Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private vs public

Options
  • 29-03-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wanted to see if people have gone private and public and what the main difference is and if going private is worth it?

I am based in Limerick but itnis tough to find the price of going private it is. Where can I find this info?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wanted to see if people have gone private and public and what the main difference is and if going private is worth it?

I am based in Limerick but itnis tough to find the price of going private it is. Where can I find this info?

Thanks

I can’t speak for limerick, but in general, it seems that different consultants have different fees. You can ring the secretaries of the consultants to clarify how much each one charges.

I’ve never gone public, so I can’t give a comparison, but the most obvious differences (in my experience) are:
    Consultant present at the birth (hopefully your own, but if not, the on call consultant)
    Meeting the same person at each appointment as opposed to different ones at each
    Shorter waiting times at antenatal appointments
    Not shared care with GP, all appointments with the consultant
    Scans at every appointment, rather than just having one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Had a bit long reply done and the little one came in...

I would say first off get a list of what you will actually get from Limerick hospital going public vs private. You might be surprised that all in all there isnt a huge difference..

Most of the people I spoke to about this actually said going private was a waste, one couple mentioned the scans saying they were never offered one of the scans and some test and they went private. All the hospitals are different (you would think they would offer the same to each but nope)

Speaking from the public side (went to Galway) and cannot really fault it (bar from the lack of niceness). Yes the waiting time is a bit longer for appointments as they give a lot of people the same times, but they are;nt that bad. You do not get seen to by the same person all the time but then you are only briefly checked etc so it never bothered me. Normally a quick chat about how you are feeling, then a check of the tummy..

The consultant thing for me (he was very obnoxious so never liked him) but it never mad any odds to us, as all was straight forward and to be honest I would have more faith in the midwives that the consultant..

The room thing yes maybe it would be lovely to have your own private room, but in saying that again for the amount of time you spend in the room is it worth it. Like spending a fortune on a fancy hotel when you only sleep there.. You get the same nurses and that so the care in that regard would be the same.

For my twopence, if lets say it was not a straightforward pregnancy maybe going Private would be best, but if tis all plain sailing public is the way to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

My own experience is only in Dublin. My insurance covered semi-private and we had though about going private but on investigation found very little difference.
    You will only get a private room if one is available, I should have had a semi-private but ended up on a ward of 5 as that was the availablity at the time. As a new mother I was actually glad of the company on the ward and never being left in a room alone!
    My consultant wasn't available for my birth or half my appointments either, so that would have been a waste if paid for!
    We're TTC at the moment and will be going semi again, but only because it's covered by insurance, otherwise I would go public as I see very little difference in the 'luxury' and certainly no difference in the care and attention given.
    The midwife I had during birth was 100times more caring and attentive than the consultant I had been seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Went private all three times, money very well spent. I had sections and needed a private room which I got every time. Also wanted the continuity of care under one consultant. I'm in Dublin though, I've read on here some hospitals outside Dublin don't provide the same sort of private maternity care in the Dublin ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Went private in limerick 3 times, same consultant for first 2 (3k) and different for last baby(3.6k)(first one had stopped taking obstetrics). Money well spent. On first pregnancy they picked up issue with scan at 40week check up and I was hospitalised, ended up having emergency section while in hospital(not in labour). Other 2 were planned sections, all very calm. Got private room each time which I loved but I know others like the company of being in a ward. I think if you are trying to decide you should think about your age, general fitness, general health and your levels of stress and anxiety. I know other people who went public in Limerick and it was fine. They don't get that many scans(I had one on every visit) but you can always pay for private ones. My sister in law on her third didn't get her first scan until 27 weeks but I always wondered was that a mistake as I thought everyone had an anomoly scan at 20 week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

You can ask your GP for names of consultants who take private patients. Ring their secretaries and they will tell you their fees. Then your GP can refer you to whoever you want to go to. Expect to pay 3000+ to go private in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Also went public in Galway. I had no risk factors so I went with midwife-led care. The appointment were very quick, never waiting more than 5 mins. There wasn't really anything that a consultant would've probably done better. They always checked for the heart-beat and later on in pregnancy checked on baby size with palpation. There were only a few details recorded, like urine sample, blood pressure and weight. My pregnancy was straightforward though. Later on when the presentation was breech I got referred back to hospital and got regular extra scans for fibroids. I couldn't fault the care.
    I think unless I'd met all the consultants in person to see who I liked, I'd have had a hard time picking someone I'd wanna give 3k to for something the public system already provides me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

3000 but you claim about 1000 back using the med 2 form.

Car99 wrote: »
    3000 but you claim about 1000 back using the med 2 form.

It’s 20% of whatever you pay, with a med1 form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Went public each time in Cork, very little difference in care or room between that and private.
    Same number of scans etc.

Had a semi-private room (2 bed), but just me in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

My wife went public for #1 with the Dominos scheme and is going private for #2. I'll give you our view (so far), which I hope is balanced!

Midwives/Dominos: Pros - obviously the cost, it's completely free. But additionally there is no queuing/waiting time at appointments (they were out of town too which was handy), midwives were also very caring and supportive. The post-birth support was also great as they came to the house.

Cons - being on a ward with 9 other mothers and their babies. While others may not mind, my Mrs was drained after the birth and found it tough with the noise and commotion to recover from it, as well as starting to learn the ropes with the new arrival (breastfeeding etc).

In our case, Dominos were also short staffed on the night which meant the poor midwife was running between my wife and another mother for most of the labour. That was just bad luck of course and we had a beautiful, healthy baby who's gone from strength to strength!

The last con is subjective and maybe specific to my better-half, as she works in a field which makes use of empirical data for decision making. She found the midwives scheme less satisfying in that regard, there is less "information" available. The scans are less frequent, the midwife was different at most appointments, and she had to repeat the same information occasionally, there was little guidance on certain topics, such as getting blood tests done early on (eg harmony) and she felt a certain taboo about asking them too.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest society has made childbirth into a medical procedure, which it isn't, but at the same time treating it like this does mean more information, which in this day and age, we all crave.

She's going private with #2, which really just satisfies her need for the above and she's happy with the decision as a result. Cons are well documented, it's expensive, similar issues with multi-person wards, consultant may not be available if other emergencies arise...

On balance, Dominos/Midwives scheme really has very little to fault it overall, and we would recommend it. Personally we think there's a middle ground the health service could offer with midwife led care, coupled with additional information / scans and better management systems to ensure data is consistently available... maybe by the time #3 comes along :)

I think the issues you mention in the midwife scheme are just general issues with the HSE, hospital culture and "medical" approach to childbirth.
    There's definitely a culture of conveyor belt approach to childbirth, getting women in and out within a certain time-frame, and you'd better not ask questions, cos they know best. The inefficiencies where your data is not consistently conveyed across the service is also pretty prevalent.

On a same day visit to the hospital I had a blood sample taken by one nurse, and later on after a few repeated questions someone else wanted to take another blood sample, I asked if my previous sample wouldn't already cover the test, and after checking on the computer it apparently did. This wasn't that the info wasn't available, it's that they didn't bother to read my notes and if I didn't ask were gonna take more blood from me when it wasn't needed. I actually found the midwives a lot more to the book than the consultants. I had to insist on getting answers to my questions, but the consultants were flexible and gave me options, whereas the midwives just told me hospital policy. Partly I think it's because they don't have the power or final say during a childbirth scenario where a consultant is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I think if the price is reasonable enough we are tempted to go private just for the privacy element i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I think if the price is reasonable enough we are tempted to go private just for the privacy element i think.

Privacy element is not guaranteed and a lot of the "pros" can be cons.

e.g. seeing the same person each time. I like the idea of multiple opinions and if "one" is a gob****e you're not stuck with them.

There's a luck element to both and either way if you get lucky the care will be much the same, based on that I'd go public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Can’t really compare as We went private for both ours kids. My wife really liked the fact that we saw the same consultant every visit. Had a scan every 4 weeks even if it was just to hear the heartbeat it reassured her.

He was the one that delivered both our kids and For the first one arrived in at 6am still in his running gear as he was on his morning run when the midwife rang him.

One of her friends Went public and had complications after the birth. She says the most frustrating thing for her was dealing with a different person everytime and not having one person to deal with. She went private for her second.

limnam wrote: »
    Privacy element is not guaranteed and a lot of the "pros" can be cons.

e.g. seeing the same person each time. I like the idea of multiple opinions and if "one" is a gob****e you're not stuck with them.

There's a luck element to both and either way if you get lucky the care will be much the same, based on that I'd go public

I’ve never met a consultant who was a gob****e. You might meet someone below the consultant and think they were a gob****e if you’re a public pt, but you’ll never meet the rest of the team if you’re private. True enough, you might meet a consultant that you don’t like personally, but as a general rule, they’ll all be good at their job. The only exception might be locum consultants, but they won’t be taking on private patients.

You can ask for recommendations (your GP would be a good place to start, if no friends or family have any experience), to try and establish who will suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

If I were under thirty and healthy and likely to have a straightforward pregnancy I’d go for midwife led care. I went private and twins were only seen on second scan. If I’d been public I don’t know when we would have found out. I had scans every two weeks. Still worked out at about 200 quid for every time I was seen. Continuity of care is the main benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think it’s a very personal decision so it’s hard to get a consensus from other people.

Currently pregnant with our second child - attending the Coombe privately with the same consultant. I work in healthcare and have seen people falling between the cracks in the system before so I knew on my first baby I wanted to go private, there was also the chance of a genetic blood clotting issue which would have made the pregnancy high risk. Anyway it turns out I don’t have that but never regretted going private. It’s expensive but we can make it work. I ended up with an emergency section the last time and I was happy to have a consultant operating on me rather than a junior doctor. Similarly this time round I’ve opted for an elective section and feel in safe hands knowing who will be carrying out the procedure.

I love having the same person for every appointment so I don’t have to rehash things and keep track of who knows what, I generally don’t wait more than 30 mins for an appointment unless she’s delivering a baby which is understandable, appointments are in her rooms so I’ve been able to bring my other child with me if I don’t have childcare and it’s hassle free, private room last time was a godsend and hopefully I’m lucky enough this time too.. there’s lots of pros for me and no cons really.

Oh and this pregnancy I have Hyperemesis gravidarum which I didn’t first time round. I was able to access meds for it early and easily by contacting consultant, and was admitted when needed for fluids by her quickly when the midwives in A&E said I wasn’t bad enough to need it and should basically go home and get worse then come back... this is against best practice for HG which is badly handled in lots of Irish hospitals so it was good to have the consultant speak up for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Had all my children under private care with Dr Slevin in Limerick. Last one was 3 years ago and I paid 3k each time claiming back some fees through med1 form. I think most of the consultants in Limerick are a similar price though that amount may have increased by now.

Couldn’t fault the care I got with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’ve never met a consultant who was a gob****e. You might meet someone below the consultant and think they were a gob****e if you’re a public pt, but you’ll never meet the rest of the team if you’re private. .

I was more referring to them as a person/personality wise. e.g. you won't get stuck with someone you don't get on with etc as they change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hi,

Thanks

My wife just gave birth to our baby this week, we are in Limerick and went private with Prof Amanda Cotter.

For us it was 1000% worth every cent we paid. The care and attention we got the whole way through the pregnancy was incredible. It made my wife so relaxed to be meeting Prof Cotter every few weeks and have her there to deliver our first baby.
    Id say we had about 10 scans, every 5 weeks initially then decreaseing to every 3 weeks, 2 weeks until we got to 36 weeks when we had a weekly scan!

I know she only takes so many patients per month and won't take patients if she has holidays etc around your due date.

We paid €3600 but if we were to go again and her fee doubled I'd still be happy to pay it!! I wouldn't dream of going the public system!

Fell free to PM me with any questions

limnam wrote: »
    Privacy element is not guaranteed

My thoughts too, basically paying 3k into a lottery that you may get a private room at the hospital and that your obs is around the day you go into labour.

It's a personal decision and some people obviously feel it's worth it. For us, I don't see the benefit at all in wasting that kind of money when the public system is so good. We paid for a couple of extra scan privately last time around, and it certainly didn't cost anywhere near a consultant's fees (if this is your main benefit concern). I was low risk and everything went really well. Maybe I would feel differently about it if things went wrong and I felt they didn't detect something in time etc... Each to their own. I can appreciate the comfort it gives people knowing their particular condition is being managed in private hands.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What about semi private? Thats what i did with our two. There were 4 others in the room. It was nice.

Though i was in 10 days after on each and on day 5 post section you're moved to a public ward and that was grand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You could talk to your gp and ask them. Mine advised public but my mother in law panicked and talked me out of it. So we went private first time and public second time. I got more scans and information second time, blood tests were never done when I went private. I liked my obstetrician but he was fairly brisk and I was usually out of the door before I thought of the questions I wanted to ask. I saw different doctors going public and really didn't like one of them but he was around only once. Others were grand and consultations were probably longer. My consultant (or any other) was not present at the birth because it went too quickly. I had no major issues either time and got private room both times. I got scan at every hospital visit, first time at 9 weeks when going public which was probably too early but I was classified risky pregnancy. (I had couple of early stage miscarriages after first pregnancy but once I was over that hump I had no other problems). It probably depends where you are, how worried you are and if you have other health issues. I wouldn't pay 3k just for the private room because there is no guarantee you will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What about semi private? Thats what i did with our two. There were 4 others in the room. It was nice.

Though i was in 10 days after on each and on day 5 post section you're moved to a public ward and that was grand too.
    Semi private is a waste of money. I would go public before I'd go for that option.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it depends on the hospital. I had my first in Holles St and went semi private, paid about €1000 but had to pay extra for bloods, and all but 2 scans, so I think I paid about another €500 on top of that. Waiting times were 2 hours + for every appointment. I got a private room after the birth, but I found I was largely left on my own, not sure if I'd have gotten more attentive care on a ward. Saw a different consultant every time, and while a consultant delivered my baby, it was the one on call.

2nd time round I went to the Rotunda and semi p was €1100, which included all tests and scans, and also a breastfeeding class and nutrition class. I saw a midwife and consultant on every appointment and got a scan every time. Longest I waited was an hour but usually 15 minutes was all I'd wait. I saw the same consultant and midwife for all but 2 of my appointments. Had a semi private room after, which was 3 beds. Midwives were in and out all the time checking on us. I didn't have a consultant at the birth, because she was born so fast she nearly arrived in the hospital lobby, my consultant came to the ward afterwards for a visit, which I thought was nice.

I know a lot of people say semi P is a waste, but I really felt at the Rotunda it was worth the money. You can also claim some back on a Med1, and your health insurance may cover some of the fee. If I was in holles st again, I wouldn't bother with the semi P because as far as I could see there was next to no difference between that and public, apart from the fact that you got seen in a different area. I attended the public clinic twice there, and both those times I was actually seen quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think it's clear from replies here and from similar topics before there are huge differences between hospitals and probably even which consultant you choose.

I suspect in general private care isn't hugely safer but it might be more comfortable and more reassuring. It could be also slightly more structured and in some cases (not always) offer you more scans. I don't think there is anything to worry about going public and if you are on a tight budget spending money on a good car seat might make a lot more of a difference .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

lazygal wrote: »
    Semi private is a waste of money. I would go public before I'd go for that option.

Worked out grand for us. It was a happy medium. It was nice to have a quieter ward for a while. And though some appointment times were busy it was ok the rest of the time. I would recommend it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm going public in CUMH. Thought about going private but really didn't see much of a point in spending that amount of money. Anyone I know that went public in CUMH said they got great care. Wards are 2 or 4 bed. Not sure what they are in Limerick. No semi-private in Cork. I was with the domino scheme originally who were great but got kicked off it a few weeks ago due to having gestational diabetes. Been getting great care now since with the diabetes clinic and loads of extra scans.

I know a few people that went private so they could guarantee an elective section. Or didn't want to wait too long for appointments. Each to their own. I'd rather spend the money on baby stuff/a holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Semi-private in the Rotunda on all 3 here.

Part of the reason I did not go fully private was that I didn't actually want a consultant present at the births if I could get away with it - I felt I might be pressured into inductions to suit a consultant's schedule, or they might interfere more than needed because - well, I was paying them for it I guess.
    I got lucky and delivered all three with just a midwife in the room each time. Absolutely not something I had control over really I suppose but I was more than happy to go with whatever staff were on duty for the births, I didn't think the presence or otherwise of a specific consultant would make much of a difference.

Advertisement