Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cheap eBay course

Options
  • 30-03-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have been contemplating this few years now about settting up an online business through eBay however I’m not sure how to use eBay.
    Can anybody recommend a good eBay course or somebody that I could talk to about This I am based in the Dundalk area

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Plenty of free resources to learn about it online and there are courses on Udemy every now and then for free, they arent expensive anyways (think the thread is in bargain alerts). For any type of selling online you need to research and define a niche to have any decent success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its not hard at all to sell on ebay.

if you have account just go into options on right hand side select selling and it gives you 100s free listings per month thou without paying extra cash 10 can be active during any time, also theres a lot of other paid options for advertising having store but if starting fresh id leave those out until you have some good turn around and feedback.

Main issue for me personally that an post hammers you with postage costs, if you want gauranteed signature or large parcel its 10neer plus, even small parcel non registered goes around 1.80-3e depending on weight. so something to really keep in mind depending on what you will sell.

its highly competitive to the point unless you sell smth that isnt Chinese made or can get at low cost, as i do vinyl signs etc but ebay is just filled with established vendors who will undercut me 10 times or have better rep with thousands of feedbacks etc.

also be aware that once you sell specially stuff like clothing and so on you need to be really precise about giving details on items, as if you go on the high price scale people can often ask to return item or some other crap that will cost you as ebay paypal side with customers always - thou its more rare these days, most target electronics.

As do keep in mind that ebay/paypal take nice chunk out of the sale.

ex sold item for 10 pound - paypal took think 30c- 70c , item was like credit card size but needed extra wrap envelope, which lets say i had but if not having it would be another 1-3 euro, so best to get bulk of envelopes and stuffing material. shipping cost cheapest was 2.80< thou of been more like 1.80 but its down how they classify it parcel or large envelope and so on.

after those costs, at the end of month i got hit for another 1.20 from ebay.

so roughly 12e - 70c,2.80 for stamp,postage materials 2e, final fee 1.20 worked out for me about 6e profit at the end.
    as paypal hits hard if you want to convert currency with ridicilous rates.

where in UK they have option as cheap as 3 pound for registered mail, meaning they can confirmation on delivery, their 10pound one is express tracked and traced even next day if its within UK.

As all of this combined its really hard to sell unless as said its smth you can get really cheap and demand for it is there or you willing to undercut and still make profit, as every things adds to the cost.

as it takes few minutes to start selling and you can type in keywords and it will give you categories from those words where you want to list item, you can skip many fields and use clear description to try it out.

you dont need extensive course beyond basics as everyone has different suggestions but its usually down to what you sell how much and if its in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

scamalert wrote: »
    its not hard at all to sell on ebay.

you dont need extensive course beyond basics as everyone has different suggestions but its usually down to what you sell how much and if its in demand.

I didnt even know there was such a thing as an ebay course, I wonder is there a course in how to post on boards.ie

Just start doing it, sell a few bits, learn on the job, get it off the ground NOW. The only thing you have to loose is time, best time to start selling on Ebay was 5 years ago second best time is now.

If you can sell before you have bought you are gauanteed not to loose money. I know someone who sells on ebay - when the buyer purchases he orders it as a gift on amazon and gets it deliver to the buyer. Simple, plenty of cutting and pasting but no upfront cost.

PS. Dont give up the day job until you have learnt on the job

Yeah an post charges make it a difficult proposition.

Way too high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I started on Ebay back in the day. Used to bulk buy baseball cards from America and then break them into sets and pull out anything special and sell it all separately was a nice little earner in school! It was the postal strikes that put an end to that for me. Seems to be much more competitive for everything now than it was back then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement