Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d known about the Macho Man, Steph rumours for as long as I can remember however I’m only just reading that Bruce Prichard might have slept with a young Steph as well.

Say what now ? Where is this coming from because that’s something I’ve never heard of ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jerry Lawlor said in a shoot back 20 years ago I just stumbled across it this evening.

Jerry Lawlor said in a shoot back 20 years ago I just stumbled across it this evening.

Okay. Well I assume it was denied.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay. Well I assume it was denied.

Prichard denied it last year when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Throwing this out there.

WWE are playing with fire with the Alexa stuff. As it is, WWE's female roster inherits basically the worst type of fan (stan) you can possibly imagine basically the moment they hit main roster screens. The portrayal of Bliss as a child has been dodge enough, the sexualised nature of it even more dodge and then they did thar pin last night. You just need to go look in Alexa's Twitter replies to see what we're dealing with here. In recent times the stuff that the female roster have had to deal with from that section of the audience could've been even worse than it worse (which was bad) but with the current Bliss stuff I honestly think they're walking on real dangerous ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Throwing this out there.

WWE are playing with fire with the Alexa stuff. As it is, WWE's female roster inherits basically the worst type of fan (stan) you can possibly imagine basically the moment they hit main roster screens. The portrayal of Bliss as a child has been dodge enough, the sexualised nature of it even more dodge and then they did thar pin last night. You just need to go look in Alexa's Twitter replies to see what we're dealing with here. In recent times the stuff that the female roster have had to deal with from that section of the audience could've been even worse than it worse (which was bad) but with the current Bliss stuff I honestly think they're walking on real dangerous ground.

The angle is shìte but what a load of reaching twaddle. She could be dressed as a binman and her replies would be still be filled with thirsty weirdos. WWE is the land where the corporate sponsor reigns and that type of stuff would make them run for the hills. She's a 30 year old woman.

Do you think AEW are walking on dangerous ground by parading an actual child, topless, every week?

J. Marston wrote: »
    The angle is shìte but what a load of reaching twaddle. She could be dressed as a binman and her replies would be still be filled with thirsty weirdos. WWE is the land where the corporate sponsor reigns and that type of stuff would make them run for the hills. She's a 30 year old woman.

Do you think AEW are walking on dangerous ground by parading an actual child, topless, every week?

Unless you've some hidden stories that you're gonna reveal here about actual attempted attacks on AEW kids by paedophiles could you you please not quote me with "whatabboutery"

And again, it's nothing but a thought that popped into my head off the back of seeing some reaction to the pin last night. And likely nothing will happen and hopefully nothing does happen. But if you think WWE haven't been presenting Bliss in a certain way to appeal to a certain kind of "fan" then your head is in the sand or you aren't watching. And personally my thoughts would be, coming so soon after the Deville stuff, I'd do everything I could to not appeal to that kind of fanbase because those people are scary as hell and instead WWE lean into it. It's not something I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Throwing this out there.

Pun intended?

Hasn't she pinned like that before? Maybe not a guy. I'm trying to think which woman pins her opponents suggestively. Can't even remember the promotion I saw it in

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Pun intended?

Hasn't she pinned like that before? Maybe not a guy. I'm trying to think which woman pins her opponents suggestively. Can't even remember the promotion I saw it in

Personally can't think of any off the top of my head. But the pin with the story and portrayal of the character is supposed to have sexual overtones. My only point here is, for any company and particularly those that book female talent, is that Stan culture is a dangerous thing at that extreme level particularly, and, much like Speaking Out and merch table culture, it's an obvious area where you know in the future there's going to be trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What's merch table culture?

• Advertisement

Unless you've some hidden stories that you're gonna reveal here about actual attempted attacks on AEW kids by paedophiles could you you please not quote me with "whatabboutery"

And again, it's nothing but a thought that popped into my head off the back of seeing some reaction to the pin last night. And likely nothing will happen and hopefully nothing does happen. But if you think WWE haven't been presenting Bliss in a certain way to appeal to a certain kind of "fan" then your head is in the sand or you aren't watching. And personally my thoughts would be, coming so soon after the Deville stuff, I'd do everything I could to not appeal to that kind of fanbase because those people are scary as hell and instead WWE lean into it. It's not something I'd do.

I can't imagine that's a big lucrative viewership but you're the man with the charts and demographics, you tell me.

It's shít "horror" with Bliss being "friendly creepy" to contrast to The Fiend's......whatever it is. None of it lands. It's not nonce/predator bait.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I can't imagine that's a big lucrative viewership but you're the man with the charts and demographics, you tell me.

It's shít "horror" with Bliss being "friendly creepy" to contrast to The Fiend's......whatever it is. None of it lands. It's not nonce/predator bait.

I doubt it is a huge viewership market, at least I hope it isn't, but it's a feud and a portrayal of a character that is right up that particular base's alley.

I'd argue she's clearly presented as a child like figure throughout and it's not subtle. Nobody is saying "WWE going for the nonce audience" but presenting a character in that way in a story with sexual overtones is always going to bring it's own baggage with it.

What's merch table culture?

Really came to the fore in the early 2010's, it's wrestlers hanging out at the merch table, fans chatting to them thinking that the wrestler's are their friends because "hey, I've chatted to X, we're buds" usually they're just oblivious to the wrestler's goals of trying to sell them merch but, as we saw in Speaking Out, there were times where the end result was far worse than a fan handing over 20 dollars for a shirt. There's an online aspect to it too that's proved troubling.

You see it at every indie show you go to. It was one of those things I think we could all see was going to cause problems.

What's is to stop a wrestler Andrade turning up on AEW this week even with a 90 day none compete clause what can the WWE actually do to him, Brock took them to court and won when they threatened him over a no compete for other wrestling companies.

Do the WWE really want to end up in a court room where the independent contractor contract could actually be challenged in open court.

Or do they withhold final payments till the 90 days are up which I would hazard a guess is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are wrestling venues the last places in America to still use trash cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Throwing this out there.

The most sexually charged stuff I've witnessed the last while has been your comments about Andrade to be fair.

Sirsok wrote: »
    The most sexually charged stuff I've witnessed the last while has been your comments about Andrade to be fair.

Andrade is absolutely gorgeous of that there is no doubt. Though I've not got a weird stan account dedicated to him. Unless that's what my Board account becomes.

While I'm turning this into a stan account, stick me down for Akira Tozawa too. Topical because of the picture that went people are talking about coming out of Raw last night of the "geek" locker room. I'd give a limb to get Tozawa out of WWE and actually back to pro wrestling again. God damn imagine that guy working with the current Dragon Gate roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

While I'm turning this into a stan account, stick me down for Akira Tozawa too. Topical because of the picture that went people are talking about coming out of Raw last night of the "geek" locker room. I'd give a limb to get Tozawa out of WWE and actually back to pro wrestling again. God damn imagine that guy working with the current Dragon Gate roster.

Man Tozawa against Ishida or SBK would be sick. Get him off the entertainment show and back to pro-wrestling.

Man Tozawa against Ishida or SBK would be sick. Get him off the entertainment show and back to pro-wrestling.

I'm not wishing unemployment on anyone but man if I could pick one guy from the 80,000 wrestlers they have signed to get out of that company it would be Tozawa, he's got like a million fresh match ups available and they're all great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Something I've wondered while watching Stone Cold Steve Austin & Randy Orton shooting the breeze.

Why can't Randy be that as loose and charismatic on TV. Man has charisma to burn.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Something I've wondered while watching Stone Cold Steve Austin & Randy Orton shooting the breeze.

Why can't Randy be that as loose and charismatic on TV. Man has charisma to burn.

I was the same as I think he came across very well in the interview. I mean you only have watch upupdowndown and see that many of the wwe superstars of today are very charismatic off tv but aren’t given the chance to translate that to TV.

He can’t be that loose because as we know everything is scripted to within an inch of its life including promos. I’ve always like Randy orton because I think he’s just that good in the ring.

OSW review have the Ronda Rousey/Bully Ray Jocks watch. Have a look at QT Marshall in AEW! He'll beat the both of them, **** me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was the same as I think he came across very well in the interview. I mean you only have watch upupdowndown and see that many of the wwe superstars of today are very charismatic off tv but aren’t given the chance to translate that to TV.

He can’t be that loose because as we know everything is scripted to within an inch of its life including promos. I’ve always like Randy orton because I think he’s just that good in the ring.

He comes across really well, he's actually given me reason to reappraise my opinion of him. Definitely worthy of headlining his own Hall Of Fame class, whenever that day comes.

UpUpDownDown also a good example of talent just being allowed to be themselves.

It really is a shame that the company are so insistent on strangling any talent's personality with the everything scripted to within an inch of death routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone else noticed that Kenny Omega is modelling his look after Adam Sandler in 'That's my boy'
    adam_sandler.png

Twenty years ago tomorrow the last Monday nitro was broadcast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The upcoming mania card is prob the worst it’s been since Mania 27 if not ever. But man I cannot wait to see mania with fans again.

A starved mania crowd just be fired up. The wwe product is badly missing fans.

The fans could make it a great event even if the card is dirt. Will be so odd to see 20k+ for a wrestling event again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote: »
    The upcoming mania card is prob the worst it’s been since Mania 27 if not ever. But man I cannot wait to see mania with fans again.

I think I'm just hyped to see fans back alright - I've gone and taken a whole week off work too :D

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

The crowd will pop on a stiff lock up it’s been so long and I hope the wrestlers feed off what even a not full stadium will be full enough and it certainly helped the super bowl to have fans there.

Advertisement