Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well spotted. Looks like it's from this face-off with the Big Show.

It was yeah. Andre was dead then. He never wrestled in WCW anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

How long will it take for someone in WWE to get a dig in on the exploding barb wired death match? Knob end Rollins surely won't be able to resist during one of his heel promos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

How long will it take for someone in WWE to get a dig in on the exploding barb wired death match? Knob end Rollins surely won't be able to resist during one of his heel promos.

TBar already got there on Twitter.

Moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Shotzi and Teabag have already poked fun at it.

Don't see why Rollins would be a knob end anyway if he did. It was laughable. Also, turnabout is fair play. I remember Omega taking the piss out of Rollins when he dick pics leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

Seems weird that people are saying WWE aren't entitled to take some digs back. AEW literally poke fun at WWE all the time, hell they just had a "Brass Ring" Ladder match. Turnabout is fairplay, it's all just fun jabs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Anyone who gets butthurt at a wrestler or company getting a dig in at a competitor is thin skinned. The literal brass ring last night cracked me up.

Anyone who gets butthurt at a wrestler or company getting a dig in at a competitor is thin skinned. The literal brass ring last night cracked me up.

Im sure Sonic liked it. It looked silly IMO.

I hate the point scoring by wrestling companies. Like Tbar giving it all that when his house is made of glass.... like its just so low bar.

Same goes to AEW when the Twitch issue came around. Im just not a fan of the laughing competitors mishaps.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im sure Sonic liked it. It looked silly IMO.

I hate the point scoring by wrestling companies. Like Tbar giving it all that when his house is made of glass.... like its just so low bar.

Same goes to AEW when the Twitch issue came around. Im just not a fan of the laughing competitors mishaps.

Honestly I've no trouble with a subtle dig, it pops the audience of the respective fanbases and can be funny. Like the Monday Night War was full of it.

Honestly I've no trouble with a subtle dig, it pops the audience of the respective fanbases and can be funny. Like the Monday Night War was full of it.

From WWEs POV , considering they have such a crappy product lately, its like Harvey Weinstein laughing at someone whos been acused of sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Shotzi and Teabag have already poked fun at it.

Don't see why Rollins would be a knob end anyway if he did. It was laughable. Also, turnabout is fair play. I remember Omega taking the piss out of Rollins when he dick pics leaked.

A1 to Shotzi I laughed hard at that. You want to talk about thin skinned just look at the comments from all the outraged plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have a theory...

So Christian comes back at the Rumble and then WWE has nothing for him after (Same as Carlito)
    But last week it was reported that WWE does not want to hire anyone over 30 anymore unless they are a name / TV ready. Now ... accordingly this happened as WWE realised that only 2 wrestlers in the men's royal rumble this year were under 30 while 16 where over 40.

It would appear WWE being conscious of hiring older talent may have been the reason why Christian was not offered another deal and free to go to AEW.

Thoughts?

I have a theory...

So Christian comes back at the Rumble and then WWE has nothing for him after (Same as Carlito)
    But last week it was reported that WWE does not want to hire anyone over 30 anymore unless they are a name / TV ready. Now ... accordingly this happened as WWE realised that only 2 wrestlers in the men's royal rumble this year were under 30 while 16 where over 40.

It would appear WWE being conscious of hiring older talent may have been the reason why Christian was not offered another deal and free to go to AEW.

Thoughts?

It's a no for me. They just hired Eli Drake. Nobody can tell me Drake has more name value to WWE than Christian.

It's a no for me. They just hired Eli Drake. Nobody can tell me Drake has more name value to WWE than Christian.

I get what you are saying but Eli Drake is only 38. Can go for the next ten years say? Christian is 47 (48 in November). I mean if WWE got 5 years out of him he would be 52/53.

I get what you are saying but Eli Drake is only 38. Can go for the next ten years say? Christian is 47 (48 in November). I mean if WWE got 5 years out of him he would be 52/53.

Well their cut off is 30 and Christian was just in the final 4 of the Royal Rumble and his long time partner is the same age and main eventing Wrestlemania. Honestly I don't think that's it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus never knew he was that old

Imagine if AEW got lucky and Edge returned for them instead, didn't they approach him before he the rumble last year ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus never knew he was that old

Imagine if AEW got lucky and Edge returned for them instead, didn't they approach him before he the rumble last year ?

Edge got the WWE deal because of the AEW approach and he told them about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd say with a guy like Christian it could just as easily be WWE telling him "were going to bring you back and have you turn cowardly heel on Edge (cause that's the only role we ever see for you)" versus AEW actually having something for him, 2005 again all over basically

Well their cut off is 30 and Christian was just in the final 4 of the Royal Rumble and his long time partner is the same age and main eventing Wrestlemania. Honestly I don't think that's it at all.

Here's the thing tho, edge is edge. Bonafide star in their eyes. He sold a lot of merch and put a lot of asses in seats. No offense to Christan, I like the chap, but he's a top mid card at best.

And (again according to reports) 16 men of the rumble entrants were over the age of 40 this year.
    Then shortly after WWE returns the mandate of only sign under 30s (unless someone is a name and TV ready) this much is reported.

Then they don't offer Christian any more work and he could have been incorporated in some way with edge's match at mania. To me that just sounds like trying to pull back on the old blood.

Here's the thing tho, edge is edge. Bonafide star in their eyes. He sold a lot of merch and put a lot of asses in seats. No offense to Christan, I like the chap, but he's a top mid card at best.

And (again according to reports) 16 men of the rumble entrants were over the age of 40 this year.
    Then shortly after WWE returns the mandate of only sign under 30s (unless someone is a name and TV ready) this much is reported.

Then they don't offer Christian any more work and he could have been incorporated in some way with edge's match at mania. To me that just sounds like trying to pull back on the old blood.

Maybe that's true, I'll just say that even though Edge was always the more pushed act of the two in WWE, Christian bumped his quarters significantly in his recent appearances and Edge doesn't. If I know that, they know that.

And ye I agree they need to lower the age of the roster, though it's less than 2 months ago he got a big spot in the Rumble and was in the last 4. They don't do that unless they've got plans for the guy in the future. Plus with Edge's push you've got loads of built in stories with Christian there. I'd honestly be shocked if they didn't offer him a deal, especially knowing AEW were always going to pick him up if free. They sign far less talented guys with infinitely less name value than Christian to keep them away from AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

In kayfabe is there any reason why someone would set up a ladder bridge?
    I know it might be to slam someone onto a ladder but half the time it seems like people just plop the ladder there and forget about it.

• Advertisement

Brian Cage is a guy that would be in Vince Mcmahon's dreams im surprised wwe never went for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Brian Cage is a guy that would be in Vince Mcmahon's dreams im surprised wwe never went for him

That man is a walking wellness violation. Taz and Excalibur even joke about it on Dark.

Those Deathmatches are both brutal and mental, how the participants love the pain is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Both Asuka and Io Shirai have held their Women's Champions roughly the same amount of time, yet Io's reign feels more legitimate than Asuka's reign. Vince has really messed up Asuka. Once she loses the title it won't feel all that significant. Especially if she loses it to Charlotte.

Just watched a clip from a Justin Credible shoot on YouTube. Talks about some interesting things from his WWF run in the mid 90s being Aldo Montoya.

- While apart of the cliq and the 'newer member' with 'less power' of the bunch he did receive a lot of heat for it but was protected (shark infested locker room)

- Says you really had to pick a side as if you didn't have allies you had enemies pretty much.

- He was invited to go out to join Hall, Nash, Michaels and Triple H in Madison Square Garden curtain call incident but was told he'd never survivor this if he went out there. Says himself that he had no bargaining power. He was just Aldo Montoya the jobber. It would have been akin to him handing in his notice.

- On being in the cliq, he thought it was cool at the start. He always wanted more and honestly thought they (other members) would help him achieve more in wrestling... But to quote him "At the end of the day, quite frankly, none of them did anything for me. It was more of a facade in the wrestling business, and I'm not saying anything negative about any of those guys, the closet I am to now is probably Sean Waltman"

Interesting shoot.
    The cliq being called a 'facade' is a great term. Even Nash says about Michaels "sure we were friends but he would try and blow me up cause he wants the title (spot) too" (trying to make Nash look bad)
    So while Credible (and Nash) says sure they were all friends I always got the impression that friendship wasnt too deep in reality ;) More of a self-preservation based on circumstance. All out for themselves tho. But hey that's rasslin' baby (one may even say life!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I’d consider Credible a quasi member or associate of the kliq more than a full blown card carrying member. Think Sid has been mentioned in the same vain as this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Omackeral wrote: »
    I’d consider Credible a quasi member or associate of the kliq more than a full blown card carrying member. Think Sid has been mentioned in the same vain as this too.

Was thinking that myself. The Kliq never seem acknowledge Justin Credible. You'll never see him at one of their little reunions or hanging out with them or anything. Never a mention or anything.

That being said, I remember a story about Scott Hall when he made an appearance at ECW. He got into an altercation Shane Douglas, Chris Candido, and Bam Bam Bigelow backstage, and the confrontation led to him leaving the show. It was Justin Credible who brought Scott Hall with him to that ECW show.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself. The Kliq never seem acknowledge Justin Credible. You'll never see him at one of their little reunions or hanging out with them or anything. Never a mention or anything.

That being said, I remember a story about Scott Hall when he made an appearance at ECW. He got into an altercation Shane Douglas, Chris Candido, and Bam Bam Bigelow backstage, and the confrontation led to him leaving the show. It was Justin Credible who brought Scott Hall with him to that ECW show.

Interesting. One could assume it stemmed from heat back in WWF 1995 as all men were there at that point. Douglas has said many times he hated everyone in the cliq and am pretty sure bam said the same in shoot years ago.

I loved WWF back in 95' as a kid. Great era. Michaels, Razor, Diesel etc all great I thought. But the more I have heard about their antics at the time the more they come off as a bunch of as*holes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Nxt UK is a very easy watch.

The Hertitage Cup is a nice change of pace.

The wrestling style is a style I enjoy, most moves seem logical and make sense.

Commentary insightful and excitable.

Just watched an Eddie Denis Promo that was all kinds of weird and wonderful. Same with A Galus promo in a snooker Hall.

Nice roster mixed of singles and tag teams

It helps when Walter is your champion. The ultimate boss.

Just an easy watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Can't recommend highly enough the WON 1993 & 1997 Yearbooks. The variety of subjects covered in them and the detail in which every story is covered is staggering

Advertisement