Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition inevitable?

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

No doubt about it Leo turns into whatever wind is blowing and for the most part that’s been to the betterment of the country so far. But a lot of times as with his ‘message received’ about the Greens landslide, it’s just so transparent that’s hes co opting ideas and agendas. With the hopes that they’ll be seen as progressive and we won’t notice the housing disaster, NCH debacle and NBP screwup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No doubt about it Leo turns into whatever wind is blowing and for the most part that’s been to the betterment of the country so far. But a lot of times as with his ‘message received’ about the Greens landslide, it’s just so transparent that’s hes co opting ideas and agendas. With the hopes that they’ll be seen as progressive and we won’t notice the housing disaster, NCH debacle and NBP screwup.

I disagree. He's good at diversion. Can you show how Varadkar has aided the country? Apart from more of the same I don't think he himself has added anything positive or negative, happy to be a caretaker in the most part.
    I'm surprised the greens did so well but I can't see it making much of a difference in a general election. Both the Greens and Sinn Fein would do well to push issues like housing and build on attacking wasteful deals involving tax payer monies.

Both the Greens and Sinn Fein would do well to push issues like housing and build on attacking wasteful deals involving tax payer monies.

SF has been doing that constantly. Eoin O'Broin is never off my telly telling me about homelessness.

Looking at the results how has that worked out as a strategy so far?

SF has been doing that constantly. Eoin O'Broin is never off my telly telling me about homelessness.

Well that's all he can do fair play. It's not like it isn't a problem. Be odd to have them condemned for not being good in opposition and complain they complain about national crises too much.
    I don't know. Fianna Fail are the quiet winners here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness he wasn't always just banging on about work-shy shoplifters, Islamic fundamentalists got a fair bit of love from him too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I disagree. He's good at diversion. Can you show how Varadkar has aided the country? Apart from more of the same I don't think he himself has added anything positive or negative, happy to be a caretaker in the most part.
    I'm surprised the greens did so well but I can't see it making much of a difference in a general election. Both the Greens and Sinn Fein would do well to push issues like housing and build on attacking wasteful deals involving tax payer monies.

Well his very convenient and timely coming out, less than a month before marriage equality, and to be fair getting behind repeal are two examples where there was a good outcome.

Bambi wrote: »
    In fairness he wasn't always just banging on about work-shy shoplifters, Islamic fundamentalists got a fair bit of love from him too :D

I prefer his tweets from his Kerry holiday home, eating fresh oysters whilst writing about homelessness and the struggles of the working classes. :D

Well his very convenient and timely coming out, less than a month before marriage equality, and to be fair getting behind repeal are two examples where there was a good outcome.

Fair play to him for surfing the public wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

blanch152 wrote: »
    It was the wrong decision. End of.

Bank guarantee for all except Anglo was the right call, but Lenihan convinced by McWilliams that everyone in would save the day.

Wouldn't give McWilliams the time of day on economic issues after that.
    I'm not going to defend McWilliams, I think he's over-rated to a huge extent... but let's not revise history here. We know for a fact that Drumm was so personally invested in Anglo failing would have ruined him, so he made the bank look too-big-to-fail, and he's in jail now because of that.

In reality, if the Government had time to review the financial positions of all the banks, they would have let Anglo go; but it was a snap decision based on the facts that they were presented at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Hard work pays.

To quote a (fairly) old film "My Old Man worked hard, and all they did was give him more work".
    Bambi wrote: »
    They were bamboozled by uber liberal carpet baggers who looked on SF as the handiest vehicle for their own agenda and careers. The self righteous crusades they were launching, Asylum Seekers, Traveller gangs, Islamic nutters, MLMcD snapping about men mansplaining to her. All box office poison not just to their voters but their own membership. I know SF guys who were fairly senior backroom types since the 80s who've now walked away, mostly over the Stalinist way the party was dealing with any dissenters.

That was always on the cards.Ever since the eighties Sinn Fein/IRA were associating themselves with the whole International Leftist/anti-Imperialist/"progressive"/anti-western movement. They gained support and credibility with forces that wouldn't have given the time of day to an-as they saw it-crude, old-fashoned nationalist insurrection. So they got into bed with Cuba, The Palestinians, FARC, ETA the whole shebang.

• Advertisement

If you want better pay, then get a better job. The reason there are low paying jobs is that there are plenty of people willing to accept the conditions.

Although ignorance may not be bliss, I'd guess it's very comfortable.
    I'll quote this the next time folk from the squeezed middle are complaining how tough they have it for housing and too much money goes towards the sick and poor, (be they working or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Squatter wrote: »
    I share your delight. :)

However, in fairness and just for the record, it appears that significantly more Irish people voted for Mary Lou's Donkey Militia than voted for Eamon Ryan's Bicycling Corps!

But I'd strongly urge Mary-Lou not to resign - she's doing a REALLY great job, almost as good a job as her Westminster MPs and MLAs are!

So do a lot of Shinners opponents

Advertisement