Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You'd forget 205 Live is still a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

TimesArrow wrote: »
    With the numerous allegations against Mcgregor, it’s somwhat surprising the likes of Sheamus, Becky are such public supporters of him

Yeah, the last people you'd expect to defend alleged sexual criminals are pro wrestlers.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Hardcore Title was such fun around 2001.

Personal speaking I cannot remember much about the hardcore title in 2001. When I think of the title back in the day it's Crash Holly 24-7 run that always comes to mind.

What a unique storyline and original. But on that subject was it original actually? Or was it something that I dunno mid south or there other did back in the day or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I like many for the network back in the run up to Rumble so I'm revisiting old shows. Having watched the 2004 Royal Rumble and the gong fake out, I decided to watch Taker's return at Wrestlemania 20.

I remember watching as a 17 year old young lad and loving the build up to the match at Mania, but I was sore over the mundane look he had when the match finally came around. Taker was forever changing his look I know, but seeing him in the cowboy get up doing the deadman schtick just seemed like the bare minimum.

Now of course Taker went on to have arguably his best run that lasted nearly to 2012 or so, but jaysus I would have loved to see him go for a bolder look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Despite what people say online, Kevin Owens is and always has been a midcarder at best in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

El Sueño wrote: »
    Despite what people say online, Kevin Owens is and always has been a midcarder at best in my opinion.

He could have been better. Epic main roster debut, great series with Cena... but his failure to go over or to capatise on his heat following the feud devalued him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah.
    Like sure Owens can talk. He can even wrestle. But he does not fit the mould for being a main eventer by WWE standards.

Look towards guys like Hogan, rock, Austin, warrior, savage, triple h, Bret, Shawn, randy Orton, Cena ... Could go on. They all had bodies. They didn't look like a guy who would see drinking in your local bar.

That said fair play to him for reaching as high as he had given his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Curious to see what they do with Omos. Is he ever going to become a single wrestler? If he can even go a little on the ring, he could be a star I reckon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He could have been better. Epic main roster debut, great series with Cena... but his failure to go over or to capatise on his heat following the feud devalued him.

It wasn't that for me. It was having him fed to Goldberg to set up the rematch with Brock that did him in, he just never recovered as a top tier talent imo.

Still annoyed about that tbh, Owens and Jericho for the title could have meant much more after the relatively decent build.

Curious to see what they do with Omos. Is he ever going to become a single wrestler? If he can even go a little on the ring, he could be a star I reckon

Whats the rush.... hes very green.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

He’s got Diesel written all over him. I think he definitely will be a single star. But give him plenty of time and hopefully he picks up some pointers from AJ.

Loughc wrote: »
    He’s got Diesel written all over him. I think he definitely will be a single star. But give him plenty of time and hopefully he picks up some pointers from AJ.

Hes fine. Him and AJ work well together. Id let him continue to be AJs heater and eventually have him slowly be AJs occasional tag partner in maybe 6 months time. Theres zero rush, let him watch AJ work. Its a pity house shows are gone, Id introduce him slowly to tag matches on house shows for a half year first before they throw him on TV.

This is one of my least anticipated Rumbles.

I dont think anyone involved in either match (knowingly at keast, Ive avoided spoilers) has been built up to be a credible winner.

Keith Lee is not ready, but I could see him v Roman I suppose. But really thats it.

Daniel Bryan has been coolled off too much since his glory days and hasnt been built back up to be a credible threat or a decent headlining Mania main eventer. Any feud with Roman would be ok as a segway feud or hold feud until Mania but theres just not enough gas in a feud to make me think Maina dealine.

Edge is a big enough name but his absence from injury hurt his momentum. Hes a better choice than most but its not screaming Mania main event feud for me.

Strowman looks in great shape following his surgery but hes been hot and cold way too much to really invest in as a Mania main eventer.

Sheamus, AJ, Nakamura, Big E, Cesaro and others are just not at a main event level in terms of booking.

Orton and Wyatt are a big no from me.

Brock returning is a big main event v Roman or Drew but Brock is old hat for me. I personally am sick of him as a Mania headliner. Same goes for Cena

Yes there are options but they just dont fill me with much desire to see them.

The Womens Rumble hasnt been focused on at all. Maybe a Riusey or Becky return could be big but who would they face.... Asuka? Banks ?....Bliss ? Cant see any big main events from this match.

Overall I will watch the Rumble but my expectations of the outcome and future Mania matches have dampened the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

First time in a long time, that I'm not excited for a Royal Rumble.

The apathy towards WWE and it's lackluster content is at an all time high.

Lets not kid, WWE has gone through so many poor perioids but the Rumble is usually a sure fire way to suck me back in. I dont think it will this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I’ll watch the rumble match on a streaming site tomorrow evening probably. More so out of tradition than anything else. First one since 95 I’ll have not given much thought about

Yeah very rarely watch WWE these days but would always tune in for the royal rumble each year (haven't even watched the last few Wrestlemanias but still watch the rumble) but have no desire to watch it this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    First time in a long time, that I'm not excited for a Royal Rumble.

The apathy towards WWE and it's lackluster content is at an all time high.

Yep. Same the rumble used to be a mark the calendar type of event now I don’t care If I see it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No matter how shít WWE is I'll always love the Rumble.

Also, putting €2 on someone to win it gets you surprisingly invested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Yeah I took a break since survivor series but I'm looking forward to the rumble, particularly the women's one. The lack of obvious candidates for the women's and men's makes it very interesting! I know people are apathetic, but to be fair, it's been a ****e year, I haven't been excited for any sports even recently!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

It was the HiaC DQ finish to get the belt off Rollins at a Saudi show that almost did it for me. Survivor Series not being an NXT squash kept me around.

Last time I got close to just dropping Smackdown was during Great Khali's title run and Batista getting title shots just by entering Teddy Long's eyeline.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yep. Same the rumble used to be a mark the calendar type of event now I don’t care If I see it or not.

I think I've just watched my last WWE event since I began in 1992. Utter garbage. The streak.... is over :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moved some of the post-Rumble comments over to the dedicated Rumble thread, lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Check out the Late Late show thread on TV for the saddest examples of this behaviour :pac:

I'd watch a thousand Raws before I'd watch one Late Late.

"The weekend is here. What do people want, music, comedy? No, cancer, abuse and depression."

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'd watch a thousand Raws before I'd watch one Late Late.

"The weekend is here. What do people want, music, comedy? No, cancer, abuse and depression."

They should add in WWE shaky cam though and Tubridy saying “Oh my.... could it be?! It is!!! It’s misery slot time!!!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can we have A Christian heel turn, if he is back full/part time than the night after mania is a possibility. Edge out celebrating his title win and bam heel turn for Christian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A couple of thoughts having watched the rumble today:

- The lack of crowds has really exposed how awful the commentary is these days. The onus is now on the commentary team to sell the big moments, and they are utterly incapable of doing so.

- Naomi's spot where her feet "didn't touch the floor" and she got back in the ring really annoys me. By that logic about half of the eliminations wouldn't be valid and they could all just slide over to the ring steps and re enter.

- The "guy gets taken out but not technically eliminated and comes back at the end" spot needs to be given a rest for a while, it's been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

- Naomi's spot where her feet "didn't touch the floor" and she got back in the ring really annoys me. By that logic about half of the eliminations wouldn't be valid and they could all just slide over to the ring steps and re enter.
    They've done this spot with a few people now at a few Rumbles and it's the absolute pits. It raises so many logical problems too and the spots just aren't impressive. It feels like they just ran out of ideas for a 'Kofi' spot the last few years but have to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’m a fan of Peter Rosenbergs cheap heat wrestling podcast but him winning the 24/7 title was Dumb beyond belief, even for a completely useless title. And I’m seeing rumours he paid to win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ThePott wrote: »
    They've done this spot with a few people now at a few Rumbles and it's the absolute pits. It raises so many logical problems too and the spots just aren't impressive. It feels like they just ran out of ideas for a 'Kofi' spot the last few years but have to get them in.

Kacy Catanzaro landed the same way in a recent battle royal, so even that part wasn't original

Advertisement