Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exaggerated Previous Salary

Options
  • 31-03-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

So i have applied for a new role in a new company, they have made me an offer but i feel i have cornered myself now by exaggerating my previous salary, I regret it and i won't be doing it again, i'm super stressed about it. I'm thinking of refusing the offer just in case i get caught out.

My question is, will it be noticed when i am being signed up to payroll of the new company. Now that we don't have P45s anymore, what information does the new employer receive from Revenue service about my previous income when I am being added to their payroll?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I wouldn’t worry about it OP

1) Chances are the person that interviewed you won’t be the person that sorts out the payroll so it won’t matter

2) The company feel that you are worth the money they are paying you, they believe you are worth it therefore you should believe you are worth it

Best of luck with the new job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it normal to be asked what your current salary is?

Either way I'm not sure I'd be answering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

You will be caught out without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No.
    It will be fine.

Your previous employer is your own business along with the details on p21 or your p60.

Your p45 will only be stored in your new employment as proof of cessation. Nothing else.

The details regarding your previous employers are never looked at apart from references.

They dont start tapping in numbers from your documents to see if they add up or anything haha as if they'd be bothered or have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I've always exaggerated my current salary where moving jobs. It's the only way to guarantee a good salary increase.

I've never had any problem with payroll in other companies and this is when the P45s were paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Caught out how, and why does it matter? If the company lies to you saying the max they can offer for a position is x, but when you start you find someone in the same position is on x+5k, nothing happens.

For me, it's a negotiating tactic and as long as you can do the job, more power to you OP. Maximising income is something you should always look to do, companies would have no problem paying you a little less to add it to their profits. Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A dumb Priest never got a good parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Now that we don't have P45s anymore, what information does the new employer receive from Revenue service about my previous income when I am being added to their payroll?Thanks

Unless the new job pays less that your exaggerated salary, they could not notice this, and even with the old P45, it shows your total package, including overtime, bonus etc, so they could not figure out your basic salary.

And moving from a €45K job to a €40K job might be valid if there is a big reduction in hours or travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Just not true at all for a number of reasons. Your shouldn't think about this for a second and take the job if you feel it is a good fit and career move.

From being a hiring manager and also involved in payroll for a number of years i can tell you in all companies i have been with it.
    (i) likely different people that do payroll and interviewed you
    (ii) alot of companies outsource payroll so wouldn't even take a glance at your P45 (even when they were a thing)
    (iii) only interested in your P45/payroll info for tax credit purposes.
    (iv) it makes no difference to the hiring manager - they were happy to offer you what they thought you were worth
    (v) everyone knows that the majority of people exaggerate their current package when interviewing for another role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ihsjjdllkjf

Thanks for the confidence boost, and say if they really wanted to be able to verify my previous income, do they get my gross pay to date via the revenue website? Or just tax credit info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

How are you that certain? “Without a doubt”? Care to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Thanks for the confidence boost, and say if they really wanted to be able to verify my previous income, do they get my gross pay to date via the revenue website? Or just tax credit info?

Honestly wouldn't bat an eyelid at it. You really shouldn't be spending any time worrying abuut this. Even if they did (and they wont) go to those lengths there is no way they can calculate your previous package - who is to say you didnt take unpaid parental leave, big pay increase recently (i.e. only recently on the upgraded salary), unpaid sick leave or any other myriad of reasons as to why your pay year to date wouldnt exacrly match what you said your package was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Stop worrying. It's not going to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Im sure they would just look at the YTD figures on your recent payslip or p21.

They wont though. They dont care. They are offering you the job regardless of what you earned in a seperate employment. They dont give 2 flying....

Just stop overthinking it. Nobody who interviewed you is gonna have a conversation with payroll about what you earned last year or what you did or didn't say an interview.

You're not that important ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Your tax credit and previous pay & tax details will come through to your new employer from Revenue (through an electronic RPN file), but as others have said it's not an issue. Everyone exaggerates their salary in situations like this. No one's going to go looking to catch you out. It's none of their business at that stage and there could be many reasons why your salary on your RPN doesn't match what you told them in your interview. They obviously value you enough to offer you what they did, so well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I wouldn't be worrying about this at all.

They've made you an offer they're happy with.

I'd forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No.
    It will be fine.

Your previous employer is your own business along with the details on p21 or your p60.

Your p45 will only be stored in your new employment as proof of cessation. Nothing else.

The details regarding your previous employers are never looked at apart from references.

They dont start tapping in numbers from your documents to see if they add up or anything haha as if they'd be bothered or have the time

To be honest it does depend on the size of the company. If your boss is hands on and likes to micromanage then it would only take a quick glance of the P60 or P45 to work out a ball park figure.

But as someone else mentioned if they are happy to make that offer then that is their commitment.

Now I am an employer and if discovered that the employee had blagged it I would not say a word as whatever my offer was based on that employees worth to my business.

But personally speaking I would take a rather dim view that someone looked into my eye and blatantly lied to my face. Maybe that is just me as I never lied or exaggerated in an interview simply because my motto is never lie about hard cold facts- it will come back to bite you and you have no defense.

A little puffing up? Yeah sure just a little but a blatant lie which can be easily disproved- not a good place to go as the OP has discovered.

While I would not say anything and leave it go it would certainly be noted mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

You'll be grand in most places, the HR department and wage clerk don't be discussing interviews and people's past wage slips.

Best of luck with the new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Highly unlikely that your new company will twig. Anyway, they've hired you, what you wanted was obviously within budget so happy days.

Im sure they would just look at the YTD figures on your recent payslip or p21.

They wont though. They dont care. They are offering you the job regardless of what you earned in a seperate employment. They dont give 2 flying....

Just stop overthinking it. Nobody who interviewed you is gonna have a conversation with payroll about what you earned last year or what you did or didn't say an interview.

You're not that important ;)

Perhaps you are just trying to put the OP at ease which is commendable and understandable and maybe I am missing something here but you seem rather sure of the OP's company etc!

But OP what is done is done. Just forget about it and concentrate on your new job. Who knows...they might joke about it at the Christmas party..."You cheeky devil you.."

• Advertisement

OP...in the unlikely event it is brought up just say that the [inflated salary] was verbally promised at your last review if you kept up the good work and you fully expected to be bumped up to that figure.

They are paying you less than their max, you can bet on that.
    Why are you worrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Asking for previous salary had been outlawed in some U S states from concerns it perpetuates gender and ethnic pay gaps.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

OP...in the unlikely event it is brought up just say that the [inflated salary] was verbally promised at your last review if you kept up the good work and you fully expected to be bumped up to that figure.

Or even I based my salary figure on receiving an end of year bonus

They are paying you less than their max, you can bet on that.
    Why are you worrying?

Obvious enough really:-

HR: John can you pop down here for a few minutes
    John: [Crap]
    HR: Just wanted to clarify something. Our interview notes state that you were on €40k a year at your previous job. Just looking at your P45/P60. It looks like you were on €35k. Do you think they made a mistake at your last place and you need to go back and chat to their payroll?
    John:............
    HR: John?
    John: .........Christ it's awfully warm in here. Leave it with me and I will look into it.

It's called your conscience...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Under PAYE modernisation you will not get a physical P45. All the relevant information (regarding tax credits and cut off points etc.) will be sent to your new employer directly. All you need to do is notify Revenue of your new employer. Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bookworms wrote: »
    Under PAYE modernisation you will not get a physical P45. All the relevant information (regarding tax credits and cut off points etc.) will be sent to your new employer directly. All you need to do is notify Revenue of your new employer. Good luck with the new job.

OT but your new employer will register you if you change jobs. It’s not advisable to have employees do this themselves as they won’t have the Employment ID which is usually generated by a payroll software and will link up with the Revenue Payroll Notification. Employees registering themselves since 1st January is usually resulting in them being on emergency tax or having Nil credits and bands when it comes to their first (and often subsequent if it doesn’t get sorted) paycheques. Also the new employer (or whoever does the payroll) will see an individual’s previous pay and tax for the current year on the RPN, same as if they had a physical P45.

Obvious enough really:-

HR: John can you pop down here for a few minutes
    John: [Crap]
    HR: Just wanted to clarify something. Our interview notes state that you were on €40k a year at your previous job. Just looking at your P45/P60. It looks like you were on €35k. Do you think they made a mistake at your last place and you need to go back and chat to their payroll?
    John:............
    HR: John?
    John: .........Christ it's awfully warm in here. Leave it with me and I will look into it.

It's called your conscience...;)

Or simply it's the: "Why do you think you can ask my current salary in an interview" tax

Or simply it's the: "Why do you think you can ask my current salary in an interview" tax

Oooh....so you're going to turn into a smart ass with your new employer...that will work out well...

Employer: 'I am asking the questions here sunshine and I will ask whatever the hell I want*. So you're are a smartass as well as a blatant liar. You missed that of your cv.'

* within the limits of employment law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

you'll only be "caught out" if you're not up to the job.

Recruiter is not gonna be the one putting your pay through

you've been hired for X and good luck to you

Advertisement