Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clonmel Train Station

• 29-03-2019 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

It is incredibly sad to see Irish Rail have allowed Clonmel Railway Station get into such a state of disrepair.

Most windows boarded up and the waiting room (when open) is dark and dingy with no staff around if assistance is required.

I understand there's very limited services on this line, but have Irish Rail no care or pride for our historic stations? Surely they should be required to properly maintain these listed buildings and stations? It's pretty upsetting to be honest! So much history around these stations and lines.

This obviously isn't just at Clonmel. I've seen similar at other stations around the country.

Bus Eireann also making a killing with their hourly Expressway services, picking up directly from the front door of the closed station house.

Irish Rail not even attempting to compete and provide the town and other stations on the line with a usable service. (and for the double daily service that does exist, many times it runs as a bus transfer) [zero services on Sundays]

Found a link to an article from 2016 regarding Carrick on Suir Station on the same line - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/carrick-on-suir-rail-station-unused-due-to-unreliable-timetable-1.2840575?mode=amp

Anyone else find this across other stations on the network?

20190329-104534.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there has been mountains of discussion on the lj to waterford line over the years on this site. both irish rail and the NTA couldn't give an absolute toss about providing a meaningful service on it. dispite the line mostly being renewed as i understand. the same crap has been going on for decades.

in relation to clonmell railway station, i'm not sure it actually is a listed building? i think some stations perhapse are but i can't imagine all are?
    either way, boarded up windows and a waiting room in the state it is in, is a ridiculous look for the railway, not that anyone in charge cares.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The only way back I see from this is for local authorities to take control of stations to the maximum extent possible, and lease out the space to themselves or others, in order to have activity. Many of these stations were presumably built when the railways were significantly more labour intensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Has the cafe at Clonmel closed again?

Last time I was there, about a year ago it was still open. It was being run as a fundraiser by the Veterans association who have rented and renovated the upper floor of the station building as their office/meeting house.

As for it being boarded up when closed, unfortunately there are vandalism issues there. One of the Bus Eireann coaches was left outside the building one night instead of being locked in their compound and within a few hours some of the local scum had gotten in and burned it out.

Advertisement