Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fill gap between door frame and wall without an architrave ?

Options
  • 31-03-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

We have new internal door and there's a gap between the frame and the plaster boarded wall .
    the gap is around 2 mm on the side and 3 mm at the top

Builder suggests to architrave around the frame but as the door is part of a bigger frame ,I would like to avoid an architrave and have the frame flush with the wall .
    Is there some other way to cover the gap without putting an architrave around ?

I've attached a picture of that helps.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Do you mean a gap of 2'' and 3'' ? The photograph is a bit misleading.

Is it foam that's holding the door and frame in place ?

Was it the builder that measured the prehung door for the door opening ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You could have a shadow gap between the door and wall, or detail various other options, but by the time you’ve convinced the builder to do this and received the quotation, you’ll be going with an architrave

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Do you mean a gap of 2'' and 3'' ? The photograph is a bit misleading.

Is it foam that's holding the door and frame in place ?

Was it the builder that measured the prehung door for the door opening ?

The foam is just filling gaps . The door is held to the wall.
    The door is part of a partition frame dividing hallway and living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

galaxy12 wrote: »
    The foam is just filling gaps . The door is held to the wall.
    The door is part of a partition frame dividing hallway and living room.

I'm guessing the gaps are 2 and 3 centimeters not mm or inches as I asked earlier.

The previous poster suggested using shadow gap between the wall and door frame and that's a nice neat finish. Will that work with your skirting if the door is flush with the wall..

The old architrave can work wonders all the same.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I'm guessing the gaps are 2 and 3 centimeters not mm or inches as I asked earlier.

The previous poster suggested using shadow gap between the wall and door frame and that's a nice neat finish. Will that work with your skirting if the door is flush with the wall..

The old architrave can work wonders all the same.

Yes that's right.its around 2 , 3 cm.
    I agree with Brian, the builder thinks he will have a look at it on site and decide what works out.

I saw an interesting video of using something called a j bead used for dry wall taping.

J bead against the frame he has to cut some wall back and do the patch and the J bead at the same time.

• Advertisement

galaxy12 wrote: »
    Yes that's right.its around 2 , 3 cm.
    I agree with Brian, the builder thinks he will have a look at it on site and decide what works out.

I saw an interesting video of using something called a j bead used for dry wall taping.

J bead against the frame he has to cut some wall back and do the patch and the J bead at the same time.

Thanks Brian and everyone else.
    In the end I did go for an architrave and it did turn out better than I thought.

Thread can closed...

Advertisement