Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Loughc wrote: »
    Again you are correct.

There was also a raw from Toronto. Which was essentially a taped house show and the camera was up in the rafters.

AFAIK both were a money saving exercise at the time as WWF were not in great shape financially back then.

Toronto ? Not the skydome I take it. They did do a raw from the skydome but it was sectioned off. Or was it the Georgia dome that happened ? Possibly both but it started with triple h and Vince in the ring to open the show(that narrows it right down I know) but even the 20 minute HHH promos are entertaining compared to now.

It’s a Saturday night in December in a year where I’ve watched a lot of nostalgic stuff on the network. I loved and still love those my sacrifice videos wwf did.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

I genuinely believe that ‘Absolute’ Ricky Starks has the potential to be the biggest star in prowrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    I genuinely believe that ‘Absolute’ Ricky Starks has the potential to be the biggest star in prowrestling.

He has natural charisma, he can talk, he seems like he can hold his own in terms of performing in ring.... all he needs is time. He can be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Have we been hoodwinked into thinking undertaker was truly great? In all the promo material, nearly all the material has been on his rivalry with Kane and his matches with Foley and HBK at mania.. but in his 30 years, how many other really great matches and rivalries were there? I honestly can’t think of many.. and what about great promos? Again, can’t think of many.. I’ve been watching since before he debuted and he’s obviously a cornerstone of the business, but I do feel he is exceptionally overrated as a superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Undertaker became a popculture icon in the last 30 years so he transcended wrestling that is where the greatness comes from for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Takes a lot of the times got stuck with the bottom barrel of opponents and booking that wwe could scrape at times such as giant gonalaz

But coulson is correct when you transcend wrestling that’s were the legendary status comes from and he has share of great matches to go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

One thing that never gets mentioned when talking about the Undertaker and his feuds/rivalries, is his feud with Edge. That's a rivalry I feel gets unfairly over looked, or forgotten about.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    One thing that never gets mentioned when talking about the Undertaker and his feuds/rivalries, is his feud with Edge. That's a rivalry I feel gets unfairly over looked, or forgotten about.

I really think that whole 2 years period of Batista/taker/edge feuds for the title and grudge matches is very overlooked in great feuds

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    I really think that whole 2 years period of Batista/taker/edge feuds for the title and grudge matches is very overlooked in great feuds

He had some epic matches with Angle too just prior to those feuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't the Thunderdome lease only until December?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't the Thunderdome lease only until December?

They have moved to a new arena.

Just searched for Cedric Alexander and the info card on the right of the results was confusing. Has his spouse as
    Spouse: Aerial Monroe (m. 2018), Big Swole (m. 2018)

Didn't know what was going on until I saw they were the same person. Then clicking into Cedric's wiki has his spouse as Aerial Hull, which is her real name.

If Punk told AEW he would join them however they would have to sack Colt for him to join would they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If Punk told AEW he would join them however they would have to sack Colt for him to join would they do it.

Surely not, PR nightmare for Punk and AEW. I don't think he would be that bitter.

I think it would be a long term risk. They may get Punk, but he's unpredictable and could decide to take his ball and go home at any time.
    Colt has been there a while now and seems content. So firing someone like that for a quick fix would likely come back and bite them.

Surely not, PR nightmare for Punk and AEW. I don't think he would be that bitter.

Can they not both coexist?

I dont think Punk would request Colt be fired. Nor do I think AEW would accommodate it. Both are smarter than that.

Punk would be a good signing to draw wrestling fans in who arent watching AEW who currently exclusively watch WWE. I feel Punk and AEW would be a good partnership and could get the most out of eachother.

I think Punk will eventually join. Maybe not now but in a year and Im sure if he did sign tomorrow, the debut would be well thought out and not rushed.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Can they not both coexist?

I dont think Punk would request Colt be fired. Nor do I think AEW would accommodate it. Both are smarter than that.

Punk would be a good signing to draw wrestling fans in who arent watching AEW who currently exclusively watch WWE. I feel Punk and AEW would be a good partnership and could get the most out of eachother.

I think Punk will eventually join. Maybe not now but in a year and Im sure if he did sign tomorrow, the debut would be well thought out and not rushed.

There’s no they. It’s punk who shockingly has the issue with colt.

I’d hope that AEW would tell punk where to go. He’s a talented wrestler as I’ve said before many times, but Jesus does he come across as pain in the hole to work with. I mean the things he said about colt were just awful. Colt gave him his podcast to set the story straight as he saw it and then when wwe got the hump punk left colt high and dry.

In theory it would be good until punk took his ball and went home over some perceived slight. Punk and Austin Aries are cut from the same cloth. They had the chance to be wrestlers and while I’m not saying it was all good, but pick the battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Punk would be a fantastic acquisition for AEW, hopefully it happens sometime.

Would he be the man to end the year+ long reign I think Omega gets? Stranger things have happened but that man of course should be Hangman when the time comes.

The Punk is a pain in the hole is not a fair opinion. Like can you blame him for being pissed at working with WWE?

Maybe hes a bit self entitled, I cant blame him for the way things worked out with WWE. WWE were ***** to him.

Punk would be a fantastic acquisition for AEW, hopefully it happens sometime.

Would he be them man to end the year+ long reign I think Omega gets? Stranger things have happened but that man of course should be Hangman when the time comes.

It should be Page. No doubt. AEW have to keep him strong until then and Ive no doubt they can make a star out of Page.

Punk v Mox would be a great feud story wise.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The Punk is a pain in the hole is not a fair opinion. Like can you blame him for being pissed at working with WWE?

Maybe hes a bit self entitled, I cant blame him for the way things worked out with WWE. WWE were ***** to him.

No I can’t blame him totally but it’s more how he seemed to cut his friends in wwe and colt cobanna out of his life for perceived slights that I find annoying. The wwe top brass I can see why he’s pissed at them but I don’t think punks side of the story is the full story, nor do I think whatever version wwe have is fully correct. The truth is probably in the middle by the very fact this is pro wrestling.

Him being self entitled isn’t wwes fault. The very annoying thing is in the ring you can’t deny his talent. It’s outside that the issues seem to start. Yes they were **** to him at the end and you can’t deny that. But what about the summer of 2011 ? He had it all going for him. That’s not being **** to him.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No I can’t blame him totally but it’s more how he seemed to cut his friends in wwe and colt cobanna out of his life for perceived slights that I find annoying. The wwe top brass I can see why he’s pissed at them but I don’t think punks side of the story is the full story, nor do I think whatever version wwe have is fully correct. The truth is probably in the middle by the very fact this is pro wrestling.

Him being self entitled isn’t wwes fault. The very annoying thing is in the ring you can’t deny his talent. It’s outside that the issues seem to start. Yes they were **** to him at the end and you can’t deny that. But what about the summer of 2011 ? He had it all going for him. That’s not being **** to him.

The Colt thing was soemthing to do with Punk allegedly promising to pay Colts legal fees against WWE. I dont know what the ins and outs are and only those two will. Unfair to judge Punk based off that when we dont know the true story. Its he said she said.

No one came close to him on the mic other than maybe the Miz who isnt as accomplished in the ring. Punk was a great package.

Having him go over Cena only to lose to HHH and feud with Nash killed his momentum. Horrible self serving booking. They had a star and handled it horribly. The captured lightening in a bottle for the first time in years and let it go.

Punk has legitimate gripes with wwe but he still comes across like an arrogant ahole majority of the time in anything I’ve seen him in here his dvd was really what put me off him and it’s continued since then

Although being an arrogant ahole is what made him so good at wrestling I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Miz lives rent-free in his head.

I'd love a feud between the two, I think Miz would tear strips off him on the mic.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Miz lives rent-free in his head.

I'd love a feud between the two, I think Miz would tear strips off him on the mic.

I agree. He cant move on from being overlooked for Miz. It consumes him

Miz was never ready for the main event scene.

Can we not just dislike Punk for marrying AJ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've known people like Punk and they're good people, but you'll be blacklisted from his friends lost without even knowing. For all of his bravado there is a very insecure bloke there.

I'd pop mad though if he turned up somewhere. He is what I call a flawed but still likeable arsehole.

Something that I’d forgotten when exactly in December it happened but yesterday was 19 years since Jericho beat the rock and Austin in one night to be crowned the first undisputed champion at vengeance. I mean that was like strapping a Saturn V rocket to a guy to beat the two guys in the business at the time but they messed it up and I know he faced a returning triple h, but my abiding memory of that feud was an episode of raw or smackdown involving dog ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Something that I’d forgotten when exactly in December it happened but yesterday was 19 years since Jericho beat the rock and Austin in one night to be crowned the first undisputed champion at vengeance. I mean that was like strapping a Saturn V rocket to a guy to beat the two guys in the business at the time but they messed it up and I know he faced a returning triple h, but my abiding memory of that feud was an episode of raw or smackdown involving dog ****.

I remember someone in school telling me that Jericho won and I didn't believe them until we watched it at his house.

My first swerve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

J. Marston wrote: »
    I remember someone in school telling me that Jericho won and I didn't believe them until we watched it at his house.

My first swerve!

I found out from Teletext!

Advertisement