Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract signing

Options
  • 31-03-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi we are sale agreed 5 weeks. Survey done and solicitor has contracts and loan offer. House is empty and ready to move in. No chain on either side. Anyone any idea on the usual time frame we can expect to be able to sign contracts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

i am in sameboat sale agreed 7 weeks and allthe above done....did your solicitor not give youatimeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dublindamo

Has your solicitor said what is outstanding from the vendor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

bellatrix1 wrote: »
    Hi we are sale agreed 5 weeks. Survey done and solicitor has contracts and loan offer. House is empty and ready to move in. No chain on either side. Anyone any idea on the usual time frame we can expect to be able to sign contracts

It shoukld be within a few weeks but you are at the mercy of two solicitors as to when they process their respective parts of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Selling a property with my ex and it took 3 weeks for his solicitor to get the contract to mine and my ex is yet to sign. Imagine the could be at least another 3 weeks as he works overseas. Had no idea selling took so long ago I imagine it must be very frustrating as a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Why would being overseas delay things exactly?

my seller is based in USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Was in the exact same position ..
    S.A in early December and only got keys during the past week ..
    Your at the mercy of solicitors to whom you are just one of their many clients and it will be done when it’s done and if your lucky it might be done a few weeks earlier..
    But 3month plus is the general timeframe.
    You can only control the controllables so make sure you have your own stuff organized & then try & don’t be overthinking what you can’t control i.e solicitors would be my advice.
    P.S there’s always a snag or a delay with something..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

mkdon wrote: »
    Why would being overseas delay things exactly?

my seller is based in USA.

Simple logistics of getting contracts to them and them finding a solicitor to witness signing of an Irish contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Was in the exact same position ..
    S.A in early December and only got keys during the past week ..
    Your at the mercy of solicitors to whom you are just one of their many clients and it will be done when it’s done and if your lucky it might be done a few weeks earlier..
    But 3month plus is the general timeframe.
    You can only control the controllables so make sure you have your own stuff organized & then try & don’t be overthinking what you can’t control i.e solicitors would be my advice.
    P.S there’s always a snag or a delay with something..
    This is unfortunately the sad truth of Irish conveyancing a very unfit for purpose process wirh almost no substantial changes in the past 100 years (maybe the introduction of the PRA, but they are as slow as the solicitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bellatrix1

My main concern is that I am 8 months pregnant and hoping to be in by May. Which I thought was achievable as no chain but now not so sure. My major gripe is that my solicitor does not reply to my emails. Highly irritating. Other worry is I will be on mat leave and that may cause problems with drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

bellatrix1 wrote:
    My major gripe is that my solicitor does not reply to my emails. Highly irritating.

I would ring your solictor every day if I were you. Become a nuisance that they want to get rid of. Leave messages with their secretary if you can't get them. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that. It may well be that they've done all they can on your side but they might chase up the other side if you keep on at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

GGTrek wrote: »
    This is unfortunately the sad truth of Irish conveyancing a very unfit for purpose process wirh almost no substantial changes in the past 100 years (maybe the introduction of the PRA, but they are as slow as the solicitors).

When a sale has been negotiated and agreed, the PRA has no role whatsoever. All it does is register the transfer afterwards. The adversarial nature of conveyancing, the increasing amount of work to be done in it and the reduced fees payable mean that conveyancing is slotted in around everything else going on in a solicitors office.

bellatrix1 wrote: »
    My main concern is that I am 8 months pregnant and hoping to be in by May. Which I thought was achievable as no chain but now not so sure. My major gripe is that my solicitor does not reply to my emails. Highly irritating. Other worry is I will be on mat leave and that may cause problems with drawdown.

I would call them and ask what the outstanding issues are? Until you clarify that it's hard to say how long it should take.

I would also call the EA as the ball may be in the vendors court. You need to keep pressing these each day to move it along

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jack_92

We have been nearly 9 weeks sale agreed and the EA for the past three weeks are promising to have the contracts issued 'at the end of the week' it's very frustrating. I asked our solicitor but they keep responding that they haven't received anything and will get back to me once the have the contracts. Has anyone been in the same situation?

You need the estate agent to be clear on what is causing the delay. There may not be clean title and that could drag out for some time. I recently went from offer accepted to getting keys within 5/6 weeks. Both sides were organised and the estate agent was also on the ball.
    EA shouldn't even accept a vendor unless they have their solicitor lined up and all contracts ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I'm signing contracts soon and am wondering how long it then takes to draw down? The vendor are very on the ball in my case so how long does the buyers side take between buyer signing contracts and getting the keys? We have all our insurances sorted, anything else we should be doing to get our ducks in a row?

Advertisement