Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best protection for golf clubs in transit

Options
  • 31-03-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for a steer on a travel bag.

I'm taking the clubs to Portugal in a fortnight and I'm just wondering what's the best travel bag to get. The priority is that the club's don't get damaged.

Is there much of a risk of them getting damaged or do airlines treat them with more care than standard luggage that gets tossed about the place?

Roughly how much should I expect to pay. Even a second hand one might be an option..

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boban z

Hi,
    You could spend a few hundred if you wanted to get a hard case type of travel cover.

I have a standard cover that I have used about 10 times with no issues. I usually put towels around the club heads for added protection.

I got mine on sports direct a few years ago for something like €40.

There is also golf travel insurance you can get for added protect. Think it's something like €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hi Folks,

I'm taking the clubs to Portugal in a fortnight and I'm just wondering what's the best travel bag to get. The priority is that the club's don't get damaged.

Is there much of a risk of them getting damaged or do airlines treat them with more care than standard luggage that gets tossed about the place?

Roughly how much should I expect to pay. Even a second hand one might be an option..

Thanks all.
    Airlines dont treat any luggage with any respect, its low paid workers lumping them on and off the plane, you only have to watch the out the window to see what goes on in open view...can only imagine what happens in the bowels of the luggage area...and thats before things fall off the truck etc.

Hard case is the only way to go and even then you might want to look at iron covers or as above using towels to protect the heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hi Folks,

Thanks all.
    I've brought clubs to Portugal and the US multiple times. My method is pretty simple. I use a soft cover (which has some padding - you can get these pretty much anywhere) and the clubs in a cart bag inside it. Usually I'm travelling with a couple of sets and this is the method I use:

I take all the heads off any clubs that are capable of this - usually driver, fairway woods and rescues. The heads can go in one of the bag pockets. I then cable tie the irons together in threes, which just about fit into the dividers in the cart bag. Same with the graphite shafts and the ends of those are covered with a piece of standard sink waste pipe (the white pipe which is about 1½" diameter). I also throw in a collapsable 'sunday' bag which can then serve as the bag for the other set of clubs. As above, towels etc. packed in around the top. The weight limit of 23Kg for a golf bag is able to cater for the two sets and even shoes and some balls.

Never had a problem. Don't forget to bring spare cable ties for the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Thanks for the advise guys. Going to go with the hard case to give the club's that extra bit of protection. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Thanks for the advise guys. Going to go with the hard case to give the club's that extra bit of protection. Cheers.

Hard case is definitely the way to go as long as you are not worried about your other luggage. Most airlines give a 20kg allowance for golf bags so your hard case and clubs only would be close to this weight. Softer padded bags giving you an opportunity to pack in a few other golf bits. shoes, clothes, balls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fearruanua wrote: »
    Hard case is definitely the way to go as long as you are not worried about your other luggage. Most airlines give a 20kg allowance for golf bags so your hard case and clubs only would be close to this weight. Softer padded bags giving you an opportunity to pack in a few other golf bits. shoes, clothes, balls etc.
    Depends on who you're flying with. Aer Lingus give 23Kg, Ryanair give 20Kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Airlines allow any bag to be up to a max. of 32kg.

I buy 1 golf bag + and additional 20kg allowance. I then put everything into my golf travel bag (footwear, clothes, towels etc.)

Just make sure the golf travel bag is under 32kg and you bought over 32kg allowance and you are good to go...works well for me anyway as I only have to wheel 1 case when travelling.

Advertisement