Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes (ISP) + OpenWRT + web server - help desperately needed.

• 29-03-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I switched recently from Virginmedia to Vodafone. The old Virginmedia router had DMZ function, my OpenWRT router was set as the DMZ host. The OpenWRT router was linked with web server. DDNS on OpenWRT was set with afraid.org. All was working fine with some port forwarding on the VirginMedia router to the web server. Now with the new Vodafone Gigabox I can't make the server work. I also struggle with getting the OpenWRT router clients accessing the internet. The new Vodafone Gigabox had DMS function, but when I enable it I can't access OpenWRT from local network and there is a message that ports 80/433 (and others) won't be forwarded, so it's not full DMZ.

Sketch of the network:

internet----Vodafone Gigabox [VG]----OpenWRT [OW]----web server [WS]

There are more clients over wifi on both routers (laptops, phones, etc)

More details:
    VG - static IP 192.168.0.1, serves as DHCP (range 192.168.0.200-239), TCD/UDP por 443 forwarded ("mapped") to web server IP
    OW - static IP 129.168.0.2, DHCP off, gateway to 192.168.0.1,
    WS - static IP 192.168.0.31 needs port 443 (https)

My guess: double NAT problem, but there are too many loose ends and my networking knowledge is not deep enough to solve it. I'm trying to configure it for the last 3 days, I read _a lot_ about NAT, DMZ, configuring OpenWRT and I can't make it. Can someone give me some hints?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That is a mess, you have 2 different networks. You should aim to avoid double NAT at all costs. It causes too many issues, some devices like consoles like to use uPnP to open their own ports. You should have a single router handling NAT and all your devices in a single subnet.

You also shouldn't be using DMZ, it's not the correct way of doing this, you should add a portforward rule to your server on your gateway router for incoming traffic

Edit: had a reread, it may not be double NAT but could be DMZ causing you issues, don't use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why don't you configure that OpenWRT router as an access point
    https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I decided to bite the bullet and bought Turris Omnia router. So the Vodafone Gigabox is now just a gate and all the clients are on one network. And now I know that my previous configuration was a proper mess :-) Thanks!

P.S. I use DMZ for now, but I'll be working to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zero point in using the Gigabox at all. Just remove that and use VID 10 to connect out. Bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

DHCP upstream is enough or I should change something else as well?

• Advertisement
Advertisement