Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hey folks,

Just wanted to give a heads up that the annual Boards PW Draft is taking sign ups now:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145693

For anyone that hasn't played before, basically you have 15 rounds to draft your absolute fantasy roster (whilst competing against the other entrants and various stipulations)

At the end then you post your PPV line up of your roster, you can be as in depth as you want within the confines of 2 posts - or you can simply post what matches you would run, entirely your choice.

I highly encourage new players to give it a go, and indeed some who may have not played for a few years - it's a bit of craic and usually coincides with the Road to Wrestlemania to get some form or assistance to hype that for us all too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm been looking at a lot of WWE 1997 stuff lately.

Fake Razor and Fake Diesel crop up in the Rumble. What exactly was Vince's tact for this gimmick?

They were never explicitly called "fake". I don't need to ask does Vince think his audience are THAT dumb.

All going well how would this have played out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Which of the big guns have never won the rumble?

Kane, Big Show, Chris Jericho come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Every so often I see a links to Reddit Squared Circle threads and I swear there's not 2 brain cells to run together on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Every so often I see a links to Reddit Squared Circle threads and I swear there's not 2 brain cells to run together on it.

I get downvoted to hell whenever I post on that sub, personally didn't think I deserved it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tonight is the 14th anniversary of the first raw of 2007 where Kevin federline appeared on raw. 14 years ? Jesus I can remember watching it and then rewatching the FU from cena to federline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think WWE and AEW are seeing who blinks first on signing Tessa. I don't think they'd care about locker room disharmony and they'd both want her if that was the only issue but signing someone with recent racist issues will be problematic.

I think wwe would be worried about locker room disharmony because the female locker room in all three brands are very close and several have not been subtle in their issues with tessa. As I’ve said previously tessa has wrestling talent to burn and a full box of matches but she has inherited Tully’s personality which may have been tolerated in the Crockets locker room in 1986 but this is 2021 and been an asshole and difficult will only be tolerated for so long. And as you say J there is the allegations of racists remarks and actions which do not help at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think wwe would be worried about locker room disharmony because the female locker room in all three brands are very close and several have not been subtle in their issues with tessa. As I’ve said previously tessa has wrestling talent to burn and a full box of matches but she has inherited Tully’s personality which may have been tolerated in the Crockets locker room in 1986 but this is 2021 and been an asshole and difficult will only be tolerated for so long. And as you say J there is the allegations of racists remarks and actions which do not help at all.

I think she's just going to be one of those people who never makes it despite her talent.

She is legitimately one of the best womens wrestlers i've ever seen, if not the best, but she just has an absolutely terrible attitude.

AEW won't allow that in their organisation, neither will Stardom, WWE already experienced it and passed on her and Impact played with fire with her for a while and got out before they got burned.

Any contract she could possibly sign with any bigger company would have to have a "act like an arsehole and we can give you the boot" clause.

I'm not a huge fan of the WWE method of retraining experienced people the basics at the PC but she was supposed to have been an absolute nightmare to deal with for the short while she was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Is there any chance of king of the ring coming back? There was none last year. It’s a good way of elevating people and Corbin really needs to lose the gimmick as it’s stale

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Is there any chance of king of the ring coming back? There was none last year. It’s a good way of elevating people and Corbin really needs to lose the gimmick as it’s stale

Sure Corbin is still living off the king gimmick

There was plans for a queen of the ring but they got shelved

• Advertisement

In terms of “look” I think Papa Shango is legit one of the best ever.

His run as Shango wasn’t long enough IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

ShagNastii wrote: »
    In terms of “look” I think Papa Shango is legit one of the best ever.

His run as Shango wasn’t long enough IMHO.

Shockingly I seen a photo of him dressed in get up in 1998, getting ready for a comeback as that character.

Its strange that he had such a short tenure as Papa Shango yet it was someone who always stood out in ny mind when thinking of my youth as a wrestling fan.

fe8304001275ec4b-600x338.jpg

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/previously-unreleased-photos-papa-shango-character-that-was-supposed-to-return-to-wwe-in-1997/

We clearly follow the same people on Twitter. I said in reply to posts that he might have been a great fit for the Ministry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I thought the recent wrestlemania held in New Orleans would of been primed for a brief Shango cameo.

Also they should hold a gimmick battle royal once a year.

Mania 17 one was the oerfect nostaglia buzz as opposed to silly backstage skits

Where is Alestair Black??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Tonight is the 14th anniversary of the first raw of 2007 where Kevin federline appeared on raw. 14 years ? Jesus I can remember watching it and then rewatching the FU from cena to federline.

He was like Pat McAfee of 2006, a celebrity that can draw heel heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Where is Alestair Black??

In his room?

Switched off the latest talk is Jericho after a few minutes.. some guy pushing Qanon and many other conspiracy theories.. one of those unsurprisingly being election fraud given Jericho’s love of trump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Switched off the latest talk is Jericho after a few minutes.. some guy pushing Qanon and many other conspiracy theories.. one of those unsurprisingly being election fraud given Jericho’s love of trump

Looks like you just made The List. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I read the TIJ episode preview. My word.

Sometimes I see Jericho as a great mind. But this bull**** is just horrible. These people dont deserve a platform.

Only saving grace is its labeled conspiracy theories which may suggest that this nonsense isnt factual and therefore you should take it with a grain of salt. Im clutching though.

• Advertisement

Goldberg could end up losing to Drew but could then move his attention to Roman Reigns on SD

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Goldberg could end up losing to Drew but could then move his attention to Roman Reigns on SD

He'll be too gassed from his Rumble entrance to make it to Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Happened to come across a clip of the Jericho podcast god he’s really gone off the conspiracy deep end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »

Why would he? Didn't Roman beat Drew the last time they met? So if Drew beats Big Willy G, why would Willy then go after Roman?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Why would he? Didn't Roman beat Drew the last time they met? So if Drew beats Big Willy G, why would Willy then go after Roman?

Because WWE booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Vince logic.

Like I get why they resort to wheeling 54 year old Bill Goldberg out. Whether we like it or not, he bumps the numbers. Anytime Goldberg returns, he does give them a boost and Vince thinks to himself "the fans want to see Goldberg".

But its says more about the way WWE creates or fails to create stars in the last decade. Legends come back and get treated like stars at the expense of other talent. The returning talent get booked in few matches, and only appear in big main event feuds. They dont get hurt with the "wins and losses dont matter pal" booking. WWE has a talented roster, yet so few of them get booked strong. Outside Drew, Roman, The Fiend and Orton (maybe Keith Lee at a push), everyone else gets booked poorly long term. And even though these guys get booked strong, other decisions in how they are portrayed do them damage.

AJ Styles should be booked strong after the Taker match. He looked great in defeat. He doesnt have to beat Drew or Orton when he returned to Raw, just keep him winning and feed off the Mania match..... within 2 weeks hes losing clean.

And thats just one example. Everyone whos not a name mentioned above gets booked in a way that they get buried or they fail to get over. The talent are all hamstrung by decisions that will never make them stars. They will always look inferior to main event stars previous.

and Im not sating WWE needs to push everyone to the main event, no. Im saying you can make stars in at least half of their roster if they use them properly. They can be booked strong without being strapped a rocket.

A random thought I always have is “What if Luther Ward had been in NXT a year or two later”.

I have no doubt he would be had a great run on the main roster.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    A random thought I always have is “What if Luther Ward had been in NXT a year or two later”.

I have no doubt he would be had a great run on the main roster.

It was very toxic when he was there IIRC, around the same time as Bill Demott ran the place.

Its hard to say how successful he would be, so many talents drop by the way side. All depends on how they book him but hed have potential to be a decent player at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

came across this again while on youtube. A classic bit from Hale and Pace.

Advertisement