Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millers Glen, Glen Ellen Road

Options
  • 01-04-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about buying a house in Millers Glen on the Glen Ellen Road. I am a little bit nervous that it is so far away from the village, and I will be commuting into town for work which I have limited experience of doing. I'm from Swords originally, but close to the village, so I don't have much knowledge about other parts of town apart from Rivervally and the occasional walk up to JCs.

Has anyone got much experience in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I not really sure what you're asking there. :confused:

Do you wish to know if there is public transport from Millers Glen to Swords?
    Or public transport from Millers Glen to Dublin?
    Or is it relating to walking from Millers Glen to Swords?
    Or by 'commuting' do you mean driving or cycling from Millers Glen to Dublin?

If you're more specific, you'll be better answers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

The 41c will bring you into town which stops along the Glen Ellan road. This is about a 5-8 minute walk from Millers Glen. Journey time is about 60-70 minutes.

Alternatively if you are travelling in the morning you can get the 41x from the Cianlea stop which is about a 15 minute walk from Millers Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's more people's experiences of commuting from Millers Glen to town. At the moment, I can get from my work in Grangegorman to the Pavillions SC in about 60 minutes, but I was wondering how much longer my commute could be from Glen Ellen Road? Also, what are the facilities like nearby? For example, if I run out of milk (or beer or wine), how far is the nearest shop?

Thank you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's more people's experiences of commuting from Millers Glen to town. At the moment, I can get from my work in Grangegorman to the Pavillions SC in about 60 minutes, but I was wondering how much longer my commute could be from Glen Ellen Road? Also, what are the facilities like nearby? For example, if I run out of milk (or beer or wine), how far is the nearest shop?

Thank you!

The Swords Express goes down Glenn Ellen road and it's about 10 minutes from there to Pavilions

There's a spar and lots of other shops in Applewood 10 min walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

The nearest shop, bar & off license is about a 5-10 minute walk depending where you are. There is also a chipper and Chinese and all of these are located in Applewood Village.

Gym Plus is also located in Applewood just a little further down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Also there are 2 really good primary schools basically on your doorstep if that is a requirement. Also there will be a another new primary school (ETB) and Swords Community College secondary school being built this Summer and will be right across the road from you in the Mooretown. They have built a cycle path beside the GaelScoil which will lead directly to the new schools. It is a very nice and quiet estate with everything that you need a very short walk away. JCs supermarket and Lidl are only a couple of mins away by car as well.

Sounds great! Thanks for all the info guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've recently bought in Millers Glen too! Are you buying one of the Meadowbank houses? There's a Swords Express that runs directly to and from the top of Millers Glen a couple of times a day (the 506X). I'm hoping they will add to this service over time.

I'm not sure when it will be completed but there will be a couple of retail units that include a convenience store as part the new construction phase.

We are looking at Meadowbank. The houses are lovely, but I'm a bit nervous about how far out of the village they are. I had forgotten about Applewood though.

In what way are you nervous about being away from the village??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

We are looking at Meadowbank. The houses are lovely, but I'm a bit nervous about how far out of the village they are. I had forgotten about Applewood though.

I went to look at the houses in Meadowbanks a few weeks ago and I live in Applewood. I walked and timed myself on the way back.
    It took me 12 minutes to walk from Meadowbanks to Applewood.
    It takes roughly 25 minutes to walk from Applewood to Swords main street.
    So your looking at nearly a 40 minute walk to Swords from Meadowbanks

In what way are you nervous about being away from the village??

I don't drive so I would be relying on taxis, walking etc. which might be a bit tricky. My partner drives, but he works shift so it will be me on my own a lot. Where I live now, I can walk to work and into town so it will be an adjustment for me. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.

PWEI wrote: »
    I went to look at the houses in Meadowbanks a few weeks ago and I live in Applewood. I walked and timed myself on the way back.
    It took me 12 minutes to walk from Meadowbanks to Applewood.
    It takes roughly 25 minutes to walk from Applewood to Swords main street.
    So your looking at nearly a 40 minute walk to Swords from Meadowbanks

40 minutes would be OK on the way in, but I reckon I will be getting the bus back from Pavillions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My partner doesn't drive either but I reckon it will be ok. Any essentials are in Applewood :) Then again, I've never lived an easy walking distance from work etc. so I can imagine that will be a big change for you!

I don't drive so I would be relying on taxis, walking etc. which might be a bit tricky. My partner drives, but he works shift so it will be me on my own a lot. Where I live now, I can walk to work and into town so it will be an adjustment for me. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Hi Lux,
    From the roundabout just beside Brides Glen/Castleview/Applewood, it would take me about 25mins to walk to the bottom of the village. But the village is not the be all and end all. In Applewood alone you have a pub, Chinese restaurant, SPAR, a really really nice little French bakery, a vet , a bookies, an off licence , 2 ATMs, a pharmacy and bizarrely an Angling shop 😳 and plenty more.
    From the same roundabout JCs Supermarket is about 15/17mins walk approx with LIDL being an extra 30 seconds. The schools as I said before are 2 mins away from you and there will be retail units opening there as well. AppleSeeds Montessori is also in Applewood as is Energie gym and swimming pool. Tigin Montessori is at the very bottom of that road in the Swords Business Campus and is superb as well. So lots really close by and if walking to the Pavs then you just nip down the Rathbeale Road and up Church Road past the schoolhouse pub as a shorter walk and you are right there. If you check Googlemaps from the entrance to Millers Glen to Penny’s in the Pavillions it gives a walking time of 32mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I drove through that new road this week and noticed for the first time that they are building apartments. I checked the planning application website and it seems they have a number of blocks approved that consist of 1, 2 and 3 beds apartments.
    Any idea when they go for sale and the price range as I couldn't find anything on their website. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Swords Express is the best way into and out of town for work. Takes about an hour, sadly at least half the time is taken going all over Swords, if you got on it at Airside, its only 20-30 mins to town. The Spar in Applewood village is a decent size and a 10-15 min walk tops from Millers Glen, depends where in that estate your house would be, the Village also has a Doctor's Surgery, Dentist and a Vet in addition to what's mentioned above. The 2 junior schools opposite Millers Glen are both excellent, my 3 kids went to the Gaelscoil.

Advertisement