Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

find who owns a house

Options
  • 01-04-2019 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

how do you find who owns a house on registry of deeds? it should be on landdirect.ie but i do not see it. Should I be able to find out online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Askthe EA wrote: »
    thanks but i do not see any folio on landdirect.ie.. i can see some info about the house that is freehold and other but no folio link

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

thanks but i do not see any folio on landdirect.ie.. i can see some info about the house that is freehold and other but no folio link

If the property is registry of deeds there wont be a folio. Go to search aids on landdirect (not sure whether that is an option if you're logged in as a guest) and search for the address and a list of acts come up. If you go vuy date, you'll see the last deed and the parties to it. The grantee on the last conveyance/assignment is generally you're owner.

Its a little more complicated with the registry of deeds because they file everything by the name of the grantor. But the search aid part of land direct is a good resource.

If the property is registry of deeds there wont be a folio. Go to search aids on landdirect (not sure whether that is an option if you're logged in as a guest) and search for the address and a list of acts come up. If you go vuy date, you'll see the last deed and the parties to it. The grantee on the last conveyance/assignment is generally you're owner.

Its a little more complicated with the registry of deeds because they file everything by the name of the grantor. But the search aid part of land direct is a good resource.
    Thanks. What does "If the property is registry of deeds" mean? what else would it be? I found it is a freehold if that matters

edit. there is a folio number. view folio cost 5 euro. is the owner in the folio?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Thanks. What does "If the property is registry of deeds" mean? what else would it be? I found it is a freehold if that matters

edit. there is a folio number. view folio cost 5 euro. is the owner in the folio?

There are two registers, one is the Land Registry where you have a Folio number. The other is the older Registry of deeds, which records everything by the name od the person selling.

If you've found the folio...thats great...it will tell you the name of the current registered owner on Page 3

• Advertisement

There are two registers, one is the Land Registry where you have a Folio number. The other is the older Registry of deeds, which records everything by the name od the person selling.

If you've found the folio...thats great...it will tell you the name of the current registered owner on Page 3
    thanks. i have to buy the folio? will the owner know?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

thanks. i have to buy the folio? will the owner know?

Yes from land direct you have to pay, but its small money. I have used it before.
    Just to ask the same question, if a folio is looked up will the owner listed on the folio be notified?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

jobseek wrote: »
    Yes from land direct you have to pay, but its small money. I have used it before.
    Just to ask the same question, if a folio is looked up will the owner listed on the folio be notified?
    Thanks

No they won’t know. It’s all public information.

Advertisement