Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortage query

Options
  • 31-03-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi boards

Can you help clear something up for me? I currently have 50,000eur in savings and was looking to purchase my first home by myself. Salary is 50k.

I understand Buyers are supposed to have 10% of the propertys value as a deposit. Am I right in saying a bank are going to loan me for example 300,000eur for a 350,000 house? Mortgage calculators suggest I will struggle to get 100-150k as a mortgage loan which wont get me much when I want to start a family.

Any help,greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Your salary multiplied by 3.5 is what you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Bank will loan you €50k x 3.5 = €175k. You can then add your savings to it.

Don't forget you will need to put aside €5k or more for solicitor and their part including stamp duty etc.

Also will you need money to decorate or renovate when you buy? It is also advisable to have some money aside to cover a few months mortgage repayments.

Hope this helps. Try talk to a mortgage advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

You could also apply for an exemption on LTI to 4.5X your salary of 50k, which would give you 225k. Plus your 50k in savings would bring you to 275k. A broker might be your best bet if you are looking to apply for an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Average salary in Dublin is 36,692. Multiply by 2 partners gives 73k average family income. 73k x 3.5 = 255k. That's what an 'average' Dublin family can borrow. Add 10% deposit of 25k and the result is 280k.

Now, the average salary is not what an average family gets. We should really look for a median. Averages are exaggerated as they include very high earner individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your salary multiplied by 3.5 is what you can get.

Theoretically, in many cases they will give less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Get yourself on to the Rebuilding Ireland website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ted1 wrote: »
    Theoretically, in many cases they will give less

Very good point. A lot of people assume that the 3.5 is a given. It's not. If you have a clean credit record and 12 months untouched savings or rent (at the stressed mortgage payment) then yeah you'll get it, but other than that it's not a given.

Advertisement