Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Aviva - people going in and out during games

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You worked in a bar at the Aviva and you never once heard someone act the goat in terms of trying to order ridiculous stuff or someone ordering five or more drinks.

Well then it could never have happened.

The customer behaviour is mad though...”do you have Hendricks?”, “What riojas do you have?” or the “ah, Billy (at the top of the queue), grab me 5 Guinness while you’re there”

So few thing
    It's a max of 4 drinks per customer. So no that doesn't happen
    The drinks are clearly advertised on what is available
    The menu has not changed for as long as I have gone to Aviva, and I went to the first Leinster v Munster match when it reopened

Have you ever set foot inside the Aviva? doesn't sound like it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The bigger issue is the total incompetence of the staff, the poor organisation of the bars generally, and idiotic customer behaviour.

Beer only bars and fellas wandering around with plastic bottles to sell would help.

Don’t laugh, but some form of concierge service would work very well. I know lots of people who’d pay for that, removing hundred if not thousands of drinks from system.

The customer behaviour is mad though...”do you have Hendricks?”, “What riojas do you have?” or the “ah, Billy (at the top of the queue), grab me 5 Guinness while you’re there”
    Total incompetence/poor organisation? Not at all.
    There is people selling bottles around the ground. They generally are selling bottles of carlsberg
    Concierge system? Seriously?
    Worked in a bar at the Aviva and never once had any interactions like the above, so I don't know where you've dreamed that one up from, and it's 4 drinks per customer so that doesn't happen either.
    4 drinks per customer yes but sometimes people will get more than 4...
    RCK1 wrote: »
    The same people who arrive late also seem to be the worst offenders for going in and out then leaving the game early.

No body is suggestion everyone has to sit riged but it's taking the piss going in and out more then twice in a game. The max you have to sit for is 40 mintues hardly the end of the world without a pint.

You dont go to a classical concert cinema religious service etc... scream and act annoying then tell the people there to stay at home. The for the occasion people should just go to a trendy posh bar on Dawson street and chat there. Let the proper fans enjoy the game. It's hard enough already to get tickets without hanger ons
    Theyre not. As many who go in out through game will be there early. Its a bit much to be saying how much people go in/out of their seats.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »

So few thing
    It's a max of 4 drinks per customer. So no that doesn't happen
    The drinks are clearly advertised on what is available
    The menu has not changed for as long as I have gone to Aviva, and I went to the first Leinster v Munster match when it reopened

Have you ever set foot inside the Aviva? doesn't sound like it to me
    On 4 drinks per customer. That isnt strictly kept to..
    But yeah clear and obvious whats on sale each game and hasnt changed in long while bar few small changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Comes up so often. If people want to leave their seats, so be it. Your view is obscured for a couple of seconds, if even. Get on with your own life and don't be worrying about what others do with theirs.

All this "nowadays" nonsense. You'd have to wonder how long people saying this have been going to games and events, because it's straight up bull****. It's not a new or recent phenomena. It's snobbery, and idiotic. You need to stay at home and watch on TV instead of mixing with people.

On 4 drinks per customer. That isnt strictly kept to..
    But yeah clear and obvious whats on sale each game and hasnt changed in long while bar few small changes

Ok you might get 4 pints and a wine which sits neatly in between the pints if person has a glass but you hardly have a single person walking up and ordering 4 pints and then another 5 guiness as the poster suggested......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Firstly, the drinks change based on the event (e.g. only Carlsberg etc at Ireland games).

Secondly, I have NEVER seen or heard of a four drink rule and I’m a 10 year ticket holder who goes to every single rugby match, International or Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Dunno why anybody would pay 6 euro for slop pints in the Aviva, I'd want to be dying of thirst to even bother being shafted like that.
    I dunno what the answer is though, maybe like the cricket alcohol free sections? Works well at places like Lords, Old Trafford, etc.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The solution is for people who need to leave their seat for whatever reason, be it to take a piss, or get a drink, to do it during an appropriate time in play.

In my experience, most people who get up do so during times when you're not missing much of anything. Rugby is very stop-start, there are lots of opportunities to leave.

As I said, this "issue" is blown out of all proportion.

Firstly, the drinks change based on the event (e.g. only Carlsberg etc at Ireland games).

Secondly, I have NEVER seen or heard of a four drink rule and I’m a 10 year ticket holder who goes to every single rugby match, International or Heineken Cup.

The 10 year ticket is only for internationals for a start.

I have no idea how you haven't heard of the 4 drink rule.I am fiarly sure it is plastered all over the stadium and also the staff tell you as well.

Maybe you went to the wrong stadium?

awec wrote: »
    The solution is for people who need to leave their seat for whatever reason, be it to take a piss, or get a drink, to do it during an appropriate time in play.

In my experience, most people who get up do so during times when you're not missing much of anything. Rugby is very stop-start, there are lots of opportunities to leave.

As I said, this "issue" is blown out of all proportion.

It is fairly easy as you say to get out of seat and over in a break in play.

To be honest I go to a lot of games. Not as many as some people on here, the "real fans" but the majority. Life gets in way sometime.

I have yet to have an issue with anyone at the game going for a beer or for food or whatever. I suppose I just love the atmosphere, the buzz and the crack of a live game.

I will of course always record and watch back later on....maybe I might crack open a beer then as well :P

Its never completely enforced but there is a limit per customer per transaction.
    Dunno why anybody would pay 6 euro for slop pints in the Aviva, I'd want to be dying of thirst to even bother being shafted like that.
    I dunno what the answer is though, maybe like the cricket alcohol free sections? Works well at places like Lords, Old Trafford, etc.
    If you would like a drink and there's no alternative then what else do you do?
    Make up of cricket grounds very different to rugby stadiums though is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have no idea how you haven't heard of the 4 drink rule.I am fiarly sure it is plastered all over the stadium and also the staff tell you as well.

Tbh I hadnt a clue of the four drink limit. It wasn't enforced on me on Saturday when I got 12.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Tbh I hadnt a clue of the four drink limit. It wasn't enforced on me on Saturday when I got 12.
    All depends on situation... and you will regularly see orders of 8/12/16 drinks at games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Concierge system? Seriously?

They released an App recently, where you can order from your seat, and collect at the bar. One of the lads used it in December and found so many other people thought it'd be a great way to get a drink quickly, that he was longer getting back, than if he had used the bar itself. :pac:

They released an App recently, where you can order from your seat, and collect at the bar. One of the lads used it in December and found so many other people thought it'd be a great way to get a drink quickly, that he was longer getting back, than if he had used the bar itself. :pac:
    Yeah i know all about app. Concierge is what threw me..
    And rapidQ is in place for quite a while, not that recent an addition

RapidQ. They've had it for years, I always use it since you're usually served straight away with no queue.

Some day they'll figure out how to get beer to seats and pish away from seats without the person having to move. Until that day arrives (and what a day it will be), it's about as good as it's going to get.

awec wrote: »
    RapidQ. They've had it for years, I always use it since you're usually served straight away with no queue.

Some day they'll figure out how to get beer to seats and pish away from seats without the person having to move. Until that day arrives (and what a day it will be), it's about as good as it's going to get.

Just buy a bottle of beer, once empty the bottle will provide a handy wee wee holder....

Might be a small problem with people whipping out their XXXXX all over the stadium :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

You seem to just want to have an argument.

Where did I say that 10 year tickets cover anything other than Internationals?

It now seems that other people know nothing of this “four drink rule” you seem to think is imposed.

Perhaps you couldn’t serve more than four drinks at a time so it was a special “Shefwedfan Rule” imposed by management?

It now seems that other people know nothing of this “four drink rule” you seem to think is imposed.

Perhaps you couldn’t serve more than four drinks at a time so it was a special “Shefwedfan Rule” imposed by management?
    There is a four drink rule in place and yes it is ignored/not implemented a bit but it is still there...
    depends on customer/situation etc

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for everyone giving out about the bar

i stood up on the half time whistle, in section 509.
    got to the toilet no problem as the toilet door is right beside the section entrance.
    waited no longer than 2 minutes for a pee.
    got 2 bottles of beer from a hawker (and she was gorgeous !) with absolutely no queue

and was back sitting down on my seat within 5 minutes of standing up.

• Advertisement

So special rules. Just the standard ones they have had since the day the stadium opened.

All depends on situation... and you will regularly see orders of 8/12/16 drinks at games

May I asked how 1 person gets 8/12/16 drinks from the bar back to the other people?

Even with 4 in those cardboard holders you lose a certain amount of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Look at their username. I am guessing they don't know the difference between a scrum and a lineout, let alone a ruck and a maul.

It cracks me up how often this topic comes up. If you want a clear unobstructed view of the match, watch it in your living room or pay for a private box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Look at their username. I am guessing they don't know the difference between a scrum and a lineout, let alone a ruck and a maul.

It cracks me up how often this topic comes up. If you want a clear unobstructed view of the match, watch it in your living room or pay for a private box.

muppets_statler_waldorf.jpg?fit=658%2C370&ssl=1

May I asked how 1 person gets 8/12/16 drinks from the bar back to the other people?

no idea but im seen people take 8 and 12 in the cardboard holders on their own

That extra finger that Leinster fans have on each hand can be useful at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Equally, if you really want to watch a match while having a load of pints just watch it in the pub or pay for a private box.

no idea but im seen people take 8 and 12 in the cardboard holders on their own

Sorry but that is impossible....

Unless you fire out all the beer and then head off....

Even with 4 you probably lose about 10% of the beer getting back to the seat....Hence why you an never just have 10 beers at the game, you need 11 to cover off the beer loss on way back to seats:P

Even with 4 you probably lose about 10% of the beer getting back to the seat....Hence why you an never just have 10 beers at the game, you need 11 to cover off the beer loss on way back to seats:P
    Ive still seen people spend 50 quid on 8 pints and carry them back on their own even with spilling most of some of the pints...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

sydthebeat wrote: »

got to the toilet no problem as the toilet door is right beside the section entrance.
    got 2 bottles of beer from a hawker (and she was gorgeous !) with absolutely no queue

Never mind all this standing up and down malarkey.

About this hawker?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OldRio wrote: »
    Never mind all this standing up and down malarkey.

About this hawker?

Spanish i think... or latina ;)

a smile to warm the cockles on a cold aviva evening :D

think a young Eva Longoria ;)

• Advertisement

Beer googles? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

I go to nearly every game also and never heard of any such rule or see signs plastered anywhere
    In fact rather impressively I once seen a guy carry 4 holders of four beers stacked on top of each other without spilling a drop. Maybe youe gaslighting and are thinking of another place?

I go to nearly every game also and never heard of any such rule or see signs plastered anywhere
    Maybe you are thinking of another place?
    Its in Aviva but quite often just isnt enforced...

Also done the same many times. I'm no killjoy and enjoy drinks as much as the next guy. No need at all to to go it multiple times during a game which is two 40 minutes with a long enough break in between

A game of rugby is a long way from 2 x 40 minutes with a long enough break in between.

The hackers are actually all good lucking and charming which makes buying off them even easier then the bad pints and service at the bars

I saw a guy with 4X4 stacked onto top of each other and carried it back with out spilling a drop. The whole section clapped. I have a photo somewhere in my phone

Equally, if you really want to watch a match while having a load of pints just watch it in the pub or pay for a private box.

+1 it works both ways!!

Also done the same many times. I'm no killjoy and enjoy drinks as much as the next guy. No need at all to to go it multiple times during a game which is two 40 minutes with a long enough break in between
    No need says you and half time isnt a long enough break to get in queue, order drink and get back to seat in time for start of second half
    Hurrache wrote: »
    A a game of rugby is a long way from 2 x 40 minutes with a long enough break in between.
    yeah halfs are 50minutes plus per half....
    The hackers are actually all good lucking and charming which makes buying off them even easier then the bad pints and service at the bars
    hackers? And its far from bad service.. its simply rdiculous fast paced. you have several hundred people getting pints in very short period so'll be very rushed...

No need says you and half time isnt a long enough break to get in queue, order drink and get back to seat in time for start of second half

yeah halfs are 50minutes plus per half....

hackers? And its far from bad service.. its simply rdiculous fast paced. you have several hundred people getting pints in very short period so'll be very rushed...

Auto correct you got what I meant. Still 50 mintues isn't long. I said no need during the game itself especially many times

The staff certainly don't act like it's fast paced taking there time and chatting with other. It took 5 bar staff and 2 bars too get my dad his drink at the weekend and that was at premium level at 4pm.

• Advertisement

Auto correct you got what I meant. Still 50 mintues isn't long. I said no need during the game itself especially many times

The staff certainly don't act like it's fast paced taking there time and chatting with other. It took 5 bar staff and 2 bars too get my dad his drink at the weekend and that was at premium level at 4pm.

Why would the staff rush?

What do people expect? the staff going around on roller skates or something firing out pints and killing themselves?

The only time I seen issues with staff was the first Leinster v Munster match, that was a bit of a disaster, but they had no queue system in place, some bars had too many staff and some had too few etc....sorry to update that was the staff issue, more the stadium hadn't planned right

Since then no issues at all from my point of view....

Why are you insisting people not drink or leave their seats during the game. You realise how ridiculous that is?

And you cant compare bars at premium to general level. Very different...

In fairness to the staff, apart from the pre kick off rush I've always been served pretty efficiently, especially considering the number of people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Why? I can buy beers at the stadium and take them back to my seat. That's one of the extras available to punters at rugby matches. Are you saying that people shouldn't be allowed to avail of all the services on offer because you find it irritating? Very selfish of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Used to bring a bag of cans, because I'm a classy bloke. Can't do that anymore, unfortunately.

Don't have a problem much with people going in and out, unless they're really taking the michael.

Ulster game, first game in the purple route area, and I followed the purple route signs. This was a mistake as I ended walking 75% of the way around the stadium. As a result, I was 5 minutes late for kick off. Felt like a right dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

People need to have an awareness of others. There are enough breaks of play to get up and retake your seat at. Some people seem to be oblivious of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think I'm the only person on boards that goes to sporting events and has a few beers. Same with concerts. I think as long as you wait for a break in play to walk down the row there's no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Why are you insisting people not drink or leave their seats during the game. You realise how ridiculous that is?

It's not ridiculous at all. I like a couple of pints before & after a game. I and most others would never consider going to get drink while a game is in play.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person on boards that goes to sporting events and has a few beers. Same with concerts. I think as long as you wait for a break in play to walk down the row there's no problem.

I think we should put up a poll, who has a pint and who doesn't....I know which camp I am in....

Lovely lovely heineken:P

• Advertisement

lbc2019 wrote: »
    People need to have an awareness of others. There are enough breaks of play to get up and retake your seat at. Some people seem to be oblivious of the match

People need to be aware that I want a pint and quit moaning about it

You don't see me moaning about the amount of people not drinking and getting in my way when I want to go to the bar......;)

Advertisement