Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Aviva - people going in and out during games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People who use the players nickname....e.g Cronin but they insist on him nugget

Out the door!!!

People who use players Christian names bugs me, except for Luuuuuke for mr Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

People who use the players nickname....e.g Cronin but they insist on him nugget

Out the door!!!

surely anyone who speaks at all...except to shout "offside" 200 times a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

A strongly worded letter to the Times will surely sort this out

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/standing-up-at-the-aviva-1.3847254

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Crank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Riskymove wrote: »

Some people really do have too much time on their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Lols. The first few lines are enough.. that's actually sad.

Not paying for that paper to read the rest

You know he wrote that with his Mont Blanc pen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So, why don't we have a family/alcohol free section? Go out to the back of the stand and drink to your hearts content while the rest of the people in the section watch the game.
    It would not be that difficult to manage and football/cricket/etc manage it fine.
    If there were problems other than people moving from their seat to get to the concourse and food/drink units & toilets then the IRFU would do it but how many families are disconvenienced by this?
    This has since changed - the bars were open last Tuesday, and a couple of games in the last campaign too.
    Bars have been open all the time for soccer games. You just cant bring your drink to your seat you have to drink and watch game if its still on on the tv screens

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Tommybojangles

As much as I'm on the same side of this argument as him, anyone who uses that
    "my X-year-old child said......"
    bull**** immediately loses my attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If there were problems other than people moving from their seat to get to the concourse and food/drink units & toilets then the IRFU would do it but how many families are disconvenienced by this?

Bars have been open all the time for soccer games. You just cant bring your drink to your seat you have to drink and watch game if its still on on the tv screens

Another reason a drinking area won't work is because it could be against the ground regulations.

Anyone under the age of 14 MUST be accompanied by a person aged 18 or older at all times. So a father bringing two 10 year old kids could not leave them in the stands while he goes to the drinking section for a pint.

The bars on levels 3&4 are open for all events. The bars on levels 1&5 are closed for some soccer games. It depends on what the match is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm suggesting a drink free area, not a drinking area! I am not ALEX STAVELEY however :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be honest, I have never once gone to a stadium to watch a match because I thought that is where I would get the best view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Podge_irl wrote: »
    To be honest, I have never once gone to a stadium to watch a match because I thought that is where I would get the best view.

I'm actually the opposite. I really enjoy the increase in detail that I can watch when at the game. I'm not at the tv directors mercy as to what is important, I can look at the ruck and watch what is going on there while looking at the alignment of the backs out the corner of my eye etc.

On TV, you're effectively ball watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

went to ire v nz this season and match v france and that's me done , ireland camped on NZ's try line, mongo gets up for two trays of pints for people looking at phones , their friends shoes anything bar the match , said prick kept calling me bud 10+ times to bar etc , for france match not much different people more happy to post selfies chat if you can't do without a beer for an 1hr30 and not enjoy the sport you are into there's something else going on , and I love a beer .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Sounds like he might have had clients there...why else would the same guy be buying drinks for everyone?

crisco10 wrote: »
    I'm actually the opposite. I really enjoy the increase in detail that I can watch when at the game. I'm not at the tv directors mercy as to what is important, I can look at the ruck and watch what is going on there while looking at the alignment of the backs out the corner of my eye etc.

Completely agree. I love watching how wingers and fullbacks react to getting or losing possession.

Sounds like he might have had clients there...why else would the same guy be buying drinks for everyone?

well he was a total bellend , and if some one says go premium i was twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

To beer, or not to beer? Who gives a sh*t.
    Seriously, sometimes I buy beers, sometimes I bring cans, sometimes I don't drink at all.

People getting beer, kids getting food, people going to the toilet. None of it interferes with my enjoyment of the game.

Do you know who needs banning from the ground? The people who jump out of their seats when anything remotely exciting happens, causing a wave of people to also jump out of their seats.
    Those people ruin it for everyone and need blasting with a water cannon

• Advertisement

Jewelers wrote: »
    went to ire v nz this season and match v france and that's me done , ireland camped on NZ's try line, mongo gets up for two trays of pints for people looking at phones , their friends shoes anything bar the match , said prick kept calling me bud 10+ times to bar etc , for france match not much different people more happy to post selfies chat if you can't do without a beer for an 1hr30 and not enjoy the sport you are into there's something else going on , and I love a beer .

Can't understand a word of that post....I think you are giving out about someone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I dunno i like it when they shuffle past , the cahalane bros, dat booty, mark even twerks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Just prove a the point. Far too many corporates.

dub_skav wrote: »
    To beer, or not to beer? Who gives a sh*t.
    Seriously, sometimes I buy beers, sometimes I bring cans, sometimes I don't drink at all.

People getting beer, kids getting food, people going to the toilet. None of it interferes with my enjoyment of the game.

Do you know who needs banning from the ground? The people who jump out of their seats when anything remotely exciting happens, causing a wave of people to also jump out of their seats.
    Those people ruin it for everyone and need blasting with a water cannon

Yes so everyone else is ok bar the actual fans of the game. Again you don't go the cinema, a play, art exhibition etc.... act obnoxious because your not I interested and expect everyone too put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

RCK1 wrote: »
    Yes so everyone else is ok bar the actual fans of the game. Again you don't go the cinema, a play, art exhibition etc.... act obnoxious because your not I interested and expect everyone too put up with it.

Wait, are you saying you jump out of your seat at the cinema when something exciting happens. Wow.

Edit: Also, again saying how fans "should" act. Nice

Are we still on the "if you have a beer you not a fan" posts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

What do I do?

- Bring nearly two pints into the stadium just before the teams come out (one plus the one I’m on)

- Sing both anthems

- Watch the game intently

- Head out at around 38 mins unless the play is in either 22; go to the loo and order more drinks.

- Never leave during the second half

You can have a drink and be interested, everyone doesn’t need to conform to your idea of being a real fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

For some reason other punters get annoyed with me when I stand and cheer, shout encouragement or abuse during movies, plays, art exhibitions etc. Clearly they're not actual fans.

:D

Are we still on the "if you have a beer you not a fan" posts

Absloulty nothing wrong with beer. I enjoy plenty on match days myself. The problem is going in and out all the time.

• Advertisement

Just a warning for all the grumpy people....I have booked tickets for the Heneiken Cup semi final

I am going on the rrrrriiiiiiiiiiipppppppppp for the day

Please expect up/down/over/back and eventually sideways during the game

salmocab wrote: »
    You can have a drink and be interested, everyone doesn’t need to conform to your idea of being a real fan.

Nothing wrong with a drink like I said below. I enjoy plenty on match days. Its the leaving and going back in all the times that the problem.

What do I do?

- Bring nearly two pints into the stadium just before the teams come out (one plus the one I’m on)

- Sing both anthems

- Watch the game intently

- Head out at around 38 mins unless the play is in either 22; go to the loo and order more drinks.

- Never leave during the second half

Ideal fan right there would happily sit beside you at a game

A potential cause of this. You can't seem to pick your seat any longer on Ticketmaster. I used to like going in and picking my seat, which was in the middle of a row to avoid this issue.
    Was just trying to buy semi final tickets and noticed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You can pick your seat. You just need to wait till it quietens down. When they have high traffic they can't let you do it because seats would be disappearing all the time. I just picked two seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What do I do?

- Head out at around 38 mins

Thereby forcing everyone else to let you past??

And you seem to want to be congratulated for this?

errlloyd wrote: »
    You can pick your seat. You just need to wait till it quietens down. When they have high traffic they can't let you do it because seats would be disappearing all the time. I just picked two seats.

Just noticed this now. I thought they had changed it as deffo picked seats before. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

It seems to me that a lot of this happens because rugby fans go for a day out rather than to support their team. I instance their after match reaction when Ireland lose. It doesn't bother many of them at all - all smiles as they head to the pub. When my hurling team lose I go home like a bear with a sore head.

errlloyd wrote: »

by the time it is available all the good seats are gone

So I had to book just by keeping refreshing till I got a good seat

If I go on now none of the premiumlevel is left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

crossman47 wrote: »
    It seems to me that a lot of this happens because rugby fans go for a day out rather than to support their team. I instance their after match reaction when Ireland lose. It doesn't bother many of them at all - all smiles as they head to the pub. When my hurling team lose I go home like a bear with a sore head.

I think you need to re-evaluate your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crisco10 wrote: »

You can see things live you will never see if at home and watching on tv but i wouldnt say on tv you are effectively ball watching
    Nonsense.. not true at all. or maybe people arent so caught up in the result that it'll be a disappointment but they wont dwell on it and anyway who cares?

Sport is about enjoyment, a day out...a social occasion

Win, lose or draw you should always smile at the end. Be thankful you have the money to go to the game and to the players who have just entertained you.....

At the end of the day it is only a game

Sport is about enjoyment, a day out...a social occasion

Win, lose or draw you should always smile at the end. Be thankful you have the money to go to the game and to the players who have just entertained you.....

At the end of the day it is only a game

yep but no need to get fuc ked up and annoy other people like you are planning to do , can you not go to a match with out getting ****ed up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

yep but no need to get fuc ked up and annoy other people like you are planning to do , can you not go to a match with out getting ****ed up ?

Pretty sure he’s just taking the piss out of a significant number of posters on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

'Your' team doesnt need support. The pro ones want your money all right. Any sensible person goes because they hope to be entertained, as a day out, part of their leisure, an alternative so some other entertainment such as a concert or the cinema. Mayby rugby fans are just more balanced people, and take or the leave the entertainment for what it was, dont obsess about the result, go home like a bear with a sore head, but smile and enjoy the rest of their day. Thats what sport is al about really. A good day out.

• Advertisement

Ok chilax now....no need to curse

Quick question, how many people have you ever seen in a drunken state in the aviva during a game?

I seen it once, think it was 2012 when ulster played Heineken cup semi in aviva and a few people well past bedtime....never seen and I would go to the majority of Leinster and Ireland match’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe they've a healthier sense of perspective that you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I went to a premier league game and for the majority of the first half there was a row of about 6 free seats next to us. About 30-40mins in a group of teenagers/young adults (male and female) come along and take their seats. My first thought was that they unfortunately had got held up coming to the game. However they proceeded to spend their entire time having full on conversations with each other or head in their phones. They left about 10-15mins before the end. I understand they were most likely season ticket holder seats but WHAT WAS THE FÙCKING POINT!

Noo wrote: »
    I went to a premier league game and for the majority of the first half there was a row of about 6 free seats next to us. About 30-40mins in a group of teenagers/young adults (male and female) come along and take their seats. My first thought was that they unfortunately had got held up coming to the game. However they proceeded to spend their entire time having full on conversations with each other or head in their phones. They left about 10-15mins before the end. I understand they were most likely season ticket holder seats but WHAT WAS THE FÙCKING POINT!

Good chance to catch up with mates ?

Noo wrote: »

They got to hashtag the game for their army of likers

• Advertisement
Advertisement