Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

comput1 wrote: »
    Would you mind to PM me the email text as I’ve not got any instructions. Compressed gas- what could go wrong!

Pmme your email. There were pictures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

So has anybody yet connected their sodastream directly to a large (eg 5KG) CO2 cylinder for long-term use? I'm curious about how to set that up, and how to control (if necessary) the pressure... thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hey All, this is a fantastic thread!

I got a Sodastream for christmas just assuming it would be a nice easy way to enjoy some cheaper less plasticy bubbles, after googling about replacement bottles i found this thread and im delighted i get to turn this into the perfect lock down 3 project that will make the whole thing even cheaper than i originally thought!

Anyway it looks like i have one of the newer valves on the one sodastream bottle that i have, can anyone confirm exactly what i need? As im not 100% if i need to replace this valve or if i can still attempt to just use the adapter from here https://www.co2-adapter.com/ by itself?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

I think that adaptor will work with either type of sodastream bottle valve. I have two different bottles (one with a wide, flat round pin and the other a small pin standing inside a hex-shaped cavity) and they both refill easily with the same adaptor. I read somewhere that one of them requires you to refill very slowly at first or the pressure will push back the pin and prevent refill.
    PS you can buy that same adaptor on Alibaba for much less, perhaps without the central pin. I found I didn't need any pin to refill my bottles.

Think i might actually go for this version https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html i like the pressure dial and the ability for the sodastream bottle to be vertical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Few questions if somebody could help, I have the SodaStream Cylinder Refilling Adapter from CO2 supermarket currently on there way to me in the post, but I'm in the process of sourcing a gas canister.

Looking at stargas.ie they have vendors all around Ireland, am I looking for a liquid or vapor canister? (from what I've learned its liquid but I wanted to be sure)
    Also, I take it that it has to be food grade CO2? - these https://www.stargas.ie/Gas/co2-gas ? (am thinking of going with maybe 20litre)

Finally, ideally, I take it that I'd want the canister to have a dip tube as this will save me turning it upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Cabaal wrote: »
    Few questions if somebody could help, I have the SodaStream Cylinder Refilling Adapter from CO2 supermarket currently on there way to me in the post, but I'm in the process of sourcing a gas canister.

Looking at stargas.ie they have vendors all around Ireland, am I looking for a liquid or vapor canister? (from what I've learned its liquid but I wanted to be sure)
    Also, I take it that it has to be food grade CO2? - these https://www.stargas.ie/Gas/co2-gas ? (am thinking of going with maybe 20litre)

Finally, ideally, I take it that I'd want the canister to have a dip tube as this will save me turning it upside down.

I'm open to correction but I do believe it's liquid Co2 you want and definitely with a dip tube.

The pricing you linked to seems expensive to me both for the canister itself and the refills but then they look like a very professional and commercial outfit.

AJ Edge in Bray make and refill canisters as as an add-on to their business so aren't as slick (by a long way) compared to Stargas but are a small fraction of the price. IIRC a 5kg canister (with dip tube if you remember to ask) is €25 and a refill is €10.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

54and56 wrote: »
    AJ Edge in Bray make and refill canisters as as an add-on to their business so aren't as slick (by a long way) compared to Stargas but are a small fraction of the price. IIRC a 5kg canister (with dip tube if you remember to ask) is €25 and a refill is €10.

Oh I agree, they are certainly more expensive alright

But with the lockdown and the fact Bray would be 2hr drive my options are a little limited.

I'm curious how many refills could I expect out of a 10ltr/5kg canister... Roughly?

I'm curious how many refills could I expect out of a 10ltr/5kg canister... Roughly?

Each fill takes a max 435g of Co2 (assuming an empty cylinder) so a 5kg tank will in theory give you 11 fills.

Anecdotally I'd say I get 10 or 11 all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Oh I agree, they are certainly more expensive alright

But with the lockdown and the fact Bray would be 2hr drive my options are a little limited.

I'm in the exact same boat, I'm assuming the guys in Bray don't deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ruairi.g

Does anyone know where I can walk in and buy a CO2 gas cylinder in or around Galway or Mayo!
    I see Harvey Norman stock them, but they have to be ordered in, Argos is by postage only!

I also see from this thread that people are refilling the canisters themselves, where can the larger canisters be got, to refill from! Is it the same gas used for lager??

Ruairi.g wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can walk in and buy a CO2 gas cylinder in or around Galway or Mayo!
    I see Harvey Norman stock them, but they have to be ordered in, Argos is by postage only!

I also see from this thread that people are refilling the canisters themselves, where can the larger canisters be got, to refill from! Is it the same gas used for lager??

I would assume so. Food grade CO2. Most people on this thread seem to be on the east coast and getting the large canisters from Bray.

Raoul wrote: »
    I would assume so. Food grade CO2. Most people on this thread seem to be on the east coast and getting the large canisters from Bray.

I’m sure if you have the proper adaptor, a friendly public an would help you out?

And...... anywhere in Galway that stocks the canisters? Or Mayo?

Raoul wrote: »

I’m sure if you have the proper adaptor, a friendly public an would help you out?

And...... anywhere in Galway that stocks the canisters? Or Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've a sodastream arriving today. Very interested in using our own tank of CO2 for refills. We have a shed to store one but I've no idea what adaptor to get. This is the one I've ordered. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/food-and-drink-preparation/juicers-and-blenders/sodastream-spirit-sparkling-water-maker-black-10169772-pdt.html
    Any tips welcome or if anyone can confirm the hacks on this thread will work I'd be most grateful!

lazygal wrote: »
    I've a sodastream arriving today. Very interested in using our own tank of CO2 for refills. We have a shed to store one but I've no idea what adaptor to get. This is the one I've ordered. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/food-and-drink-preparation/juicers-and-blenders/sodastream-spirit-sparkling-water-maker-black-10169772-pdt.html
    Any tips welcome or if anyone can confirm the hacks on this thread will work I'd be most grateful!
    The hacks on the thread have been confirmed to work a good few times. Just order one of the adapters mentioned and if you are near Dublin, get onto ajedge in Bray to get your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement sodastream canister? I'm planning on doing refills but haven't gotten around to getting all the bits yet so just want to pick up a canister.

I'm in Galway if that helps. I looked at argos but can't seem to order them and I don't think they're open to go in these days?

theintern wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement sodastream canister? I'm planning on doing refills but haven't gotten around to getting all the bits yet so just want to pick up a canister.

I'm in Galway if that helps. I looked at argos but can't seem to order them and I don't think they're open to go in these days?

I bought one off https://www.mccauley.ie/ last week they are delivering too

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Ah nice one. I tried that site before and it crashed on me, but worked today. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anyone find out if AJ Edge deliver? Or walk in only?

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Anyone find out if AJ Edge deliver? Or walk in only?

Having been out to them a few times I can't imagine they offer a delivery service for CO2 top ups etc.

Their main business is Fire Extinguishers. I get the impression they do CO2 canister conversions and top ups for a bit of canteen money more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

54and56 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I do believe it's liquid Co2 you want and definitely with a dip tube.

The pricing you linked to seems expensive to me both for the canister itself and the refills but then they look like a very professional and commercial outfit.

Update:
    The first canister is now 50€ I’m not sure about refills...

comput1 wrote: »
    Update:
    The first canister is now 50€ I’m not sure about refills...

Yeah, I think I was incorrect about the €25.

Refills are €10 or maybe €15. I can't actually recall as I've only done one refill thus far a few months ago.

Hi all.

So I went off and ordered my CO2 tank, and simultaneously ordered the adapter that I thought I would need here:

https://www.co2-adapter.de/adapter2/

Unfortunately for me , the connection on the CO2 tank has an inside thread, as does the adapter, so I can't connect them. I've attached an image so you can see the dilemma...

The inside thread on the tank connection, does not match my soda stream cannisters' thread, so attaching them directly to the tank without the adapter doesn't work.

The tank I ordered is this one from stargas:

https://www.stargas.ie/co2-gas/star-co2-liquid

I've got back in touch with them and but didn't get far. They said that all of their tanks have the same connection and "others have had the same problems" as myself when it comes to soda stream refilling, but no solution suggested.

So has any one else faced a similar challenge? At the moment it looks like my only option is to return the tank to stargas and get another one from someone else with a different connection on top of the tank that matches the adapter.

Any help/advice would be great.

Hi all.

So I went off and ordered my CO2 tank, and simultaneously ordered the adapter that I thought I would need here:

https://www.co2-adapter.de/adapter2/

Unfortunately for me , the connection on the CO2 tank has an inside thread, as does the adapter, so I can't connect them. I've attached an image so you can see the dilemma...

The inside thread on the tank connection, does not match my soda stream cannisters' thread, so attaching them directly to the tank without the adapter doesn't work.

The tank I ordered is this one from stargas:

https://www.stargas.ie/co2-gas/star-co2-liquid

I've got back in touch with them and but didn't get far. They said that all of their tanks have the same connection and "others have had the same problems" as myself when it comes to soda stream refilling, but no solution suggested.

So has any one else faced a similar challenge? At the moment it looks like my only option is to return the tank to stargas and get another one from someone else with a different connection on top of the tank that matches the adapter.

Any help/advice would be great.

Only solution I can think of is finding out from stargas what kind of threading is used on their tank then looking for some kind of a male to male adapter that matches the stargas threading to the co2 adapter threading, if such a thing exists at all is another question though.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Only solution I can think of is finding out from stargas what kind of threading is used on their tank then looking for some kind of a male to male adapter that matches the stargas threading to the co2 adapter threading, if such a thing exists at all is another question though.

Thanks for that VinLieger.

Unfortunately I'm at a dead end here. Stargas not too knowledgeable about the whole topic of connections and adapters, so looks like I'll be returning their tank for a refund.

I'm really struggling to find another company that sells food grade CO2 tanks online. Has anyone managed this?
    Going to Bray just isn't an option at the mo as I'm in Waterford.

Maybe I'm just internetting googley badly...

Unfortunately I'm at a dead end here. Stargas not too knowledgeable about the whole topic of connections and adapters, so looks like I'll be returning their tank for a refund.

I'm really struggling to find another company that sells food grade CO2 tanks online. Has anyone managed this?

Nope, I have the gas cylinder, I got it in Bray. I need a refill but not sure how to go about it either as I am technically not allowed travel to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK Aquariums use the same gas, maybe try some local pet shops or some garden centres sell them as well. Open to correction on this though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    AFAIK Aquariums use the same gas, maybe try some local pet shops or some garden centres sell them as well. Open to correction on this though.

Seahorse Aquariums offer CO2 cylinders and refills, see https://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Blau-CO2-3L/7396

They are great guys to deal with (they built a 600L Cichlid tank for me) but I don't use them for CO2 as my tank doesn't need it.

They'll be more expensive than AJ Edge for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 alexander11

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on this. I drink about 1.5-2l of sparkling water every day and you can imagine the plastic bottles add up. Even though they're being recycled it still doesn't feel great. A friend of mine has a SodaStream machine and I absolutely love it. I'd like to get one for myself as well. The only downside I see to it is the expensive refills ... thankfully I found this forum. He doesn't drink that much and one refill lasts him about 3 weeks
    • I kept seeing around the co2 adapter from Germany which costs about 50 euro. I see similar ones for about 10 euro on aliexpress; has anyone ordered from there? If so, how did you find them?
    • Also, what type of cylinder would you recommend and what size? I saw quite a variety of cylinders mentioned. Do you have any recommendations on what to buy?
    • I live in midlands, so I would have to travel up to Dublin to fill up the cylinder, what companies are the easiest to deal with?

Thank you !

Advertisement