Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

see my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

TeaIsCrack wrote: »
    Has anyone had success refilling cannisters with the Protection Valve? I've tried doing mine ridiculously slowly and can't get it to work...

Did my first one the other day. Make sure to put it in the freezer overnight. Then when opening the valve, barely open it. Like the tiniest amount possible and then supposedly you can open it up more after that but I just left it to go in slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

wassie wrote: »

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeaIsCrack

Raoul wrote: »
    Did my first one the other day. Make sure to put it in the freezer overnight. Then when opening the valve, barely open it. Like the tiniest amount possible and then supposedly you can open it up more after that but I just left it to go in slowly.

And can you hear it flowing when you open it a tiny crack? I can't hear any noise, I slowly turned it about a quarter turn over 5 minutes (it was really boring) and never heard anything, it didn't fill at all. There was pressure in the release valve when I undid it to remove, so I presume that means there's no dip tube issue or anything, they told me it had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

And can you hear it flowing when you open it a tiny crack? I can't hear any noise, I slowly turned it about a quarter turn over 5 minutes (it was really boring) and never heard anything, it didn't fill at all. There was pressure in the release valve when I undid it to remove, so I presume that means there's no dip tube issue or anything, they told me it had one.

Well, mine definitely has a dip tube. I would trust yours does too if they said it. I suspect a quarter turn is too much to be honest, but I know you said over 5 min, so maybe that isn't an issue.

I barely moved it at all, like 1/50 of a turn ha. Then you hear the tiniest of hisses. You nearly have to have your ear beside the thing to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If there was pressure when you undid the release valve theres definitely a dip tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Thats exactly what was happening to me. I could not get it to work no matter what I tried. When I changed and used the old connector it was night and day. I could hear it flowing and it worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeaIsCrack

crazyderk wrote: »
    Thats exactly what was happening to me. I could not get it to work no matter what I tried. When I changed and used the old connector it was night and day. I could hear it flowing and it worked a treat.

Okay. Have ordered new "old" connectors from the site linked earlier! Thanks for feedback people.

Do you need a regulator for this ?

Collecting the CO2 from AJ Edge tomorrow hopefully, made sure to ask about a dip tube, and I have the tube and connectors for the transfer - I have 2 "new" style cannisters but the instructions that came with the thing say it will do that style, so going to try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Do you need a regulator for this ?

Collecting the CO2 from AJ Edge tomorrow hopefully, made sure to ask about a dip tube, and I have the tube and connectors for the transfer - I have 2 "new" style cannisters but the instructions that came with the thing say it will do that style, so going to try that first.

The "new" valves are definitely finicky and by the sound of it the workaround of slowly releasing the donor valve until you hear a stream of CO2 transferring may not work in all cases as seems to be the situation with TeaIsCrack.

All I can add is that for me when I refill the one "new" canister I have I try to open the donor valve less than 1mm at at a time and as soon as I hear the low level screech of the CO2 transferring I then open it a little more but never fast and never all the way open as too much pressure on the "new" valves forces them past the "open" position into a 2nd "closed" position. You have to find the middle of the range CLOSED-OPEN-CLOSED for the CO2 to transfer and keep the valve in that position until the transfer is complete.

I guess some of the new valves may simply be more sensitive or looser than others and therefore harder to manually find the open sweet spot.

• Advertisement

yeah I've been watching videos today so thanks for confirming that method

I'll give it a go and if it's too much like hassle I'll just get a replacement "old style" and fit it, that doesn't seem like it's at all difficult to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but KSS Fire Suppression in Tallaght do refills for €10 a bottle.

Only took them 5min to do 2 of mine.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but KSS Fire Suppression in Tallaght do refills for €10 a bottle.

Nice, that's definitely useful for those who don't want to bother with getting their own can.

The numbers work out to 4.50 a refill based on getting the full 11 refills out of it for the first can which costs 50 euro and then with a refill on that which i think last i saw AJ are providing for 20 that 4.50 comes down to about 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Hi all

Bought a new sodastream and wondering where do you all get the replacement tanks? Seems not available in argos - all info seems to be only relevant for the UK.

I can see them on Amazon for 22 gbp but do you get to replace the empty ones at a discount?

Thanks and regards

og2k7 wrote: »
    Hi all

Bought a new sodastream and wondering where do you all get the replacement tanks? Seems not available in argos - all info seems to be only relevant for the UK.

I can see them on Amazon for 22 gbp but do you get to replace the empty ones at a discount?

Thanks and regards

If they have them in stock Harvey Norman do the trade ins for 22 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Thats very helpful - do you just show up or need to book an appointment?

Thanks

Do the bottles need to be cooled first?

I just showed up - he pretty much looked at me and said “Sodastream?” So im assuming they are doing it a lot or I need to rethink my style a little.

Didn’t have to do anything with the bottles, they are the new style I think and they were very cold when I got them back.

Quicker than Argos and money going to an Irish business. Win Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

I just showed up - he pretty much looked at me and said “Sodastream?” So im assuming they are doing it a lot or I need to rethink my style a little.

Didn’t have to do anything with the bottles, they are the new style I think and they were very cold when I got them back.

Quicker than Argos and money going to an Irish business. Win Win.

Could be a false economy as if the bottles aren't kept in the freezer before refilling it is difficult to get them beyond half full. Might be worth weighing them before and after to see how much gas you received. A full cylinder has about 425g I think.

A great option to have local though, just maybe something worth considering or checking out.

jimmy86 wrote: »
    Could be a false economy as if the bottles aren't kept in the freezer before refilling it is difficult to get them beyond half full. Might be worth weighing them before and after to see how much gas you received. A full cylinder has about 425g I think.

A great option to have local though, just maybe something worth considering or checking out.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just adding the Co2 to the bottle should cool it a bit but like you say if its not put in a freezer for a few hours prior to the fill your unlikely to get it more than half as full as it should be.

• Advertisement

The bottles are about 1.41kg now so not sure if anyone can tell me what an empty weights?

I’ll know for next time to freeze them but I’ve been out of Gas since March so delighted either way.

The bottles are about 1.41kg now so not sure if anyone can tell me what an empty weights?

I’ll know for next time to freeze them but I’ve been out of Gas since March so delighted either way.

An empty one should be around 750g and a good fill should add 400-420g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, just adding the Co2 to the bottle should cool it a bit but like you say if its not put in a freezer for a few hours prior to the fill your unlikely to get it more than half as full as it should be.

They are could also be chilling them by partially filling and the depressurising them rapidly - just like when you use an aerosol. Not same as a freezer but would make a significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Are you talking about refilling a 5KG "donor" canister similar to a fire extinguisher or are you talking about refilling the actual Sodastream bottles/canisters?

Looks like they supply food grade CO2 on a very professional basis - http://carbondioxide.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

VinLieger wrote: »
    An empty one should be around 750g and a good fill should add 400-420g

I checked mine before I had them filled at KSS and they vary slightly, but I got 480g of a difference.

I froze two, and left the others at room temp, and no difference.

He charged me €40 to fill 5 of them. Really sound guy, and great service.

Had to trek over from Dublin 3 though, and traffic was horrible, around lunch time.

I’ll cycle over the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I just showed up - he pretty much looked at me and said “Sodastream?

:D:D:D:D

just about to attempt a re-fill on a "new style" cylinder....will update soon

didn't work, the connector to the co2 cylinder is CGA 320 and not the correct fitting, so the co2 is exiting the donor cylinder but not flowing to the sodastream cylinder

Finally!

Got the correct things I needed, including replacing the new for old style bottle tops.

Just filled a cannister!

Can't find the bleedin sodastream machine mine

• Advertisement

Yeah, found it anyway and successfully drinking carbonated water again. Wife is delighted

For those reading and wanting to do this, here is what I used

This adapter

This valve to replace the "new" style on the current cylinders.

a 5kg CO2 Cylinder from AJ Edge in Bray that cost 50 quid, and whatever for the refills.

So for a Capital Outlay of about €125 (more or less) I can now refill my 2 cylinders for a fraction of the cost.

With all the faffing I probably lost 1 fill from the 5 litres, but even if I get 5 fills from the initial purchase that will cover the cost of the outlay in the cost of refills from The Range or elsewhere.

Very happy with that, and it was easy enough.

One piece of advice for replacing the valve - use the small knob on the side to release the left overpressure in the bottle before attempting to remove the valve, it was small but was causing issues, once I opened that it was trivial to get the old valve out.

Advertisement