Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The difference between Kofi on UpUpDownDown and on weekly TV, is drastically different.

Same to be said for any WWE star once the WWE Leash is taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Loughc wrote: »
    Same to be said for any WWE star once the WWE Leash is taken off.

I'll get back to this once Corbin appears. That's the real test :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I'll get back to this once Corbin appears. That's the real test :pac:.

doesnt he have a youtube channel with breeze and tye dillinger

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tomorrow is the twentieth anniversary of it being revealed that vince was the "higher power" on raw. I know at the time I remember thinking why vince was the higher power, but honestly in hindsight who else would the undertaker a "supernatural being" take orders from ? It's only a few storyline people and vince is one of them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the twentieth anniversary of it being revealed that vince was the "higher power" on raw. I know at the time I remember thinking why vince was the higher power, but honestly in hindsight who else would the undertaker a "supernatural being" take orders from ? It's only a few storyline people and vince is one of them.

And another iconic call from JR, Vince being a smug bastard, only for Stephanie and Linda to wreck his plans, and Austin becoming CEO of the company, those segments are such good ****..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Vince as the Higher Power was a great reveal and shocking moment but beyond that it was stupid and made zero sense. Honestly if it had happened in WCW people would mock it and point to it as another example of WCW stupidity but because it was Austin and McMahon it gets a pass

And another iconic call from JR, Vince being a smug bastard, only for Stephanie and Linda to wreck his plans, and Austin becoming CEO of the company, those segments are such good ****..
    I’ve been going through 1999 raws on the network and while the in ring product might have been a bit rough around the edges and not as good as today, the storyline hooks are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Honestly if it had happened in WCW people would mock it and point to it as another example of WCW stupidity but because it was Austin and McMahon it gets a pass

Also lead to one of the worst themes in WWF/E history imo

1999 was a pretty bad year at times. That years Mania was saved by its main event as the rest of the show was proper garbage. Also in 1999 you were "treated to":
    Mr. Ass winning KOTR, Vince winning the Royal Rumble, the forgotten mystery of who helped Shane & Vince beat Austin in the ladder match, a Terri Runnels miscarriage angle, Bluedust, the Kennel from Hell match, JR turning heel, Beaver Cleavage & the worst part was Owen's death.

In the months after Russo left you had the real emergence of talent like the Hardy's, Edge & Christian, the Dudleyz, Radicalz, Kurt Angle and Jericho. Which made the show far easier to watch even with the McMahon's still front and centre of a lot of rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I remember it feeling like a let down but even then, for 12 year old me it was difficult for me to contemplate how they could do a character even more supernatural than Taker without it being corny.

I remember reading stuff about it possibly being Jake the Snake and it just seemed awful to me so in hindsight, Vince making Stone Cold his bitch by making him drop his guard was genius.

I remember it feeling like a let down but even then, for 12 year old me it was difficult for me to contemplate how they could do a character even more supernatural than Taker without it being corny.

I remember reading stuff about it possibly being Jake the Snake and it just seemed awful to me so in hindsight, Vince making Stone Cold his bitch by making him drop his guard was genius.
    Well I mean Jake was high at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I remember at the time thinking the "It's me Austin! It was me all along..." line was stupid seeing as the cliffhanger from the previous Raw was the higher power revealing himself to Austin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was listening to the Cultaholic podcast and they were talking about the best wrestling themes. Much to my bemusement, this wasn't mentioned...

They don't make them like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Quite like Kozlov's theme mainly cause if you remove the lyrics it would be a good 16 bit side scrolling brawler soundtrack

the higher power segment from 20 years ago tonight.

And given that Raw was shown on a Friday night here in Ireland in the year 1999, at this time 20 years ago we all would have been reacting to this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ERG89 wrote: »

Quite like Kozlov's theme mainly cause if you remove the lyrics it would be a good 16 bit side scrolling brawler soundtrack

It's very Streets of Rage.

Always loved the boss theme at the end. Would strike fear into your 9 year old soul... and then your 33 year old soul when you got a Mega Drive for Xmas 2 years ago off your sister and have been strung out on ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Moxley can't work for sh1t.

There's a reason why he was placed at the bottom of the Shield, Rollins imo is a sublime talent who needs to be handled properly going forward. Roman is a big good looking dude who lacks charisma but can work like a champ.

Moxley can cut the odd good promo and that's it. He's extremely limited in the ring. He's not even an average worker, he's poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

There's a reason why he was placed at the bottom of the Shield, Rollins imo is a sublime talent who needs to be handled properly going forward. Roman is a big good looking dude who lacks charisma but can work like a champ.

Moxley can cut the odd good promo and that's it. He's extremely limited in the ring. He's not even an average worker, he's poor.

He just had a really good match against Juice in NJPW.

The WWE style is terrible because people are only allowed to do 5 moves and one of Dean's was The Wacky Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Becky/Edge "feud" today on Twitter is better than every feud currently in WWE. I wish stuff on TV was allowed to get that personal.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The Becky/Edge "feud" today on Twitter is better than every feud currently in WWE. I wish stuff on TV was allowed to get that personal.

It makes Becky come across as a bit of a tit if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wrestling is about more than just pure wrestling ability

If it was just about ability and technical prowess we'd have seen multiple Wrestlemania main events featuring Dean Malenko

If you don't care about the guys in the ring then none of it matters

In any case, we'll find out if Dean Ambrose was help back by the system and Jon Moxely is one hell of a wrestler when he goes through the G1, or he could be like CM Punk and a great showman with a clean but not great wrestling ability

Always thought of moxley been a good wrestler but excels when he is in hardcore or brawling type match

In ideal world, all professional wrestling fans get along with another, but ideal this world ain't.

I’m rewatching 1999 WWE and given that smack down wasn’t a thing yet in summer of 1999 I’m actually loving rewatching raw and the PPVs.

Seeing Coulson's last post in the non in ring diva's thread got me thinking in that they all looked like stock/pre-existing photos with the Pride theme added to them by someone using paint.

Just sums up how utterly soulless corporations are in using social and deeply personal issues to their benefit. I believe it was Stephanie who said philanthropy is the best marketing of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Seeing Coulson's last post in the non in ring diva's thread got me thinking in that they all looked like stock/pre-existing photos with the Pride theme added to them by someone using paint.

Just sums up how utterly soulless corporations are in using social and deeply personal issues to their benefit. I believe it was Stephanie who said philanthropy is the best marketing of today.

Dana Warrior tweeted supporting the LGBT... Oh and she posted a picture of herself in Warrior face paint to go with it. Nothing controversial about that whatsoever!
    Could say she has her own views, but why wear the gear?
    Can see it being deleted with all the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Undertaker feuded hard with Vince , was put into an inferno match with Kane, lit the teddy on fire, broke into his house, lit the crucifix on fire in Vince's garden, was put into a Hell in a Cell match with Bossman and hanged him, abducted Stephanie... It either made little sense having Undertaker feud so intensely with Vince or it was 4 dimensional chess level. I've never been sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't mind them using stock pictures.

What really sums up the company is they are just back after taking the Saudi money from the Country where women are second class citizens and the LGBTQ community still live in fear of their lives and under a real inhuman leadership and then Vince and Co have the nerve to promote Pride month.

The McMahon's higher power is the almighty $ and they will do anything to make it no matter how vile and disgusting it is.

I wouldn't mind them using stock pictures.

What really sums up the company is they are just back after taking the Saudi money from the Country where women are second class citizens and the LGBTQ community still live in fear of their lives and under a real inhuman leadership and then Vince and Co have the nerve to promote Pride month.

The McMahon's higher power is the almighty $ and they will do anything to make it no matter how vile and disgusting it is.

Like every company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Dana Warrior is getting a rough time of it on twitter with her LGBT Pride Post

Advertisement