Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Kacy Catanzaro landed the same way in a recent battle royal, so even that part wasn't original
    I think i remeber that, where she turned around on her hands I think.
    That's the problem like at this stage the interesting spots that could occur naturally have all been done and the stuff that's left to do just isn't worth doing yet they continue. Credit to Kacy she's at least had some interesting ones in recent memory but other than that they've been diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I’m a fan of Peter Rosenbergs cheap heat wrestling podcast but him winning the 24/7 title was Dumb beyond belief, even for a completely useless title. And I’m seeing rumours he paid to win it

They aren't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With no appearance at the Rumble, when could we expect a Taya debut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With no appearance at the Rumble, when could we expect a Taya debut?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a Dirt sheet segment with Bianca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

18 years ago today evolution was officially formed. So trips(looking like a knock off ric flair), Randy Orton, The actual ric flair, and Dave Batista got together and they are certainly up there as an all time great stable but none will ever top the four horsemen for me(The flair, Tully, arn, and Barry windham incarnation).

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    18 years ago today evolution was officially formed. So trips(looking like a knock off ric flair), Randy Orton, The actual ric flair, and Dave Batista got together and they are certainly up there as an all time great stable but none will ever top the four horsemen for me(The flair, Tully, arn, and Barry windham incarnation).

I've no real affection for Evolution like others do because I hated Raw around this time period. HHH coming out and cutting boring promos for 20 minutes each week + never putting anyone over is all I think of. I was just never a huge fan of Batista and Orton either. During or after Evolution. Is there an unpopular opinion thread still going? :pac:

I've no real affection for Evolution like others do because I hated Raw around this time period. HHH coming out and cutting boring promos for 20 minutes each week + never putting anyone over is all I think of. I was just never a huge fan of Batista and Orton either. During or after Evolution. Is there an unpopular opinion thread still going? :pac:

Seems to be every thread these days.

The triple h thing I agree with. It went from boring 20 minute promos to... well 20 minute boring promos with mutton chops. I know Orton at various times has phoned it in, but you can’t deny the guy is a gifted wrestler and when on is 24 carat gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Triple H with the mutton chops/handlebar moustache, was nothing but a cheap dime store imitation of Lemmy.

Granted it was an homage by Hunter at the time, but I stand by what I said.

And something I’ve only realised watching it back on the network is that evolution wasn’t a four person group for nearly as long as I’d assumed. Batista was injured at times and Orton had his shoulder issues. Btw I’m not signing the canonisation forms for them as a group I’m just pointing out a date in history. We did get the amazing build to Batista wining the title from HHH at WM 21 which started the summer before with Orton being kicked out and all that good stuff. And there’s not many wrestling opinions I’ll die on a hill for, but one is that Randy Orton is undervalued in the eyes of many fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Evolution Randy was the best he ever was imo. He was a genuinely unlikeable heel and worked brilliantly in that role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The buzz is slowly running out for Edges return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The buzz is slowly running out for Edges return.

Is it?

I'm still buzzed. Did you see his interaction with Finn and Pete Dunne? Imagine him facing either of those lads!

His injury really put the skids under the return. He's had one feud. Edge is fantastic on the mic, and I think personally, his facial expressions are unmatched, and have only gotten better while he was away. Comes across as genuine, and all that time acting has paid off.

I'd be grand with Edge and Christian having one last run as a tag-team but absolutely zero interest in Christian as a singles wrestler at the top of the card.

Always screamed mid-card title holder to me. Same story with Eddie and Benoit.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Here's something for everyone to ponder. Whenever a team (I'll use this weekend's Super Bowl 55 as an example) in another sports wins a Championship, and they get the obligatory WWE Championship replica as a congratulations. What actually happens to those replica Championships? Would either the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Kansas City Chiefs keep the replica, or just bin it and move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd say a player keeps it.

A wrestling fan or the game's MVP or something. Even if you weren't a wrestling fan, I doubt you'd bin it!

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'd say a player keeps it.

A wrestling fan or the game's MVP or something. Even if you weren't a wrestling fan, I doubt you'd bin it!
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Here's something for everyone to ponder. Whenever a team (I'll use this weekend's Super Bowl 55 as an example) in another sports wins a Championship, and they get the obligatory WWE Championship replica as a congratulations. What actually happens to those replica Championships? Would either the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Kansas City Chiefs keep the replica, or just bin it and move on?

Prob go up on the wall in the teams training centre or area of there home stadium like board room, museum etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Prob go up on the wall in the teams training centre or area of there home stadium like board room, museum etc

Yup they keep it.
    Here's an example of the New York Giants at Met Life

new-york-giants-super-bowl-trophies-on-display-in-the-legacy-club-at-metlife-stadium-P570WW.jpg

What's actually funny is players selling their SuperBowl rings :p

nfl_pawn_stars_576.jpg

Another thread made me read up on what Joe Hennig was up to.....easy to forget that when he was repackaged as Curtis Axel and put with Heyman that he faced Triple H, and won by knockout because of "concussive" issues for Triple H. :eek:

Talk about a rocket that went absolutely nowhere. I always understood Stone Cold's reason for walking out over how they wanted him to put Brock over but this just hammers it home even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Another thread made me read up on what Joe Hennig was up to.....easy to forget that when he was repackaged as Curtis Axel and put with Heyman that he faced Triple H, and won by knockout because of "concussive" issues for Triple H. :eek:

Talk about a rocket that went absolutely nowhere. I always understood Stone Cold's reason for walking out over how they wanted him to put Brock over but this just hammers it home even more.

They put him with HHH with literally no build ...... what were they expecting, even if HHH puts him over strong (he didnt) this was too much too soon. No wonder it didnt pan out.

Axel isnt the saviour of wrestling like this, but he wasnt given a decent shot either. Like so many who get promoted to the main roster.

Joe was introduced under a silly name and basically fodder for Cena in the Nexus, then repackaged suddenly as Mr Perfects kid with the same look and we were magically expected to buy it. Then his push was half hearted and rushed, before he was relegated to comedy act and forgotten.

A decent hand who wasnt given a fair chance.

• Advertisement

I can remember being excited they repackaged him and put him with Heyman. Just can't get my head around it going nowhere after Hunter put him "over".

The Mcgillicutty stuff doesn't bear mentioning.

Why does Kevin Owens stunner look so ****? Is it the way people are taking it or the way he's giving it? Looks like it's too fast or something. ****ty WWE camera work these days probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Bayley but her entrance theme is the best in WWE. Really old-school feel to it.

Why does Kevin Owens stunner look so ****? Is it the way people are taking it or the way he's giving it? Looks like it's too fast or something. ****ty WWE camera work these days probably doesn't help.

I’d say it’s a bit for column A and B cactus. I mean it takes two to tango as they say and as we’ve seen Austin give stunners who couldn’t take them and it looked like ****. Well on the speed question it’s probably because Austin had a longer set up to it then KO has.

And on the Curtis axel post. If I’m remembering correctly Vince had this belief that sons of wrestlers needed to earn the right to use the family name. It seems that only went for some because the old man changes his mind like a gust of wind.

Maybe it's the top he's wearing but looking at the picture quickly, it looks like a picture of his back with his head the wrong way round

The kick he does beforehand doesn't help either. It looks like he's for a stunner, remembers the kick at the last second and barely connects with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

As suspected, the AEW wedding angle involving undercard acts Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford smoked the Edge segment in the top the of the hour quarter on Wednesday. Even taking into account that wedding angles traditionally do well ratings wise, that's a disaster. Following on from the dismal post Rumble Raw rating and now the flat Smackdown rating too, if this were in the era of pay per view, WWE would be pivoting away from Edge as early as the next edition of Raw such is the interest (born out by the ratings) in this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Re: the stunner talk.
    It really is a great move isn't it? Like Owens doesn't do it as good as Austin sure. But the move is amazing on the subject.

Can be hit on anyone and out of no-where. I wonder what other moves could be done the same that just haven't been?
    Be it either not invented yet or hasn't been built up that way. DDP (and Orton) have the diamond cutter. Jake Roberts had the DDT. I wonder what else could be the next move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Re: the stunner talk.
    It really is a great move isn't it? Like Owens doesn't do it as good as Austin sure. But the move is amazing on the subject.

Can be hit on anyone and out of no-where. I wonder what other moves could be done the same that just haven't been?
    Be it either not invented yet or hasn't been built up that way. DDP (and Orton) have the diamond cutter. Jake Roberts had the DDT. I wonder what else could be the next move?

Sweet Chin Music comes to mind. HBK does it so flawlessly he can hit it from any angle on anyone. Still, remember the superkick he gave to Shelton Benjamen when he went for a springboard move off the top rope.

Advertisement