Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private vs public

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

shesty wrote: »
    Semi-private in the Rotunda on all 3 here.

Part of the reason I did not go fully private was that I didn't actually want a consultant present at the births if I could get away with it - I felt I might be pressured into inductions to suit a consultant's schedule, or they might interfere more than needed because - well, I was paying them for it I guess.
    I got lucky and delivered all three with just a midwife in the room each time. Absolutely not something I had control over really I suppose but I was more than happy to go with whatever staff were on duty for the births, I didn't think the presence or otherwise of a specific consultant would make much of a difference.

Funnily enough, I’d say the exact opposite. Just goes to show that it’s so person and hospital dependant. The consultant I’ve had each time is quite hands off, and it’s one of the reasons I’ve always been glad to be fully private. On my first she had me booked in for induction at 4-5 days over, because of baby’s size and he was also OP. I ended up going myself, and I’ve always been certain I’d have ended up with a section if she wasn’t there. She was happy to give me loads of time, even though I knew no better, and would have gladly taken a section after a few difficult hours. I was even wheeled to theatre and prepped for a section, but she hung in there for me, and I was so glad!

I was also glad to have a consultant to do my stitches after a third degree tear. I’d have no issue with labour and delivery with a midwife (I’d say I’d manage away by myself st this stage, lol) but I’d rather not have anyone less senior there for a repair that’s anything more than a second degree, I’ve had a few friends who’ve had awful difficulty after discharge from hospital, and the follow up was poor. A work colleague spent 5 hours in A&E in CUMH less than a week after she had her first child, I really don’t think that’s acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭xxbrady

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wanted to see if people have gone private and public and what the main difference is and if going private is worth it?

I am based in Limerick but itnis tough to find the price of going private it is. Where can I find this info?

Thanks

Hi giggsy. Just wondrting if you decided on public or private. If private maybe you might have some advise to offer.
    My concern is that while I'll pay out for the consultant will I have any fees from the hospital from labour costs

xxbrady wrote: »
    Hi giggsy. Just wondrting if you decided on public or private. If private maybe you might have some advise to offer.
    My concern is that while I'll pay out for the consultant will I have any fees from the hospital from labour costs

No, you shouldn’t have any expenses, your health insurance covers it all, you just pay the consultant fees. That’s my experience of the private system anyhow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes same with semi-p, just the fees quoted and no other costs.

I noticed on another thread someone said they had to stay extra nights after their first and they were charged for it (semi-p, I think?) Which seems very strange and I don't think it should have happened .I spent almost two weeks in after the birth of my first (semi p), with a procedure for myself included ten days after birth, and the insurance covered it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

shesty wrote: »
    Yes same with semi-p, just the fees quoted and no other costs.

I noticed on another thread someone said they had to stay extra nights after their first and they were charged for it (semi-p, I think?) Which seems very strange and I don't think it should have happened .I spent almost two weeks in after the birth of my first (semi p), with a procedure for myself included ten days after birth, and the insurance covered it all.

Think it depends on the level of insurance.

A lot of plans i've looked at only cover x amount of nights

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Think it depends on the level of insurance.

A lot of plans i've looked at only cover x amount of nights

They only cover x amount of nights if nothing goes wrong, but if there’s a medical reason they should cover you indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Went both public and private in limerick. Would 100% go private again - no comparison. Then again my gynae was lovely such a gentleman. The public ward was like a warzone. Then again I may have been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

jlm29 wrote: »
    They only cover x amount of nights if nothing goes wrong, but if there’s a medical reason they should cover you indefinitely.

As long as there is a medical reason most plans will cover you as the maternity hospitals are all technically public hospitals. All plans cover to some extent public hospitals for overnight stays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes mine did only cover X nights, and yet it wasn't an issue when X nights were exceeded for both baby and me.
    I honestly don't know why, but it just didn't come up as a problem.
    However, in answer to the latest question, the only fees that you should pay are the quoted private fees, as long as your insurance covers your hospital stay. If your stay stretches and you are worried, you can always ring your insurance to find out if there will be an issue.
    I would also recommend ringing your company after the baby is born to put them on the insurance - although the hospital would treat the baby anyway if there are any problems, regardless of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi there,
    We are based in Limerick and have VHI health insurance. Wondering if you had to pay anything from your own pocket when you were treated as private?
    Went both public and private in limerick. Would 100% go private again - no comparison. Then again my gynae was lovely such a gentleman. The public ward was like a warzone. Then again I may have been unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hi there,
    We are based in Limerick and have VHI health insurance. Wondering if you had to pay anything from your own pocket when you were treated as private?

Yes, you pay the consultant fee (anything from 3-5k). some is recoverable through Med1 form.

VHI only cover hospital cost.

Hi there,

Had to pay 3k for gynae but we were fully for the rest. Depends on cover level I guess but I think general maternity stay would be covered..best check with vhi
    Actually we were also able to claim back some of our gynae fee with our policy...we were with laya tho

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Had to pay 3k for gynae but we were fully for the rest. Depends on cover level I guess but I think general maternity stay would be covered..best check with vhi
    Actually we were also able to claim back some of our gynae fee with our policy...we were with laya tho

I’m with VHI, company plan level 2, and have gotten back €500 of my consultant fees paid to date. Think it’s capped at €500 though.

When going private, will the consultant come to the birth? I presumed they would but my brother thinks their consultant was only there because it turned into a complicated birth.

paulers06 wrote: »
    I’m with VHI, company plan level 2, and have gotten back €500 of my consultant fees paid to date. Think it’s capped at €500 though.

When going private, will the consultant come to the birth? I presumed they would but my brother thinks their consultant was only there because it turned into a complicated birth.

Consultant will more than likely be there if private, if not your own, then whoever is on call. Obviously there’s circumstances where they won’t be, like if they don’t have time to get there etc., but generally they will!

paulers06 wrote: »

Yes they will be at the birth wherever possible...that's part of what you're paying them for...obviously not.possoble 100% of the time but.generally yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My consultant did all my c sections and came back from a scheduled day off to do the second as it was an emergency. Two friends have been with her and she attended all births for them. We were told when booking in when her annual leave was if it clashed with a due date so we had the option of changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Thanks everyone! I thought she would be but then my brother threw me. Was beginning to wonder where my 3k was going!

Advertisement