Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW Air - who pays flight delay compensation?

Options
  • 31-03-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Mods - please move this thread if it's not suited here

Just wondering who (if anyone) would be responsible for paying compensation for a delayed flight with WOW Air now they've collapsed?

I flew back to Dublin with WOW air last week from Toronto, with a layover in Reykjavik that was delayed 19hrs.
    I lodged an application for compensation when I got home, but the company have since been wound up and I haven't had any correspondence with them since.

I booked the flights with my credit card through expedia and have VHI multi-trip insurance. Would either of these cover flight delay compensation?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Flight delay compensation, and airline colapse are "optional extras" in many travel insurance products, you will need to check what cover you selected.

I would doubt if Expedia or your credit card issuer would do anything, you did get your flights, so it would be beyond what they would normally cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most travel insurance has delay cover, but it is a tiny fraction of the EU261 levels and usually only applies after many more hours. You may also need additional documentation from the airline which is clearly not going to be possible now.

Only a small subset of credit cards have any travel insurance on them.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Expedia won't do anything, and unlikely your credit card offers anything either as no Irish credit card has that benefit (could be wrong here)

My credit card (BOI Platinum) has AIG multitrip included for anything you paid for with that card. Its OK, not great, level insurance.

I seem to remember that Ulster also have a similar product. However I don't think any "normal" cards offer it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Poorly worded on my part, does the travel insurance cover costs incurred because of delays?

AIB platinum includes travel insurance also, but like most travel insurance policies, the payout for delays is non-existent (because delays are so common)

It does - to a pathetic maximum level and after quite significant time limits.

There's what seems like relatively good cover for baggage delays... and a €75 per person excess on it; so I decided that a huge stack of paperwork for a few quid when I had slightly over €150 in costs for a two day bag delay for two of us wasn't worth it!

Advertisement