Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adults wearing sports jerseys for leisure

• 30-03-2019 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

When my son came back from college for the weekend last night I invited the lad who drove him up in for a cup of tea.

We were chatting and then I realised that my son's friend was wearing a Man United jersey. It got me thinking: I've never worn a replica jersey in my adult life and back when I was a younger man it was something you never saw anyone else doing either, except children.

Could this be a symptom of the infantilisation of society? Grown men dressing like their sporting heroes? From the impression my son's friend gave me last night, the kind of people who wear Man United or Leinster rugby jerseys past their late teens are definitely more into "Netflix binges" and superhero films rather than reading a good book. Very worrying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wouldn’t wear them on a normal day, but for gym/indoor football I’d happily wear a team’s jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    When my son came back from college for the weekend last night I invited the lad who drove him up in for a cup of tea.

We were chatting and then I realised that my son's friend was wearing a Man United jersey. It got me thinking: I've never worn a replica jersey in my adult life and back when I was a younger man it was something you never saw anyone else doing either, except children.

Could this be a symptom of the infantilisation of society? Grown men dressing like their sporting heroes? From the impression my son's friend gave me last night, the kind of people who wear Man United or Leinster rugby jerseys past their late teens are definitely more into "Netflix binges" and superhero films rather than reading a good book. Very worrying.

0/10 Try harder next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Next.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Do you support Rangers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

After Hours has a strict no team colours policy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kind of reminds me of Father Dougal wearing an Ireland jersey instead of pyjamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

People should obviously be allowed to wear whatever they want, but team jersey-wearers should recognise that they're essentially cosplayers who put no effort into their costumes. They also tend to be just as nerdy about pointless football games and stats as cosplayers are about pointless animes and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who gives a rat's a#s when men are dressing like women, women like men, gender fluid and God knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Wearing sports jerseys, watching super hero films and Netflix.

God help us, surely the end of the world is neigh.

What's next, young adults playing computer games!?!

I work in Limerick, where they are practically considered formal attire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There appears to be a very strong correlation between being an adult man who wears a Manchester United jersey and having a very red face and huge belly. Carlsberg also appears to the beer of choice for this species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wear my Celtic tops to republican rallies and protests at the British and Israeli embassy's only.

I don't wear a Celtic top nor do I attend protests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You haven't lived. The moisture-wicking qualities of jerseys are excellent and they don't need ironing. Get yourself a life and stop being a loafer, collar and chino wearing stuffy old git! Wear a jersey, start watching films that aren't in black and white, and feel what freedom is like!

It is only infantile if the person wearing it has tracksuit bottoms on and their hands down their pants.

Whats the difference in wearing a shirt with Man United or Nike or Ferrari, etc. on it? Either way you're generally paying (over the odds) to become a piece of marketing, no?

I roll my eyes anytime I see NIKE or ADIDAS in huge letters down the leg of a pair of pants, or "A+F" across someone's chest. I find it borderline embarrassing to be honest, however, I appreciate that everyone has different views of this kind of thing, which is fair enough. Many people probably think I'm a dull, boring waste of life in my plain black, generally unbranded, clothes (and they'd probably be right, but such is my own approach to life).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If your a proper dresser and book reader It appears to have just turned you into a judgemental guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Always wanted to have sex with a Playboy Bunny wearing an Aston Villa jersey.

Her, not me. I'm not a pervert ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The fashion sense of a lot of Irish men leaves a lot to be desired. There's plenty around Dublin that think a tracksuit is fashionable enough to wear to the pub when no sports are playing. With no pockets they shove their hands down the front of their tracksuit bottoms. Never ever shake their hands when you meet them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I bet the OP wears socks with sandels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks alright when someone's in normal shape, but there's something very wrong-looking about seeing lads sitting down in the pub sinking pints, jerseys strained over their beer guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Who cares really. I wouldn't judge a person off it but I think it does look "naff". Plus they have a weird way of eventually smelling due to sweat etc. give me 100% breathable cotton any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

People expressing themselves and their interests through clothing choices? What is the world coming to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

People expressing themselves and their interests through clothing choices? What is the world coming to?

They’re chav scumbags.

Grown men if football jerseys. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Whatever about adults wearing football jerseys off the pitch, there seems to be an epidemic of people wearing sports gear when going about their daily life. More often than not its the very people who could benefit the most from some actual exercise who insist on wearing lycra to tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Between this and the almost monthly thread about adult gamers, it really is funny how so many people get a bug up their arse about the harmless things other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The guys with player's surnames on the back are the worst .

Why would you wear another male's name on your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

reg114 wrote: »
    Whatever about adults wearing football jerseys off the pitch, there seems to be an epidemic of people wearing sports gear when going about their daily life. More often than not its the very people who could benefit the most from some actual exercise who insist on wearing lycra to tescos.

People were saying this in England several years back, when I lived there. I wear quite a bit of sportswear myself because it's comfortable and I have joint problems. Why wear skinny jeans and boots to Tescos when I can wear comfy leggings (not Lycra or see through) and runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The fashion sense...

There's your problem, you have a preconceived notion of what fashion is, I'd imagine supported by mainstream media and social media celebrities. I hate the notion of 'fashion' and I personally think we should avoid anything to do with it, as it sends the wrong signals to the youth of today.

I agree with you regarding the wearing of tracksuits, I don't wear them myself outside of the house. But I also disagree that labels are required, or you have to be wearing the current colours and trends. I've never owned, and will never own, skinny jeans. They're horrible things and I wonder where the lads put their balls when they're wearing them.

I'm a jeans and tshirt guy. My tshirts are 99.9% from Qwertee, and usually contain an image from a game or show that I've an interest in. I used to try and be fashionable, but to be fashionable you need the typical perfect figure. You can only have a dad-bod if you have kids, otherwise you're just fat. So I gave up on it, and I'm so much happier since I stopped giving a fluck about what people think about the clothes I'm wearing.

End fashion, and the world will be a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I always wear my players fit Galway hurling jersey when riding my wife as it improves performance. I wear the normal jersey when lounging or out and about at the weekends and after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I wear my GAA club's gear when I'm out running or training or playing some 5-a-side. It's the only sports gear that I own besides boots and runners so I don't have much choice. I wouldn't wear them out socially unless it was some club-related event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wore a Leinster jersey to a job interview. I got a few odd looks in the waiting area.
    However, once in the interview I got a knowing nod from the interviewer. We performed the secret Leinster handshake and I showed them my rugger club ID card.
    We then proceeded down to the secret initiation hall where I received my AMG keys, deeds to my south Dublin home and a big bag of cash.
    I didn't even get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Who da fuq wants to read a book when you can go out & support your team live? (I mean be physically there watching & just sitting at the bar watching!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't see what the issue is here.

Granted I think men should stop wearing football shirts once they hit 40, but really who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

EICVD wrote: »
    Who da fuq wants to read a book when you can go out & support your team live? (I mean be physically there watching & just sitting at the bar watching!)
    There's room for both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

EICVD wrote: »
    You're confusing reading and football :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

As with most of your posts there’s a sense of unwarranted superiority from a man who has led a life Karl Marx rightly described as “The idiocy of rural life”. I’m sure it has its charms, jumping in cow patties, jumping in puddles, and engaging curtain twitching gossip but not for those with more ambition and brainpower.

However you are not wrong on the wearing of jerseys, soccer jerseys in the cities and GAA jerseys in the country. Childish indeed. Except when going to a game perhaps. Or a club member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The kind of people who wear Leinster rugby jerseys are definitely lacking in meaningful brain activity

I couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

OP has a point tho, they say children don't become adults till their 30s nowadays, I mean I know guys in their 40s still living at home with Mammy - and they have their own flat they would just rather rent it out and have a dinner and laundry service at home instead.

Very worrying indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

People wearing GAA jerseys abroad is the worst. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wear socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

An old English workmate once told me, "there are only 3 types of people who should wear football shirts: footballers, 10 year old boys, and 19 year old girls with big t1ts :) '

Nothing I've seen since has proven him wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

mad muffin wrote: »
    I wear socks.

With shin guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Lorelli! wrote: »
    With shin guards?

No way man. That’s just uncouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Lorelli! wrote: »
    With shin guards?

Don't forget the captains armband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This ****e comes up every few months. Jaysus lads, get over what other lads wear, does it really affect your life in any way?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Gwynplaine wrote:
    People wearing GAA jerseys abroad is the worst. Avoid like the plague.

Those jerseys are garish. Colours clash e.g. red green. They're so tacky and brassy with huge sponsor names luke plant hire or plumbers. Nothing classy about them. Uggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There appears to be a very strong correlation between being an adult man who wears a Manchester United jersey and having a very red face and huge belly. Carlsberg also appears to the beer of choice for this species.

No United fan would drink Carlsberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why do you care? Strangers wearing jerseys affect you in no way whatsoever, this is an internal issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I try not to judge people by what they wear or their circumstances in life(living at home) , if its not affecting or hurting anyone whats the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

This guy your referring to had the decency to give your son a lift home and your on here slagging him over his choice of top he wore?

• Advertisement
Advertisement