Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Finn vs Walter was the plan for Takeover Dublin but as we all know that might never take place at this stage

Possibly the plane was only over for Business somewhere in Europe and was only refuling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust was an underrated gimmick, imo. Definitely better than the bible-bashing thing he did after that, and Luna was the perfect valet for it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Read this morning that Chris Jericho is the only WWE champion to have been born in New York. Pretty mind blowing, considering the company is mainly based out of there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Read this morning that Chris Jericho is the only WWE champion to have been born in New York. Pretty mind blowing, considering the company is mainly based out of there

also the fact he is widely known to be Canadian is another mind-bender to that fact. That's certainly a "sudden-death" pro wrestling quiz question if I ever seen one! :p

I was thinking Foley but forgot he was born in Indiana.

• Advertisement

On the subject, does it just mean WWE (since 2002) or does it mean WWF too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

On the subject, does it just mean WWE (since 2002) or does it mean WWF too?

In it's history I believe. All the way back to WWWF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

He should go back to Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s not that mind blowing. Their early champions like Bruno, Pedro, Ivan koloff were champion in part because they represented the ethnic make up of New York City and the areas around it. The ethic baby face champion was a WWWF/WWF staple. And it worked as they sold out MSG for years. The north eastern United States was a melting pot and Vince Sr booked his territory to take advantage of that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

briany wrote: »
    He should go back to Toronto.

He’s from Winnipeg, you idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    He’s from Winnipeg, you idiot.

God I loved that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Did Bryan and Jericho ever work a program together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Did Bryan and Jericho ever work a program together?

I'm pretty sure his very first match in WWE was against Jericho when he was World Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Not exactly breaking news ground, but on this weeks Cheap Heat pod, there was a good discussion on how wwe have/ are squandering so many of their roster who are languishing aimlessly in the mid card or who have left the company. The talent pool is huge and unebelievably they’ve failed to elevate talent in creating true main event stars and it’s not like a lot of these lads/ ladies are completely devoid of personality

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Not exactly breaking news ground, but on this weeks Cheap Heat pod, there was a good discussion on how wwe have/ are squandering so many of their roster who are languishing aimlessly in the mid card or who have left the company. The talent pool is huge and unebelievably they’ve failed to elevate talent in creating true main event stars and it’s not like a lot of these lads/ ladies are completely devoid of personality

To chime in with something relating to this I randomly came across a YouTube video of Anthony Mackie talking about how there aren't any movie stars anymore. To quote him "Anthony Mackie isn't a movie star... The Falcon is"

Same as WWE today. The promotion is the star. Back in the 1980s McMahon purposely made the WWF logo bigger and bigger on posters. While making Hogan, savage etc pics smaller and smaller. Selling the brand and not the star.
    Maybe WWE's mentality has just ruined their ability to build stars now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cool thing that someone on Reddit made. A timeline of WWE...

6rkiv5i5pui61.png

Just looking at the title belts on the bottom and I think the wwe undisputed title belt that replaced the wwe title and world title in 2002 was a beautiful belt. The ones since have never as good as that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

To chime in with something relating to this I randomly came across a YouTube video of Anthony Mackie talking about how there aren't any movie stars anymore. To quote him "Anthony Mackie isn't a movie star... The Falcon is"

Same as WWE today. The promotion is the star. Back in the 1980s McMahon purposely made the WWF logo bigger and bigger on posters. While making Hogan, savage etc pics smaller and smaller. Selling the brand and not the star.
    Maybe WWE's mentality has just ruined their ability to build stars now?

You can do that and have stars and make more money.

You can do that and have stars and make more money.

WWE can't these days tho.
    The last mega star they made was John Cena and that was years ago. They're signing some of the best talent in the world so we surely should have had another break out mega star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE can't these days tho.
    The last mega star they made was John Cena and that was years ago. They're signing some of the best talent in the world so we surely should have had another break out mega star.

In a world where they knew how to make stars and in an environment that was conducive to star creation then sure we would have. But don't think for a second that WWE's intention is to have a show with no stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just looking at the title belts on the bottom and I think the wwe undisputed title belt that replaced the wwe title and world title in 2002 was a beautiful belt. The ones since have never as good as that one.

How did that spinner one last as long as it did. FML....

How did that spinner one last as long as it did. FML....

It made them money.

Also, it was five years ago yesterday when this happened.

I watched this live and the pop was great. Shame it ended up like most things being run into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just seeing the mention of a WWE spy in AEW made me think how likely is it Vince has tried to get wrestlers with partners in AEW to get inside info? Like Bayley (Aaron Solow), Cedric(Big Swole), Adam Cole(Britt Baker) or now Drake(Renee Michelle).

And now just confirming Aaron and Bayley, I find out their engagement has been called off a couple days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just seeing the mention of a WWE spy in AEW made me think how likely is it Vince has tried to get wrestlers with partners in AEW to get inside info? Like Bayley (Aaron Solow), Cedric(Big Swole), Adam Cole(Britt Baker) or now Drake(Renee Michelle).

And now just confirming Aaron and Bayley, I find out their engagement has been called off a couple days ago.

How do people expect conversations like these to go?

"Hi pal, ask your wife/husband what's the sca' over in AEW and report back to me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably.

Wait til it comes out that Miro is actually a spy which explains a lot and how he's sabotaging the show since they knew he had a good chance of getting on Dynamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

5 years....holy crap. That decade went by far too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do FiteTV give out viewing numbers for episodes and PPV's?

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1364648795099836425?s=19

I hate the way WWE announce a lot of their signings like this these days. Especially for established wrestlers (like Taya ) that have wrestled for years. "They've reported for training at the PC" and pictures in those "property of WWE" shirts. Just makes them look like jabronies straight off the bat and not "superstars".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

'Tis a bit Papa Lazarou.

Advertisement