Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would anyone else agree that it's gone very quiet around these parts as of late? Is that to do with WWE being sh*t recently? Are people gone to Squared Circle on Reddit perhaps or elsewhere? Is it Boards in general that's the issue? Maybe it's just me but not as much life around PW Boards as there once was.
    Product for me. Can't even get the motivation up to watch the YouTube clips.

There's an element of boards exhaustion as well. To be honest I'm in far better form when I'm not arguing with someone online.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

With hindsight, giving fans everything they wanted at Mania might've been a bad call. There is no chase right now that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think whatever interest people had just peaked at Mania and they have to build it back up. But it’s not just WWE, I was burnt out on all of wrestling for weeks from NJPW (haven’t watched any BOSJ so far) even to local stuff. Thank god for GOT, Endgame and the NBA playoffs/end of the football season coming along at this time. Now after Double Or Nothing I’m switched back into wrestling mode and starting to build enthusiasm again though. There’s the couple of Fight Factory shows here, Takeover next week, Dominion in June, the next AEW shows, then it’s SummerSlam/G1 season. Loads to look forward to and a bit of hunger there to absorb it all now.

The end of GoT disappointed me more than anything WWE has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It was gas, I went from the end of GOT, knowing (no spoilers) that what happened would upset people, straight to watching the end of MITB. It felt like WWE were like “Hold my beer...”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

leggo wrote: »
    It was gas, I went from the end of GOT, knowing (no spoilers) that what happened would upset people, straight to watching the end of MITB. It felt like WWE were like “Hold my beer...”

Aye, you're right. Gratitude seems to be the buzz word these days and looking back now, I certainly feel that towards GoT. Even if the last two seasons weren't to my liking I'm so thankful these guys gave us this show.

WWE on the other hand has utterly exhausted me - I used to watch the official YT clips regularly but all I do now is scroll and say no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's more the product, I would say. How many of the posts in the PPV threads say they don't watch the weeklies anymore? It's too long and repetitive, literally in some cases. I mean how many times do they have to show something that happened "Moments ago" or "earlier tonight"? And that's usually when setting up the main event which consists of a variation of the main event we've seen for multiple weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I always think that WWE product was a lot more stale right before CM Punk pipebomb.

I always found RAW a lot more harder to sit through when it was basically SNL especially with guest hosts that never watched wrestling before and they added a ton of gimmick PPVs like Fatal-4-Way and when 'Divas' didn't matter to the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I think they're badly missing Cena/the next Ace. All Vince knows is having a guy at the top that you build the show around. While Roman is certainly the most suited to that roll he still is not and most likely never will be at the Cena level of show carrying.

I don't think I see anyone coming through atm with that potential either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

You know the stuff they do online with iconics and the guys with 24/7 with truth and maverick are just so much better than there actual shows

https://youtu.be/W15NOgAyyT4

• Advertisement

Was watching that earlier. I find them funny though I think Billie's voice would go through me after a while, as Sonya confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching that earlier. I find them funny though I think Billie's voice would go through me after a while, as Sonya confirmed.

Yeah she's one of those constant super excited people.

They're barely on TV anymore, they always lose and they're not very good in the ring but they're a thousand times more entertaining than the Boss n Hug connection ever were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

J. Marston wrote: »
    They're barely on TV anymore, they always lose and they're not very good in the ring but they're a thousand times more entertaining than the Boss n Hug connection ever were.

They were given the joke womens tag belts that WWE made to trick Sasha in signing a contract extension. The company isn't going to bother putting them on TV much as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Has WWE ever used different sized belts?

I'm looking at a video of all Cena's world title wins, and the World Heavyweight Title always seemed to be a bit smaller when he held it than the likes of Triple H or Batista

Similar situation when he won the WWE title off Rey Mysterio, it seemed like a kid's belt, especially when compared to CM Punk's one which looked more proper

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has WWE ever used different sized belts?

I'm looking at a video of all Cena's world title wins, and the World Heavyweight Title always seemed to be a bit smaller when he held it than the likes of Triple H or Batista

Similar situation when he won the WWE title off Rey Mysterio, it seemed like a kid's belt, especially when compared to CM Punk's one which looked more proper

I don't know if they used actual different sized belts but i know that a larger belt was made for Andre the giant before his match with hogan and mania 3 but seeing as the plan was to always have hogan win(in a horrible match btw) I don't know why that belt was actually made. Unless it was a kayfabe reason but I don't know if it was shown on tv, but Heenan mentions it in the contract signing for the match.

Speaking of belts, is there a reason the WCW/World heavyweight championship kept being referred to as the big gold belt? And same with the NWA title being referred to the 10 pounds of gold. Seems I hear it called that more than the NWA championship

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Speaking of belts, is there a reason the WCW/World heavyweight championship kept being referred to as the big gold belt? And same with the NWA title being referred to the 10 pounds of gold. Seems I hear it called that more than the NWA championship

The big gold belt is the one that Jim Crockett jr had made for Ric Flair in 1985/6 to replace the domed globe which is the one called the ten pounds of gold which dates from 1973. I assume it was referred to as the ten pounds of gold is because they wanted to imply that’s how much gold was in the belt. The big gold belt was the NWA belt from 1985/6 until WCW left the NWA in 1993. I mean it’s a big belt that looks gold. I don’t know but I doubt there was much more to it’s nickname than that.

Liv Morgan is a strange case where her wrestling name is quite dull and normal while her real name is a total wrestling name. Gionna Daddio!

Liv Morgan is a strange case where her wrestling name is quite dull and normal while her real name is a total wrestling name. Gionna Daddio!

i actually cant believe it her real name its so ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's a lot of this.

Ricky Steamboat - Ricky Blood
    Sasha Banks - Mercedes Kaestner-Varnado
    Kelly Kelly - Barbie Blank (just look at the eyes, nothing going on in that head at all)
    Bray Wyatt - Wyndam Rotunda
    Bobo Brazil - Houston Harris

Kane - Glenn Jacobs (eh, maybe not)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Sasha Banks is a million times better than that name

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kenny Omega's real name is Tyson Smith. That's a savage name for a wrestler.

Sasha could play on her name being Vince's initials in reverse

Sasha could play on her name being Vince's initials in reverse

if she ever goes to TNA thatll happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Dolph Ziggler - Nick nemeth

Also met a wrestler before when a trainee driving around folks for IWW, his wrestling name was something generic like Storm but his real name was Max Angeles .... i was like dude thats the greatest wrestler name i ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

sky88 wrote: »
    if she ever goes to TNA thatll happen

They can just bring back the Voodoo Kin Mafia

Billy Gunn is free too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They can just bring back the Voodoo Kin Mafia

Billy Gunn is free too

Billy is signed to AEW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kenny Omega's real name is Tyson Smith. That's a savage name for a wrestler.

Basically Tyson Kidd if he went even further with the Hart Foundation gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The difference between Kofi on UpUpDownDown and on weekly TV, is drastically different.

Advertisement