Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leo worrying about meeting Kylie? WTF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

bri007 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-under-fire-sending-14216020

Would suit him better to focus more on his role of Taoiseach than looking to meet and greet Kylie... seriously!
    Can't he do both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what sort of man goes to kylie minogue concerts? its ridiculous.

A homosexual man, do try to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

have you never seen doctors writing on the prescriptions.

He was writing a prescription for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fann Linn wrote: »
    An overpaid clown.

You’re looking for the John Delaney thread.

Soccer forum ———->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Director of Comms for Irish Rugby to Leo's right. Sorted for the oul tickets.

Only for that id say he’d be standing outside the Aviva trying to buy off scalpers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Why is this even a story? Sure it's embarrassing for Leo that his fan mail to Kylie was released to the public but it's hardly the crime of the century! Is it because he wrote it on official paper? I'm no Leo fan but this is just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Why is this even a story? Sure it's embarrassing for Leo that his fan mail to Kylie was released to the public but it's hardly the crime of the century! Is it because he wrote it on official paper? I'm no Leo fan but this is just ridiculous.

I first heard of it today and actually assumed that it was an April Fools' joke. :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

smurgen wrote: »
    What have government headed letters got to do with his personal life?

Ah....you'd think he murdered someone the way its going on

368100 wrote: »
    Ah....you'd think he murdered someone the way its going on

It's funny and a little cute or pathetic depending on how you look at it. He's not being sent to the gallows or anything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Leo's a gobshite but he's a good frontman for the brand. Thank goodness Simon Coveney is in the most important position in the government since the GFA - he's been quite impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Gift Grub did a Stan lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The man is an embarrassment. This was something in his own personal interest and not on behalf of the country, so it should not have been on State paper. Fine if he wanted to send a letter to Kylie, but do not use your position to try to get a meeting with her. Write it on your own My Little Pony note paper, Leo, not Government paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

Is this real or was it an April fools

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As an aside, does anyone know why he posted, and later deleted, a tribute to Keith Flint where he said Prodigy were iconic for his generation?

I can't decide whether he retrospectively didn't want to associate himself with yoke music, or whether one of his advisers told him nobody remotely believed a teenage Leo was ever cool enough for raving. I'd go with the latter.
    The song "Smack my bitch up' was the reason for the deletion .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I thought it was a fear of references to The Jilted Generation...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

For god’s sake is the man not entitled to a private life and to follow what bands/celebrities he chooses?

The things people get their knickers in a twist over in this country are pathetic.

Leo doesn’t have to been consumed by politics 24/7.

So Leo V became a bit of a gooey-eyed fanboy because Kylie was performing in Ireland? Big ****ing whoop....

As someone who was at her concert you can take it from me he wasn’t the only man to do this!

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For god’s sake is the man not entitled to a private life and to follow what bands/celebrities he chooses?

The things people get their knickers in a twist over in this country are pathetic.

Leo doesn’t have to been consumed by politics 24/7.

Soon as he used official headed paper, it ceased to be his private life.

It's hilariously funny Audrey, not treason or corruption.
    We are all neighbours. Everybody needs good neighbours, with a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend, neighbours...should be there for one another, that's when good neighbours become good friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

A fabulous man.

• Advertisement

She has a huge gay following which in all reality I think you and other naysayers know really.

I have to wonder if there isn’t a little bit of thinly veiled homophobia behind the uproar over this?

Not saying you personally but I just can’t see any other reason for all the pathetic whining.

Soon as he used official headed paper, it ceased to be his private life.

It's hilariously funny Audrey, not treason or corruption.
    We are all neighbours. Everybody needs good neighbours, with a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend, neighbours...should be there for one another, that's when good neighbours become good friends.

It’s one little bit of paper for goodness sake. It’s not the end of the world and nothing to get worked up over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I think if I used headed paper in my line of work for the same I would be in the dole office with my p45 on Monday!

Just making a point, Leo is entitled to do what he likes in his private life, it becomes public once he uses anything to do with his work which he did...... headed government paper.

Is it a sacking, no course not however it is unprofessional! That’s all.......
    It’s one little bit of paper for goodness sake. It’s not the end of the world and nothing to get worked up over.

bri007 wrote: »
    I think if I used headed paper in my line of work for the same I would be in the dole office with my p45 on Monday!

Just making a point, Leo is entitled to do what he likes in his private life, it becomes public once he uses anything to do with his work which he did...... headed government paper.

Is it a sacking, no course not however it is unprofessional! That’s all.......

I really think people are getting worked up over nothing tbh. It’s just another sad attempt to garner votes for the opposition.

I’ll say it again - Leo can write to any celebrity he chooses, it’s not you or anyone else to tell him he’s wrong.

I have to wonder if there isn’t a little bit of thinly veiled homophobia behind the uproar over this?

Oh here we go. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm more shocked at the fact Kylie is 50!!!

But Leo. In a week where a record 80+ people are on trollies in UniHospLimerck... more than ALL Dublin hospitals combined... people are entitled to have a go at the Taoiseach for writing fan mail to a celeb on official headed paper.

But... compared to the stunts that CNÛT Bertie pulled, then yes.. it is a non-story.

In the great scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

It’s wrong if he is using government headed paper yes!
    I really think people are getting worked up over nothing tbh. It’s just another sad attempt to garner votes for the opposition.

I’ll say it again - Leo can write to any celebrity he chooses, it’s not you or anyone else to tell him he’s wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's not the worst thing a Taoiseach has gotten up to. But really, people like to think their political leaders are spending their time while clocked-in working for the betterment of their country / community. Not using the seal of the second highest office in the land to swing a meeting with his favourite popstar.

This from a Taoiseach of whom it has been noted is preoccupied with social media frivolities. The old saying "bullsh*t might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there" is as true in politics as it is in business.

In my line of work, using the organization's letterhead to score a personal favour would earn me a chat with HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

His department officials felt otherwise and twice tried to block release of the letter. Which of course led to it becoming a bigger story than it needed to be.

And it doesn't set a good example for the head of government to use his position to his personal benefit. I know public sector workers who can't even onto Ticketmaster at work, and here's Leo blagging a meet and greet with a world famous singer.

I agree that some are blowing this story out of proportion and I doubt we'd see the same reaction if it had been Kenny writing to Springsteen, for example. But that doesn't mean he, or his department, are immune from criticism either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Completely agree with above post. It was the blocking of it's release really.

Leo cares about image in a way that I would phrase as Propaganda Lite.

Granted, any world leader, and former Taoisigh have taken part in shaping a political image. But Leo's seems to be superficial and close enough to Instagram type stunts.

He set up his own PR office as reported in 2017. He also quickly distanced himself from Connor McGregor on St Patrick's day, almost aggressively so, because he percieved it as damaging his image. And now again, another article about him in the Indo

https://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/fitness/real-health-podcast-i-used-to-be-very-overweight-i-was-114-kilos-17-9-stone-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-reveals-his-fitness-regime-37980168.html

Having featured in a podcast with Karl Henry, who wrote in the Independent every Monday, and I presume wrote this/had connections as a previous writer for them.

It's all very saccharine stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah a smokin hot woman for the last 30 years with an arse that should be immortalised in marble and put in a museum.

Only the gays would love that.

Eejit.
    Where did he say only the gays would like her? It was a light-hearted comment, referring to the fact that Kylie is indeed extremely popular among gay guys, and has been for many years. And also, however attractive she is to heterosexual men, it's not like many of them would go to a Kylie concert. The audience is gonna be made up pretty much entirely of women and gay men.
    mgn wrote: »
    When this clown goes to a Kylie concert he's a cool dude.
    When Enda Kenny went to a Bruce Springsteen concert in Croke Park he was on the front page of most papers the next day saying he was making a fool of himself and didn't look good abroad.
    All Leo is getting is criticism here - nobody said he's cool.
    As for Leo, I don’t mind the guy but he’s in above his head as Taoiseach.
    Same here. People like to pretend he's this utterly dreadful individual but he's obviously not at all. I think this was a bit unprofessional and cringey of him, and I don't think he has done terribly as taoiseach (you'd swear the problems with the health services and housing commenced when he became taoiseach) but I don't think he's suited to the role either. I don't think he's any more PR obsessed than any other leader though (and PR is a requirement also - you'd swear it was optional).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Where did he say only the gays would like her? It was a light-hearted comment, referring to the fact that Kylie is indeed extremely popular among gay guys, and has been for many years. And also, however attractive she is to heterosexual men, it's not like many of them would go to a Kylie concert. The audience is gonna be made up pretty much entirely of women and gay men.

All Leo is getting is criticism here - nobody said he's cool.

Same here. People like to pretend he's this utterly dreadful individual but he's obviously not at all. I think this was a bit unprofessional and cringey of him, and I don't think he has done terribly as taoiseach (you'd swear the problems with the health services and housing commenced when he became taoiseach) but I don't think he's suited to the role either. I don't think he's any more PR obsessed than any other leader though (and PR is a requirement also - you'd swear it was optional).

It was also unprofessional and cringe inducing when he cowered to trump and make a joke about the blocking of a wind farm development near his golf course for all to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

He’s such a trend chasing hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He’s the biggest spoofer since. No actually he’s just the biggest spoofer. The young think he is cool and progressive. The same low and lowing income young who get less than e1.50 a week back in weekly usc cut last budget if they are on 34k. The same ones fcuked with this housing crisis. Keep voting for him In your droves though. Morons !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    He’s such a trend chasing hipster.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    He’s the biggest spoofer since. No actually he’s just the biggest spoofer. The young think he is cool and progressive. The same low and lowing income young who get less than e1.50 a week back in weekly usc cut last budget if they are on 34k. The same ones fcuked with this housing crisis. Keep voting for him In your droves though. Morons !

I don't like Varadkar's politics much either, but he's not a hipster and it's not the young and those on low income who vote for him and FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think man young people vote for him. I think they think he , laughably is responsible for gay marriage and legalised abortion. A young enough girl on the journal the other was defending him. I am not saying the young have a party to vote for here. But I am certainly saying that fg and varadkar certainly don’t represent the young and relatively young. Minuscule usc cuts. You have to be earning 55k a year to get a fiver a week back into your pocket , the same e5 the welfare warriors received. E34k year and you get back e1.50. Their only preoccupation is keeping their cronies and I’m alright jack voters happy! Kicking the can down the road on the lpt, spineless rats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Idbatterim wrote: »

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Varadkar is a fraud with an impressive spin machine (that WE the taxpayers fund!). He cynically came out during the SSM referendum to maximise his personal political capital, as a minister he always had a comment for the media (mostly about someone else's department while achieving nothing in his own - health or transport), and as Taoiseach he is an embarrassment to the country - varying between a "yes man" for his European masters, or stories like this where he seems to be working through a bucket list of "cool things I'd do if I was Taoiseach!"

His time as leader has seen him avoid the real issues in the country (which have continued to get worse during his tenure), but he's managed an impressive campaign of deflecting public attention to easy-win social referenda so I guess that's all good then. :rolleyes:
    Leo's priority is Leo and any position he takes, any statement made is all with the aim of increasing his personal profile. As I've said before, it's farcical that as Taoiseach, the guy/his media team tweets under the handle "campaignforleo". That right there tells us his priorities - even Donald Trump doesn't have the neck for that!

The even more depressing thing I suppose is that the "opposition" parties are similarly so bereft of talent or appeal that his impotent, directionless Government has continued to survive as long as it has.

What he'll be most remembered for (before he moves on to a cushy EU post or the private sector) will be that he actually proved to be even more useless than his immediate predecessors - no small achievement to be fair!

The one positive in all of this I guess is that people are finally starting to see through the act and recognising him for the charlatan that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"Gay or not, we're all right wing here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Idiot. Sorry.

Should have been private, if it wasn't he is a gob****e.

Idiot. Sorry.

Should have been private, if it wasn't he is a gob****e.

He did get 600 points in his leaving. :)

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »

OK. I believe you. And he is a Doctor but doesn't seem to to have practised for years either at quite a young age. Easy to pass the buck to his Minister for Health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ToddyDoody wrote: »

And is intelligent, charming, hardworking, selfless, well motivated, loyal, empathetic, passionate, honest, humble and authentic. As an all round package, Ireland has never had a Taoiseach of his all round high competence.
    He is one neat guy.

Get Real wrote: »
    . He also quickly distanced himself from Connor McGregor on St Patrick's day, almost aggressively so, because he percieved it as damaging his image.

He is dead right when it comes to McGregor.
    He should keep far far away from this guy, defiantly shouldn't be anywhere near McGregor.

And is intelligent, charming, hardworking, selfless, well motivated, loyal, empathetic, passionate, honest, humble and authentic. As an all round package, Ireland has never had a Taoiseach of his all round high competence.
    He is one neat guy.

After Bertie. Ha ha ha.

He should be mature and if not, listen to his advisers.

Honestly this sounds like a teenager.

Seems like yer man in Canada is persona non grata now too. Despite the socks on both of them.

Vlad needs to up his game. But if we need to tell him that. Well WTF.

Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

He is one neat guy.

If you say so Paschal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Varadkar is a fraud with an impressive spin machine (that WE the taxpayers fund!). He cynically came out during the SSM referendum to maximise his personal political capital, as a minister he always had a comment for the media (mostly about someone else's department while achieving nothing in his own - health or transport), and as Taoiseach he is an embarrassment to the country - varying between a "yes man" for his European masters, or stories like this where he seems to be working through a bucket list of "cool things I'd do if I was Taoiseach!"

His time as leader has seen him avoid the real issues in the country (which have continued to get worse during his tenure), but he's managed an impressive campaign of deflecting public attention to easy-win social referenda so I guess that's all good then. :rolleyes:
    Leo's priority is Leo and any position he takes, any statement made is all with the aim of increasing his personal profile. As I've said before, it's farcical that as Taoiseach, the guy/his media team tweets under the handle "campaignforleo". That right there tells us his priorities - even Donald Trump doesn't have the neck for that!

The even more depressing thing I suppose is that the "opposition" parties are similarly so bereft of talent or appeal that his impotent, directionless Government has continued to survive as long as it has.

What he'll be most remembered for (before he moves on to a cushy EU post or the private sector) will be that he actually proved to be even more useless than his immediate predecessors - no small achievement to be fair!

The one positive in all of this I guess is that people are finally starting to see through the act and recognising him for the charlatan that he is.

Still though, Better the Devil you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

So, in your opinion, what party represents an alternative? SF/IRA? FF, the party, lest we forget, that destroyed this country and brought us to the edge of ruination? And what are the ‘real issues’ that have started to get worse during ‘his tenure’? Homelessness? (A total fraud cooked up by the media and the charity industry.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So, in your opinion, what party represents an alternative? SF/IRA? FF, the party, lest we forget, that destroyed this country and brought us to the edge of ruination? And what are the ‘real issues’ that have started to get worse during ‘his tenure’? Homelessness? (A total fraud cooked up by the media and the charity industry.)

Homelessness,hospital waiting list.the erosion of basic social services.the underinvestment in vital infrastructure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement