Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No one would want Mick Foley as he looks right now on there TV program.

He has taken is hobo look to all new levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

No one would want Mick Foley as he looks right now on there TV program.

He has taken is hobo look to all new levels.

Was watching a YouTube video on his his TNA run and fecking hell that was rough. Coincided with my downturn in interest in TNA I think after being a huge fan for years.

A sharp drop off after a few months after January show where they went up against Raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Baby-faced Assassin could've been a good wrestling moniker...

https://twitter.com/unitedrewind/status/1366477455175909380

I love Mick Foley but want him nowhere near AEW because they shouldn't be looking to the past.

I think his son works for WWE now so he wouldn't want to jeopardize that anyway.

I'm not even a huge fan but the only person they should be aiming to sign from the last 10 - 15 years is CM Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I love Mick Foley but want him nowhere near AEW because they shouldn't be looking to the past.

I think his son works for WWE now so he wouldn't want to jeopardize that anyway.

I'm not even a huge fan but the only person they should be aiming to sign from the last 10 - 15 years is CM Punk.

You would think that they've made some form of an offer at this stage?

• Advertisement

You would think that they've made some form of an offer at this stage?

Only thing I read a year or two back is that he felt disrespected or something because Cody just text him asking did he want to join rather than setting up a proper meeting etc. I could be getting that story wrong.

When the company was first started up, all the EVPs and Tony Khan were talking about its something they're looking at but after it awhile they just started saying that it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE wrestlers getting gotten to by Soulja Boy on Twitter is just *chef's kiss*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WWE wrestlers getting gotten to by Soulja Boy on Twitter is just *chef's kiss*

Whats this? Can you elaborate.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Whats this? Can you elaborate.

So one of the Retribution geeks (Dijak) hops onto the Twitter and responds to a 2 day old Soulja Boy tweet calling pro wrestling fake. Because nothing, not the lack of job security, travel expenses, freedom to pursue revenue streams outside of WWE, nothing riles up WWE wrestlers more than a mid 2000's rapper calling pro wrestling fake (which it is), aside from maybe that "pyramid dollar team game" that caused all sorts of consternation. Randy Orton decides he's seen enough and he jumps into the fray, he says they're "actors who do stunts without pads 200 days a year" now, I don't mean to get myself involved in a gang/locker room war but I mean there is pads and they don't work 200 days a year. But whatever. Soulja Boy say he's real and seems confused as to who Randy Orton is, strange considering there's now 2 Ortons to contend with, I'd say Soulja Boy has picked the wrong time to mess with Randy. They trade some rap/real barbs back and forth and that puts an end to it. A certainty to go down in the history books as one of the great "gotten to" pro wrestling social media encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's a tweet from February 28th, I think is the cause of the issue..

https://twitter.com/souljaboy/status/1365924312985731073

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's a tweet from February 28th, I think is the cause of the issue..

https://twitter.com/souljaboy/status/1365924312985731073

Like hes not even picking a fight with wrestlers, its an off-the-cuff comparison.

Its literally nothing.

Dijak's twitter game started well but has nosed dived. Kinda like his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It was bait pure and simple, and Dijak fell for it hook, line and sinker. Though surely as professional wrestlers repping a company, and those who've been in the business long enough that they should at least be able to spot something so clearly designed to wind up and provoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Soulja Boy vs Bow Wow to headline WM 38.

Soulja Boy vs Bow Wow to headline WM 38.

Well they're running out of wrestlers from that era to headline Wrestlemania with so might as well move on to rappers. Plus these guys at least have some Twitter game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

So one of the Retribution geeks (Dijak) hops onto the Twitter and responds to a 2 day old Soulja Boy tweet calling pro wrestling fake. Because nothing, not the lack of job security, travel expenses, freedom to pursue revenue streams outside of WWE, nothing riles up WWE wrestlers more than a mid 2000's rapper calling pro wrestling fake (which it is), aside from maybe that "pyramid dollar team game" that caused all sorts of consternation. Randy Orton decides he's seen enough and he jumps into the fray, he says they're "actors who do stunts without pads 200 days a year" now, I don't mean to get myself involved in a gang/locker room war but I mean there is pads and they don't work 200 days a year. But whatever. Soulja Boy say he's real and seems confused as to who Randy Orton is, strange considering there's now 2 Ortons to contend with, I'd say Soulja Boy has picked the wrong time to mess with Randy. They trade some rap/real barbs back and forth and that puts an end to it. A certainty to go down in the history books as one of the great "gotten to" pro wrestling social media encounters.
    Alvarez?

Alvarez?

The vernacular just kinda leaks into your everyday life. I think Retribution, and like word association makes the 1st thing I think of geeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

Me clicking into a wrestling thread on Boards to chat about wrestling and it's a total warzone.
    giphy.webp
    Seriously, every thread seems to have become just a massive argument lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve decided to do a rewatch of 2003/2004 raw up into mania XX and I started with the last episode of 2003 which features a great main event between HBK and HHH but the show as a whole is poor and reminds me of why most of us hated the reign of terror. I’m on January 5th, 2004 and a few observations. I really like the raw set bar the fact the announce table is by the entrance. The bar ring side area isn’t a good look. Evolution are in full flight and on this episode the Dudley boys will face flair and big Dave for the tag titles. The coach is on commentary and is bugging me already. I think this is the start of his run on commentary. Orton is IC champ and he’s great. As I’m watching Christian and Jericho just won a tag match against the hurricane and rosey.

In another case of “on this day in wrestling history...” tonight is the twentieth anniversary of Paul heyman’s commentary debut on Monday night raw taking over from Jerry lawler who had quit a few days prior because his then wife the Kat had been fired and he went with her. I don’t know what others think but I personally loved the Heyman and JR combo during what was all told a poor enough invasion angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In another case of “on this day in wrestling history...” tonight is the twentieth anniversary of Paul heyman’s commentary debut on Monday night raw taking over from Jerry lawler who had quit a few days prior because his then wife the Kat had been fired and he went with her. I don’t know what others think but I personally loved the Heyman and JR combo during what was all told a poor enough invasion angle.

I remember “watching” that on the old scrambled Sky Sports channel back in the day. Instantly remembered the voice. Couldn’t get over it! Had to wait til the show was over to watch it cos my mate taped it for me.

Anyone else used to listen/watch like that at all?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I remember “watching” that on the old scrambled Sky Sports channel back in the day. Instantly remembered the voice. Couldn’t get over it! Had to wait til the show was over to watch it cos my mate taped it for me.

Yep. Raw on a Friday all the time until we eventually got Sky Sports in.

My father had gotten a unique multi channel box(that’s what he called it) in the early nineties so I watched lots of this stuff as it aired unscrambled. I know it was a Friday here in Ireland but it built up the excitement.

I found out that rikishi was the driver of the car by listening to cork campus radio while in east cork and victor Barry gave out the results. Young fans today don’t know how easy they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I remember Sky Sports was unscrambed for New Year's Revolution (2005). The undercard was not great, but it had second best ever chamber match.

I used to listen to the football each Sunday. Being poor rocked. Rich kids aint got those memories. I switched between the scrambled channel and the multi box cablelink channel that had a small box for Sky Sports. No sound though and switched to wanted ads occasionally.

Thankfully I used to watch Raw in my mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I was lucky enough to have Sky growing up and it was great for the Raw on a Friday night.

The PPVs on channel 4 were awful though, they had a few every year. They started late, 1.50 rather than 1 if I remember right and the picture quality was always horrific.

Anyone else get the scoops from SkyOnes teletext channel?

All bollox , all nostalgic

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Anyone else get the scoops from SkyOnes teletext channel?

All bollox , all nostalgic

Yep, that's how I knew Jericho was on the way to WWF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was lucky enough to have Sky growing up and it was great for the Raw on a Friday night.

Friday night RAW was real appointment TV on SKY back in the day. Take any intro of RAW from the latter half of '98 and it's off the scale in terms of excitement with the screamer rockets going off, the bruising guitar riff playing, the camera roving through the electric crowd, Jim Ross calling out what was to come on the show.... Like, I don't think wrestling was ever better than that in terms of pure adrenaline and hype. And then the sound of the broken glass would hit, and it was another huge pop.

Sorry, but it'll never be that good again, for a variety of reasons, like cookie cutter wrestlers doing scripted promos to half distracted audiences.

The PPVs on channel 4 were awful though, they had a few every year. They started late, 1.50 rather than 1 if I remember right and the picture quality was always horrific.

Yeah 1:50am and there were ads in awful places because I think the first PPV channel4 got was royal rumble 2000 and they it seems didn’t fully understand the product they were getting.

I’m curious where those of us watching in the summer of 2003 found out what Kane looked like without his mask. I found out the morning after hungover to **** in Spain in an internet place after having drank sangria till all hours with my cousins. Sangria was grand to drink but it was a bastard the morning after.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah 1:50am and there were ads in awful places because I think the first PPV channel4 got was royal rumble 2000 and they it seems didn’t fully understand the product they were getting.

I’m curious where those of us watching in the summer of 2003 found out what Kane looked like without his mask. I found out the morning after hungover to **** in Spain in an internet place after having drank sangria till all hours with my cousins. Sangria was grand to drink but it was a bastard the morning after.

I remember seeing the photo on the .com site before seeing the actual footage on raw.

Anyone else read rajahwwf.com religiously?

Advertisement