Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,029 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I remember seeing the photo on the .com site before seeing the actual footage on raw.

Anyone else read rajahwwf.com religiously?

I wasn’t reading it no. They had a video on the site though which I did watch. At the time it was underwhelming but in hindsight and 18 years to think about it, given that glen jacobs obviously wasn’t disfigured as wwe had us believe Kane was and wwe isn’t and wasn’t known doing that stuff well, I’m not sure what people expected. Kane himself has said he felt he had to take the mask off because after five years he’d come to the end of what he could do with the mask on, but I think he lost something without it. I did like his matches with Shane McMahon at survivor series in 2003. They had an ambulance match that didn’t feel rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭briany

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wasn’t reading it no. They had a video on the site though which I did watch. At the time it was underwhelming but in hindsight and 18 years to think about it, given that glen jacobs obviously wasn’t disfigured as wwe had us believe Kane was and wwe isn’t and wasn’t known doing that stuff well, I’m not sure what people expected. Kane himself has said he felt he had to take the mask off because after five years he’d come to the end of what he could do with the mask on, but I think he lost something without it. I did like his matches with Shane McMahon at survivor series in 2003. They had an ambulance match that didn’t feel rubbish.

Kane definitely lost his mystique but I basically agree that the mask had to go. Over time they'd chipped away at the original concept by exposing more of his supposedly burned body and letting him speak so by 2003 he was no longer this silent monster. Taking off the mask and rebooting him as a psychopath probably saved his whole run in the company.

briany wrote: »
    Kane definitely lost his mystique but I basically agree that the mask had to go. Over time they'd chipped away at the original concept by exposing more of his supposedly burned body and letting him speak so by 2003 he was no longer this silent monster. Taking off the mask and rebooting him as a psychopath probably saved his whole run in the company.

It was the same with the undertaker when he went away and came back as the American bad ass and the big evil taker. The dead zombie undertaker had worked for nearly a decade and yes he updated it to the ministry version(I love that theme song he used btw) he needed to rest the lord of darkness version. I know many people didn’t like the ABA but the old wrestling adage of “how can I miss you if you won’t go away” comes to mind. I personally know I was excited to see taker return at wrestle mania XX in New York because that version had been gone for a few years. I mean because he changed he got 16 years more out of the deadman version.

It was the same with the undertaker when he went away and came back as the American bad ass and the big evil taker. The dead zombie undertaker had worked for nearly a decade and yes he updated it to the ministry version(I love that theme song he used btw) he needed to rest the lord of darkness version. I know many people didn’t like the ABA but the old wrestling adage of “how can I miss you if you won’t go away” comes to mind. I personally know I was excited to see taker return at wrestle mania XX in New York because that version had been gone for a few years. I mean because he changed he got 16 years more out of the deadman version.

He was only the proper dead zombie Taker for about 4 years. By 1998 he was a totally different beast and already hinting at the transition to ABA and Big Evil that would come a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The voice box thing for Kane was particularly strange

• Advertisement

The voice box thing for Kane was particularly strange

IF. I. DO. NOT. WIN. THE. TITLE...

I. WILL....

SET. MYSELF. ON. FIRE....

I liked the voice box. It was really creepy.

IF. I. DO. NOT. WIN. THE. TITLE...

I. WILL....

SET. MYSELF. ON. FIRE....

I liked the voice box. It was really creepy.

Yeah I liked the voice box. It was different and fit the Kane character. That’s the one great thing about the network is being able to rewatch all the stuff you used to watch growing up.

Sorry I meant going from the voice box to being able to speak without it.

Was that around the time xpac broke his heart by stealing Tori? (I just Googled and she is 56 now, wow)

Sorry I meant going from the voice box to being able to speak without it.

Was that around the time xpac broke his heart by stealing Tori? (I just Googled and she is 56 now, wow)

I think he’d spoken without it before that tori and X pac storyline. Sure X PAC isn’t even fifty yet and he was in wwe at time when hulk Hogan had just finished with wwe for the first time and he had a match on the early raws against the million dollar man. I know that points to him starting very young in the business but still that’s nuts to think of the era he came into wwe at.

I think he’d spoken without it before that tori and X pac storyline. Sure X PAC isn’t even fifty yet and he was in wwe at time when hulk Hogan had just finished with wwe for the first time and he had a match on the early raws against the million dollar man. I know that points to him starting very young in the business but still that’s nuts to think of the era he came into wwe at.

Wasn't his first match when he beat Razor or was that just his first win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Had to check that up.
    It appears the razor match was his 3rd WWF match. Simply known as 'the kid'

His other two matches took place on the previous two RAWS. Where he was known as kamikaze kid and then the cannonball kid. He lost both.

As BA correctly points out it was his first win. That’s one of my earliest memories from Monday night raw is him beating razor. It’s also weird to think that the hardys(well more so Matt) were doing jobs on wwe TV for a few years prior to them being a team. I think it was 1994 were he started doing them including one for Owen hart. Imagine being a job guy taking bumps on those mid 1990s hard as concrete rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm a bit surprised the WWE haven't introduced a Women's IC & US Championships for full belt equality.

Also need a Queen of the Ring tournament.

I'm a bit surprised the WWE haven't introduced a Women's IC & US Championships for full belt equality.

I haven't watched properly in a couple of years but is the female talent there to have so many titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But we already have a Queen. And an Empress. And a Goddess. And a Boss. And a Man. And God's Greatest Creation. And a Princess. And a Role Model. Oh, and another Queen (of Spades).

They really need to stop

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But we already have a Queen. And an Empress. And a Goddess. And a Boss. And a Man. And God's Greatest Creation. And a Princess. And a Role Model. Oh, and another Queen (of Spades).

They really need to stop

And don’t forget Stephanie McMahon who we all know single handedly created the ENTIRE women’s wrestling scene from scratch and on the seventh day she rested...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

They really need to stop

Absolutely. The tag titles have been a disaster for the ladies and Some sort of mid title would be such a better idea and tool to elevate stars. Makes no sense when 1. Wwe don’t care about tag wrestling and 2. There aren’t enough female superstars to make it a worthwhile endeavour

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Absolutely. The tag titles have been a disaster for the ladies and Some sort of mid title would be such a better idea and tool to elevate stars. Makes no sense when 1. Wwe don’t care about tag wrestling and 2. There aren’t enough female superstars to make it a worthwhile endeavour

And to make it worse they are introducing NXT women’s tag titles this week.

I was looking at the WWE alumni section the other day and clicked onto current champions. There is 16 champions across WWE and NXT (20 if you count NXT UK). Far too many and why titles mean nothing these days in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They really need to stop

Why stop there? They could have a Duchess, a Baroness, a Countess, a Viscountess, a Princess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,475 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Princess Paula Fit's ex wife and is Fit body checking Haystacks was at that show I remember seeing them tour many times as a kid.

Haystacks as Loch Ness in WCW standing face to face with Andre

iNSJ9j5.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

22 years ago tonight, Kurt Angle made his WWF debut on Sunday Night Heat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

AEW is the best thing to happen to wrestling in decades but the worst thing to happen to PW Boards.

Loughc wrote: »
    AEW is the best thing to happen to wrestling in decades but the worst thing to happen to PW Boards.

You think it's bad now, could you imagine if PW Boards had been around during the Monday Night Wars :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You think it's bad now, could you imagine if PW Boards had been around during the Monday Night Wars :pac:

It would be like the PlayStation versus XBox arguments back in the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »

Most of us should want both to succeed. A successful AEW, especially if the ever get to WWEs level, will only cause WWE to hopefully change their practices.

WWE has been in decline for years for many reasons. From over saturation of their product, to misuse of talent, to over production, to the soulless presentation , to most recently the absence of fans (not their fault but it damages the product)....... the product has been going serious down hill to the point its a choir to watch.

AEW at least is doing things differently than WWE, they are not perfect but they do alot right. They have been giving me what I want from wrestling. Its produced well for the most part, they have been building stars (something WWE rarely do these days), they havent been dumbing down the product and they have a very talented roster.

I want WWE to succeed, but AEW has been the alternative wrestling has sorely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Haystacks as Loch Ness in WCW standing face to face with Andre

A decent photoshop attempt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Nal wrote: »
    A decent photoshop attempt.

Well spotted. Looks like it's from this face-off with the Big Show.

loch-ness-giant.jpg

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Most of us should want both to succeed. A successful AEW, especially if the ever get to WWEs level, will only cause WWE to hopefully change their practices.

WWE has been in decline for years for many reasons. From over saturation of their product, to misuse of talent, to over production, to the soulless presentation , to most recently the absence of fans (not their fault but it damages the product)....... the product has been going serious down hill to the point its a choir to watch.

AEW at least is doing things differently than WWE, they are not perfect but they do alot right. They have been giving me what I want from wrestling. Its produced well for the most part, they have been building stars (something WWE rarely do these days), they havent been dumbing down the product and they have a very talented roster.

I want WWE to succeed, but AEW has been the alternative wrestling has sorely needed.

I'm with you on wanting WWE to succeed, but I think we can forget about WWE ever being competitive again, even with AEW on the scene. Their simply now relying/coasting by on fans nostalgia and TV deals cash to keep going. Though they could just as easily arrest the rot that has slowly set in, if they chose to do so, they certainly have the financial means along with the most loaded roster at their disposal, not exactly searching for loose change behind the couch either, ultimately it all comes down to the whims of man, Vince has lost that spark, that scheming attitude that ultimately him his fortune.

But it's beating a dead horse at this stage.

Advertisement