Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adults wearing sports jerseys for leisure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    People wearing GAA jerseys abroad is the worst. Avoid like the plague.

Avoid irish bars and you'll never see them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BBFAN wrote: »
    This ****e comes up every few months. Jaysus lads, get over what other lads wear, does it really affect your life in any way?????

You wouldn't say that about the people wearing pajamas going to the shops.

Pajamas = for lounging around the house or for going to bed.

Sportswear = for playing sports or while watching a football match.

Sportswear or pajamas for fashion wear = Chav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Woke doesn't even rhyme with Hulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Boards is really gone to ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I think it's alright to wear a jersey if you're playing a match or going to the gym, maybe even to watch a game if it's a final or something. But there's definitely something off for me if you're a person in their 20s or older wearing a sports top in the pub or whatever. It just seems immature to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Always wanted to have sex with a Playboy Bunny wearing an Aston Villa jersey.

Her, not me. I'm not a pervert ffs.

I've tried that myself. Hasn't happened yet but good loves a tryer.

I just cant seem to get all these playboy bunnies to put the aston villa shirt on before I bang them.

No respect if you ask me.

UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Doesn't happen here in Australia unless they're clearly off attending a match. Very much an Irish/English thing. I do find it a bit cringey but whatever, no real harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You wouldn't say that about the people wearing pajamas going to the shops.

Pajamas = for lounging around the house or for going to bed.

Sportswear = for playing sports or while watching a football match.

Sportswear or pajamas for fashion wear = Chav

How about somebody wearing clothing that may be considered sexaul?
    Does it mean they are asking for sex?
    No, it doesn't.
    Same way a tracksuit doesn't always indicate somebody is playing sport/exercise.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I think it's alright to wear a jersey if you're playing a match or going to the gym, maybe even to watch a game if it's a final or something. But there's definitely something off for me if you're a person in their 20s or older wearing a sports top in the pub or whatever. It just seems immature to me.

Sorry now bit I'd have to question your parenting ability here.
    How can you leave your son get a drive off somebody so immature?
    Next time tell him to get the bus or taxi or arrange a lift with somebody mature enough.
    I'd also be careful selecting the taxi driver and bus driver. I've seen taxi drivers wear jerseys and tracksuits.

• Advertisement

How about somebody wearing clothing that may be considered sexaul? Does it mean they are asking for sex? No, it doesn't. Same way a tracksuit doesn't always indicate somebody is playing sport/exercise.

The difference is pajamas are designed for sleeping in. Sports clothing is designed for sports people. Neither one is designed for a night out on the town.

I would consider someone wearing "sexual clothing" (unless lingerie) an idiot for wearing it to bed. It's not designed for bed. What we are talking about here is people wearing sports clothing or pajamas as fashionable clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

They look awful especially on older overweight men and feel very uncomfortable especially GAA jerseys like a cheap polyester top. But I don't get why anyone would have an issue with what others wear.

The difference is pajamas are designed for sleeping in. Sports clothing is designed for sports people. Neither one is designed for a night out on the town.

I would consider someone wearing "sexual clothing" (unless lingerie) an idiot for wearing it to bed. It's not designed for bed. What we are talking about here is people wearing sports clothing or pajamas as fashionable clothing.

Pajamas are designed for sleeping in?
    So, if you get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet you get dressed immediately into propeller clothing because your not sleeping.
    Sports clothing is for sports people now, What about somebody who likes a bit of exercise and they may not be considered sporty.
    The OP also said that the son was being dropped home from college and they was no mention of a night on the town.

Pajamas are designed for sleeping in? So, if you get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet you get dressed immediately into propeller clothing because your not sleeping. Sports clothing is for sports people now, What about somebody who likes a bit of exercise and they may not be considered sporty. The OP also said that the son was being dropped home from college and they was no mention of a night on the town.

Ah you are being silly now.

What type of person wears tracksuit & football tops as regular clothing when there is no sport to play or watch on TV? Why do all nightclubs have a total ban on tracksuits and sports tops?

95 percent of Ireland's male prison population dress in tracksuit & football tops every day. Half of them actually show up in court in tracksuits.

What type of person wears tracksuit & football tops as regular clothing when there is no sport to play or watch on TV? Why do all nightclubs have a total ban on tracksuits and sports tops?

95 percent of Ireland's male prison population dress in tracksuit & football tops every day. Half of them actually show up in court in tracksuits.

I'm only replying to what you said.
    I'm not a judgmental person and I don't judge people by what they a wearing. I've seen Nurses, Principals, solicitors, doctors, dress in tracksuits whilst shopping or popping out of the house on matters that weren't for exercise.
    Some night clubs have a dress code and others don't depending on the area.
    Where are you getting you stats from about what prisoners wears and what they wear to court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I guarantee that nearly everybody in this thread is wearing at least one item of clothing for reasons other than it's original purpose. I know I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I guarantee that nearly everybody in this thread is wearing at least one item of clothing for reasons other than it's original purpose. I know I am.

:eek:
    How did you know I had sports socks when I'm not playing sports at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yep. I'm only wearing a gimp mask to keep my hair dry in the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

:eek:
    How did you know I had sports socks when I'm not playing sports at the moment?
    I went through your drawers last night when you were sleeping.
    Archeron wrote: »
    Yep. I'm only wearing a gimp mask to keep my hair dry in the shower.
    As long as it turns you on, no-one's going to stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

You come across as a very judgemental person, generalising everyone who wears a certain type of clothing

Sorry now bit I'd have to question your parenting ability here.
    How can you leave your son get a drive off somebody so immature?
    Next time tell him to get the bus or taxi or arrange a lift with somebody mature enough.
    I'd also be careful selecting the taxi driver and bus driver. I've seen taxi drivers wear jerseys and tracksuits.
    My son is a grown man, my days of parenting him are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Cretins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the materials jerseys are made of are absolutely horrific

My son is a grown man, my days of parenting him are over.

At least it appears that he takes after his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I've never worn a replica jersey in my adult life and back when I was a younger man it was something you never saw anyone else doing either, except children.

Get up the yard

I remember old and young around Ireland wearing Blackburn Rovers jerseys in Ireland in the 1990's and that's over 20 years ago

Sure county Clare and that scorcher of a summer in '95, plenty of jerseys sold

It's nothing new

At least it appears that he takes after his mother.

I don’t follow, what do you mean?

I don’t follow, what do you mean?

He's not judgemental like you over the silliest of things

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Get up the yard

I remember old and young around Ireland wearing Blackburn Rovers jerseys in Ireland in the 1990's and that's over 20 years ago

Sure county Clare and that scorcher of a summer in '95, plenty of jerseys sold

It's nothing new
    Twenty years ago yes but it wasn’t something you would have seen thirty or forty years ago. Maybe down in the capital but Dublin tends to be a bit of a trendsetter for these things.

jk23 wrote:
    You come across as a very judgemental person, generalising everyone who wears a certain type of clothing

I just pointed out that 95 percent of the Irish prison population dress every day in tracksuits and sports tops. A huge proportion of these appear in court wearing tracksuits. This is their uniform. This is why night clubs don't allow tracksuits. They don't want their night club to have a chave image nor do they want to attract that "type" of customer. I had a security company & we had the contract for cinemas, leisure centres, pubs, clubs and hotels all over Dublin. We would lose a contract if we were to allow customers into hotels and night clubs in tracksuits and sport tops.

This is all fact. You can wear what you want. The pub I'm in most Friday afternoons has a lot of lads in tracksuits. This doesn't bother me. All Im doing is stating facts that tracksuits, sport tops and pajamas are frowned upon & are seen as chave uniforms by hotels, night clubs and some pubs

I'm not generalising anything. I'm not casting judgement. Plenty of sports people go for a coffee /beer after training in tracksuits. Plenty wear Ireland Jerseys going to the pub to watch a match. I never suggested that there is anything wrong with this.

Woke Hogan wrote:
    Twenty years ago yes but it wasn’t something you would have seen thirty or forty years ago. Maybe down in the capital but Dublin tends to be a bit of a trendsetter for these things.

The vast majority of pubs in Dublin wouldn't have let you in the door in football tops in the 80s. It changed in pubs around July 1990 when Ireland were in the world Cup final.

The vast majority of pubs in Dublin wouldn't have let you in the door in football tops in the 80s. It changed in pubs around July 1990 when Ireland were in the world Cup final.

Quarter final.

I do remember adults wearing football jerseys becoming more prominent in the early 90s. Italia 90 is responsible for a lot of what I’m talking about: adults behaving like children and being celebrated for it. It was disgraceful. Loolahs running around the road with inflatable hammers, jumping on cars like monkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Well I wear tracksuit bottoms on a day to day basis generally darker ones like navy or black grey ones are a big no non and scream knacker. I wear them around the house and out and about doing ordinary day to day tasks like walking the dog or going shopping but I certainly wouldn't wear going anywhere decent. I find them comfortable and practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I just pointed out that 95 percent of the Irish prison population dress every day in tracksuits and sports tops. A huge proportion of these appear in court wearing tracksuits. This is their uniform. This is why night clubs don't allow tracksuits. They don't want their night club to have a chave image nor do they want to attract that "type" of customer. I had a security company & we had the contract for cinemas, leisure centres, pubs, clubs and hotels all over Dublin. We would lose a contract if we were to allow customers into hotels and night clubs in tracksuits and sport tops.

This is all fact. You can wear what you want. The pub I'm in most Friday afternoons has a lot of lads in tracksuits. This doesn't bother me. All Im doing is stating facts that tracksuits, sport tops and pajamas are frowned upon & are seen as chave uniforms by hotels, night clubs and some pubs

I'm not generalising anything. I'm not casting judgement. Plenty of sports people go for a coffee /beer after training in tracksuits. Plenty wear Ireland Jerseys going to the pub to watch a match. I never suggested that there is anything wrong with this.

Oh I misread your post then, yes I would agree with you on establishments like that being cautious of letting anyone wearing gear like that if there wasn't a sporting event on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Well in that case I think it's

1. A money thing, everyone (bar the elite!) were broke in the 70's and indeed 80's
    2. Wasn't the same media back then. English football was 3:30 on a Saturday and RTE didn't show it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Well I wear tracksuit bottoms on a day to day basis generally darker ones like navy or black grey ones are a big no non and scream knacker. I wear them around the house and out and about doing ordinary day to day tasks like walking the dog or going shopping but I certainly wouldn't wear going anywhere decent. I find them comfortable and practical.

Yep, same here.

I don't see what the issue is here.

Granted I think men should stop wearing football shirts once they hit 40, but really who cares?

There is definitely an age when (outside of attending a match) it just seems silly to be wearing a sports jersey. Would say it's closer to 30 than forty though.

There is definitely an age when (outside of attending a match) it just seems silly to be wearing a sports jersey. Would say it's closer to 30 than forty though.
    I'd say 20 is the limit in my view. It's ridiculous seeing a lad aged about 25 going around in a football jersey. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I wear my ice hockey jerseys just to walk to shop or going to any other places. They aren't something people would see. I am in my 30s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'd say 20 is the limit in my view. It's ridiculous seeing a lad aged about 25 going around in a football jersey. Ridiculous.

While I don't wear jerseys, I meet a lot of your criteria of the dreaded cultural cretins. I go to lots of superhero films, read comics, play videogames, love a good netflix binge and I'm in my late twenties. I read plenty of both factual and fictional books. So I think you're being a tad judgmental, people wearing clothing that they're comfortable is all good in my books. Every generation is different.

batgoat wrote: »
    While I don't wear jerseys, I meet a lot of your criteria of the dreaded cultural cretins. I go to lots of superhero films, read comics, play videogames, love a good netflix binge and I'm in my late twenties. I read plenty of both factual and fictional books. So I think you're being a tad judgmental, people wearing clothing that they're comfortable is all good in my books. Every generation is different.

However, it’s not a generational thing. It’s this one guy that has the problem with it. Not his whole generation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ive an auld pair of comfy camouflage cargo shorts.

Ive never been in 'Nam

Ive an auld pair of comfy camouflage cargo shorts.

Ive never been in 'Nam

Shame on you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who gives a rat's a#s when men are dressing like women, women like men, gender fluid and God knows what else.

It the football fluid ones you want to watch out for.

batgoat wrote: »
    I don't consider myself being judgemental. Obviously you have the right to bingewatch Netflix, play videogames and watch superhero films but I think you're wasting your life when you engage in those activities. I don't think you're a lesser person for it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I don't consider myself being judgemental. Obviously you have the right to bingewatch Netflix, play videogames and watch superhero films but I think you're wasting your life when you engage in those activities. I don't think you're a lesser person for it, though.

You can argue anything is wasting your life. I'm sure your life is filled with plenty of activities that could be classified as wasting your life, you've merely not perceived them as such.Enjoying one's life can consist of many different things. Eg I do plenty of travel, have a good job, I'm always learning.

Saying to a person that they're wasting their life by engaging in hobbies does sound incredibly judgmental btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not a sports fan myself, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I wear jerseys for comfort on my days off work sometimes. I've to wear a shirt and tie when I'm working so you can bet your balls im gonna get comfortable when I'm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I wear jerseys for comfort on my days off work sometimes. I've to wear a shirt and tie when I'm working so you can bet your balls im gonna get comfortable when I'm off.

And a normal t-shirt doesn't suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Beyond wearing a jersey for what it's designed to do (i.e. playing the sport/attending/watching matches) there's a classier way to show your club allegiance and it's to buy a Polo shirt with the club crest emblazoned on it. Far more stylish but I guess it might provoke derision from other's who wouldn't dare to try and stand out and who feel safer looking like everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

And a normal t-shirt doesn't suffice?

My wife gives out all the time about the amount of tshirts I own, it must be about 100 at this stage. I don't particularly care if its a sports jersey or a "normal" t-shirt, I'll put on whatever is comfortable and close to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have to say iv never worn one as a grown man,

I go to Liverpool games about 3 times a year and I only wear a Liverpool scarf ,

I leave the jersey wearing to my kids, But I can understand people wearing them training or running, or some other sport related activity, Just not my thing ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement