Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Early concept art of Kane's design. I wonder if they still do this kinda stuff for characters...

y4x220998hn61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

J. Marston wrote: »
    Early concept art of Kane's design. I wonder if they still do this kinda stuff for characters...

y4x220998hn61.jpg

That would of been amazing but no complaints about what the design materised in. Early 2000s Kane FTW he was the complete monster

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

19 years ago hulk hogan and the rock faced off at wrestle mania 18 in Toronto, Canada. The crowd was great in that match.

We had the Austin vs Scott hall match which Austin seems to have a serious dislike of going on his comments about the match since.

We had a main event which was overshadowed by the rock vs hogan match and they had that triple H quad subplot going into the match which nobody believed was real and then you had triple H beat Jericho. I also remember that Stephanie wore the outfit she wore because wasn’t there a rumour that fans were going to jump the rail and strip her ?

We had the undertaker vs flair match which included a perfect AA spine buster.

We had the hardcore match which started in the ring and then became a running storyline throughout the show.

We had the match between Edge and Booker T over ****ing shampoo.

We had another multi team tag title match and we had a women triple threat match.

I’ve never liked how the stage looked at this event. It looked unfinished and instead of normal promo videos we had a band play live to the crowd over videos playing on the tron that we the audience at home couldn’t see clearly.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    19 years ago hulk hogan and the rock faced off at wrestle mania 18 in Toronto, Canada. The crowd was great in that match.

We had the Austin vs Scott hall match which Austin seems to have a serious dislike of going on his comments about the match since.

We had a main event which was overshadowed by the rock vs hogan match and they had that triple H quad subplot going into the match which nobody believed was real and then you had triple H beat Jericho. I also remember that Stephanie wore the outfit she wore because wasn’t there a rumour that fans were going to jump the rail and strip her ?

We had the undertaker vs flair match which included a perfect AA spine buster.

We had the hardcore match which started in the ring and then became a running storyline throughout the show.

We had the match between Edge and Booker T over ****ing shampoo.

We had another multi team tag title match and we had a women triple threat match.

I’ve never liked how the stage looked at this event. It looked unfinished and instead of normal promo videos we had a band play live to the crowd over videos playing on the tron that we the audience at home couldn’t see clearly.

One of the few PPVs I stayed up for live during that era. I was off school the next day because of Paddys day. Rock Hogan should have always went on last.

I remember seeing a HHH interview (around Evolution era, talking about this mania) saying the world title should always go on last and that's what he told Vince that night. Fast forward a few years later and he gives an interview saying him and Jericho were pleading with Vince to make Rock Hogan the main event that night. He's so full of ****.

One of the few PPVs I stayed up for live during that era. I was off school the next day because of Paddys day. Rock Hogan should have always went on last.

I remember seeing a HHH interview (around Evolution era, talking about this mania) saying the world title should always go on last and that's what he told Vince that night. Fast forward a few years later and he gives an interview saying him and Jericho were pleading with Vince to make Rock Hogan the main event that night. He's so full of ****.

A wrestler is fuller than a Christmas turkey ? Imagine that. It’s par for the course. I know Jim Cornette is an acquired taste around here but when he does his deep dives and brings out the records it’s amazing that a pro wrestling personality isn’t bull ****ting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

J. Marston wrote: »

That's a very good question actually.
    Only my opinion, but I would be thinking they don't. Not to that that level of concept art.
    Most guys just have gear these days anyway not characters like that (if that makes sense?)
    So a lot of art would just be the gear. Which is more graphic design of the gear.

Bray Wyatt probably got the full concept art in recent times tho.
    That said, most top wrestlers wrestlemania gear would surely have the same level of concept art.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but I have zero interest in Drew Mcintyre and never have.

I can't really explain why, the guy just does nothing for me in the ring or on the mic, particularly the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but I have zero interest in Drew Mcintyre and never have.

I can't really explain why, the guy just does nothing for me in the ring or on the mic, particularly the latter.

He's a lot of things going for him, though honestly I've always had doubts about his charisma or ability to connect with the audience at that level required.

But, and I swear this is true, even a prime Stone Cold Steve Austin couldn't get over to a significant difference making level in the current WWE setup. It's impossible, so I really can't kill McIntyre over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He's a lot of things going for him, though honestly I've always had doubts about his charisma or ability to connect with the audience at that level required.

But, and I swear this is true, even a prime Stone Cold Steve Austin couldn't get over to a significant difference making level in the current WWE setup. It's impossible, so I really can't kill McIntyre over it.

I think hes done very well considering the state of WWE. Hes carrying the company in an era of no fans, in an environment so soulless and sterile that few get truly over.

He does the best he can with whats in front of him and does it all enthusiastically and to a decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheLocalMan

I find him incredibly boring. And the kilt thing is getting old now. We know Vince has a hard on for the Celtic stuff, We get it. And he's gonna beat Big Bob at Mania and it'll be such ****.

• Advertisement

I find him incredibly boring. And the kilt thing is getting old now. We know Vince has a hard on for the Celtic stuff, We get it. And he's gonna beat Big Bob at Mania and it'll be such ****.

See the kilt and the sword annoy me. He didnt need them to get over, it doesnt make him any more impressive, nor does it aid his presentation. If anything it makes him more cartoonish.

Maybe it helps with the younger audience, not with me sadly.

Its also really kind of patronizing. Not every Scotsman wears a bloody kilt. it's like having the red phone boxes and black cabs. Americans like to boil down nationalities to their most basic parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Friday next week March 26th will be the 20th anniversary of the last WCW Nitro and the WWF taking over the company.

Where does time go.

Friday next week March 26th will be the 20th anniversary of the last WCW Nitro and the WWF taking over the company.

Where does time go.

Jesus. “The contract does say McMahon, but it says Shane McMahon.” I wonder will Jeff Jarrett and Vince reminisce about how Vince basically told him on live TV on two networks that he was fired ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus. “The contract does say McMahon, but it says Shane McMahon.” I wonder will Jeff Jarrett and Vince reminisce about how Vince basically told him on live TV on two networks that he was fired ?

Making it into another McMahon Vs McMahon feud (and adding Stephanie with ECW :rolleyes: ) was so **** after having McMahon feuds for the best part of 2 years prior.

Making it into another McMahon Vs McMahon feud (and adding Stephanie with ECW :rolleyes: ) was so **** after having McMahon feuds for the best part of 2 years prior.

Well sure they couldn’t have not had the McMahons front and centre but yeah the invasion angle started off okay and by survivor series I remember not caring but I did watch and record it on vhs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder if Triple H wasn't injured how different the invasion storyline would of been. Couldn't be any worse though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

McIntyre is a snooze fest, his matches, kilts, promos and swords do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Been all downhill from there.

Just watched something on WrestleTalk YouTube about Shane McMahon and it's true.
    Like there he is a 51 year old man trying to be cool (dancing, wearing sneakers etc) but more so mental is that he is being booked as a legitimate threat to Braun Strowman.

He's not being booked as an old man going up against this monster. He's being presented that Braun better watch out.

• Advertisement

Just watched something on WrestleTalk YouTube about Shane McMahon and it's true.
    Like there he is a 51 year old man trying to be cool (dancing, wearing sneakers etc) but more so mental is that he is being booked as a legitimate threat to Braun Strowman.

He's not being booked as an old man going up against this monster. He's being presented that Braun better watch out.

'Hes no ordinary man.... he is a McMahon dammit'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beakerjoe wrote: »
    'Hes no ordinary man.... he is a McMahon dammit'

The best in the world.....

The Nal wrote: »
    Been all downhill from there.

I would actually agree to that :)
    WCW and ECW closing hurt wrestling. But everyone (myself included) thought that when WWE bought WCW it should have been the greatest wrestling angle of all time. Talk about a damp squib.

The proverbial rocket was in the stratosphere as wrestling was white hot and the purchase of WCW was unreal. Then it was just a slow decent. No more fuel.
    I remember I had to watch Raw every week but by mid-2002 it felt a chore. By 2005 I would miss various episodes. That's not to say there wasnt any good moments but WWE was no way near the same.

ECW revival ppvs werent too bad (by wwe's standards) but then the ecw brand was a let down on sci-fi.
    2009 wasnt a bad year if I remember correctly but it was plagued by triple h vs orton so much.

I could probably go on but none the less here we are with todays WWE product and it's boring. I struggle to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I would actually agree to that :)
    WCW and ECW closing hurt wrestling. But everyone (myself included) thought that when WWE bought WCW it should have been the greatest wrestling angle of all time. Talk about a damp squib.

The proverbial rocket was in the stratosphere as wrestling was white hot and the purchase of WCW was unreal. Then it was just a slow decent. No more fuel.
    I remember I had to watch Raw every week but by mid-2002 it felt a chore. By 2005 I would miss various episodes. That's not to say there wasnt any good moments but WWE was no way near the same.

ECW revival ppvs werent too bad (by wwe's standards) but then the ecw brand was a let down on sci-fi.
    2009 wasnt a bad year if I remember correctly but it was plagued by triple h vs orton so much.

I could probably go on but none the less here we are with todays WWE product and it's boring. I struggle to watch it.

I've stopped watching entirely the past 12 months. Finally unsubbed to the Network during the week as well.

I watched WWE on and off from the early 90s up to 92, then pretty much full time from 95 up to last year. I don't miss it either. Far too much of an Entertainment company these days for my liking.

Just more on the invasion.

They should have waited until 2002 to do it (they did a brand split then anyway) when they had the likes of Bischoff, Flair, Hogan, Nash etc signed (Steiner and Goldberg would follow as well). Somehow in storyline Bischoff gets control of WCW again and turns Smackdown into Nitro or something. Would have felt more like a proper WCW Vs WWF feud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just more on the invasion.

They should have waited until 2002 to do it (they did a brand split then anyway) when they had the likes of Bischoff, Flair, Hogan, Nash etc signed (Steiner and Goldberg would follow as well). Somehow in storyline Bischoff gets control of WCW again and turns Smackdown into Nitro or something. Would have felt more like a proper WCW Vs WWF feud.

Yeah I've recently been watching that whole timeframe and their impatience to rush things without the bigger names (Ironically, Hogan Nash and Hall signed in January after the Invasion was over, Flair was literally a couple of weeks afterwards).

Even with those 4 guys headlining the WCW side it would have been so much better.

Kurt Angle as an eg. Got over MASSIVE with the fans going up against Austin then they suddenly... turn him to join the Alliance out of nowhere because they had no stars on that side.

Benoit and Triple H being injured hurt them too, and they were pushing Rhyno massively before he also went down to a neck injury.

It should have been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Seeing both Edge and Christian back on active rosters is so strange to me as only a couple of years ago these guys were doing their podcast analysing the business and they seemed happy to do it.

It just goes to show the effect WWE being the only game in town had on so many people. If they told you that you were done, all you could do is agree and take the paycheck as a legend and be thankful.

Such an awesome thing AEW have been for the business for this alone.

Seeing both Edge and Christian back on active rosters is so strange to me as only a couple of years ago these guys were doing their podcast analysing the business and they seemed happy to do it.

It just goes to show the effect WWE being the only game in town had on so many people. If they told you that you were done, all you could do is agree and take the paycheck as a legend and be thankful.

Such an awesome thing AEW have been for the business for this alone.

They were done though. Both were retired. Its not like AEW came out of nowhere and Edge's neck suddenly healed or Christian's brain suddenly repaired itself.

Necro wrote: »
    .... It should have been so much better.

Absolutely.
    I have never heard anyone praise the invasion angle. In fact, quite the opposite as i know a few people who have said they stopped watching WWE / wrestling shortly after the angle. Mental.

• Advertisement

The March 21st, 2014 episode of smackdown is currently playing on the network live channel and there was a four team no1 contenders match to face the usos at a later date. Anyway that’s not important. I was looking at the guys in the ring and other and doing a count to see where they all where since the nearly seven years since.

The teams are the shield, 3MB(mahal,McIntyre, and slater), the real Americans(swagger and Cesaro), and Ryback and Curtis axel for the record.

So the shield all become worlds champ and two of the three are still with wwe. Shockingly two of the three members of 3MB became world champion and bar slater who held on for years in gone. The real Americans, Cesaro is still there but not being used how he should and swagger is in AEW. And then we have Ryback who as far as I know isn’t in wrestling and is ranting to anyone who will listen about anything, and Curtis axel had a nice run but is no longer with the company.

It’s interesting to see what’s happened and who got a push and who didn’t work out.

Edit: the match on now was del Rio vs big E. you Have a genuinely nice guy who you never hear a bad word against and then you’ve del Rio.

Advertisement