Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ship bike to Ireland?

Options
  • 31-03-2019 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I will start working in Ballsbridge this summer but I'm staying in Greystones. I was thinking about buying a car, but don't want to be 1h stuck in traffic in the mornings. I was thinking to go for a mortorbike.
    At first I was considering a seocnd hand monster 696, but can't find them here
    for less than 4000e. So I thought buying back in Spain and shipping over.

I can find a 2006 CBR 600RR for 3500. I have always wanted to have one of these but not sure how convenient will be for commuting, and how much will it be shipping or taxes and insurance. Plus it would be my first bike and seems a bit too much, but I jsut love the looks.
    Anyone has brought a bike from Europe and has a rough estimate of the price to do so?
    In terms is tax and insurance any idea about how much I am looking at? I am in my mid 30s but no bike experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

JaimeB, don't bother asking the armchair insurance brokers on the www for cost of insurance. There are only two or three insurers in Ireland so call them and get accurate quotes. If you don't have a bike licence then go and look at the costs of CBT and lessons. Finally, I live in Andalucia for a few months every year, and my experience in Spain is that all cars and bikes are more expensive than Ireland or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Thanks for the feedback! I have a bike license. Will check on the insurance and will decide.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

3 or 4 options on insurance for the bike here.

Carole Nash
    Principal
    Liberty and maybe Axa (they can be funny about quoteing without experience)
    Worth a call to them all tho

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JaimeB wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I will start working in Ballsbridge this summer but I'm staying in Greystones. I was thinking about buying a car, but don't want to be 1h stuck in traffic in the mornings. I was thinking to go for a mortorbike.
    At first I was considering a seocnd hand monster 696, but can't find them here
    for less than 4000e. So I thought buying back in Spain and shipping over.

I can find a 2006 CBR 600RR for 3500. I have always wanted to have one of these but not sure how convenient will be for commuting, and how much will it be shipping or taxes and insurance. Plus it would be my first bike and seems a bit too much, but I jsut love the looks.
    Anyone has brought a bike from Europe and has a rough estimate of the price to do so?
    In terms is tax and insurance any idea about how much I am looking at? I am in my mid 30s but no bike experience.

VRT is €2 for the 1st 350cc and €1 for every cc over, there is a 10% discount for every year old. If the bike has less than 6k km or is less than 6 months old you pay VAT.

Insurance is going to be the killer here and a Supersport bike isn't the best for commuting. It can be done, but it can be done easier on a different type of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Thats not bad. Im considering either a monster 696 or a CBR 600RR, if numbers work. The monster is very cheap but need to change bearings and distribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

JaimeB wrote: »
    Thats not bad. Im considering either a monster 696 or a CBR 600RR, if numbers work. The monster is very cheap but need to change bearings and distribution.

Then the monster is not cheap. To do that job properly is not cheap at all. Labour alone will make it expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Del2005 wrote: »
    VRT is €2 for the 1st 350cc and €1 for every cc over, there is a 10% discount for every year old. If the bike has less than 6k km or is less than 6 months old you pay VAT.

Insurance is going to be the killer here and a Supersport bike isn't the best for commuting. It can be done, but it can be done easier on a different type of bike.

I thought it was both 6 months old and have 6k km? Not either or

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

One word mate...Dart...;)

Start small... a CBRRR is not for commuting.

Advertisement