Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

With Impact moving back to Thursdays there will be wrestling on 7 days a week. It'll be so much better when fans are back though (like discussed above)

Monday:
    WWE Raw
    AEW Elevation

Tuesday:
    WWE NXT
    AEW Dark
    NWA Power

Wednesday:
    AEW Dynamite

Thursday:
    Impact Wrestling
    WWE NXT UK

Friday:
    WWE Smackdown
    NJPW

Saturday:
    MLW Fusion

Sunday:
    Ring Of Honor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

WWE did a top 50 of the top women in WWE history. Top 10 is...

10. Bayley

9. Ronda

8. Lita

7. Alundra Blayze

6. Sasha

5. Asuka

4. Chyna

3. Becky

2. Charlotte

1. Trish

I think most would swap Becky and Charlotte but otherwise, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

J. Marston wrote: »

I wouldn't. Id swap Trish and Charlotte. Chyna near the top of the list too.

Charlotte and Chyna are head and shoulders the best female wrestlers ever. Becky is a bit cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WWE did a top 50 of the top women in WWE history. Top 10 is...

10. Bayley

9. Ronda

8. Lita

7. Alundra Blayze

6. Sasha

5. Asuka

4. Chyna

3. Becky

2. Charlotte

1. Trish

Ronda brought the womens division up several notches, she should be higher than the like of Banks and Asuka. There would be no Mania main event without her.

I like both Asuka and Banks, but they havent been booked like stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

These lists are never not dodge.

If you're ranking it in terms of drawing power then Ronda Rousey is unquestionably number 1.

If you're doing it based purely on bell to bell wrestling then number 1 is Sasha Banks.

If you're doing it on legacy it's probably Becky Lynch.

If you're doing a combination of all 3 things it's most likely Sasha.

But they romanticize the Trish run and the "best WWE women's wrestler" legacy is basically part of her gimmick these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

The Nal wrote: »

Charlotte and Chyna are head and shoulders the best female wrestlers ever. Becky is a bit cringe.

My thoughts exactly, not that i dont like Trish or Becky but i would have Charlotte, Chyna and Asuka higher up. Would also have Kaitlyn in my top 10, for the brief period ive seen her in WWE, she was brilliant i thought

The Nal wrote: »

Chyna was a terrible wrestler. She broke barriers and was no doubt booked better than any woman before her, but she was average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Paige not cracking the top 10 is surprising considering the division started to change upon her introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At least they remembered Chyna.
    Was AJ on the list?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At least they remembered Chyna.
    Was AJ on the list?

Yeah top 20 I think... definitely on the list though

• Advertisement

It's not a bad show in fairness, I quite enjoyed it with the way they looked back on all of their careers. Sunny even got a mention :pac:

Full List in the article here: https://itrwrestling.com/news/wwe-lists-top-50-greatest-women-superstars-50-6/

Or alternatively below...

Edit: actually maybe I won't spoil the whole thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Huh would've thought Stephanie would've been in the top 20 at least.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Huh would've thought Stephanie would've been in the top 20 at least.

I'd have her top 10 personally, not sure who you would replace her with though it's a pretty daycent top 10 (arguments about the order aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Necro wrote: »
    I'd have her top 10 personally, not sure who you would replace her with though it's a pretty daycent top 10 (arguments about the order aside)

I'd personally swap her with Chyna.

Much more of an influential character on screen since 99 until now. The McMahon Helmsley era, to her stint as face GM on Smackdown, to her match with Ronda at WM.

Id have her high on the list. Shes still a weapon in real life though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ronda brought the womens division up several notches, she should be higher than the like of Banks and Asuka. There would be no Mania main event without her.

I like both Asuka and Banks, but they havent been booked like stars.

Yeah in no way have they treated Asuka as being in the top 5 even though I feel she is. They gave Nikki fcuking Bella more of an aura as champion than Asuka.

Yeah in no way have they treated Asuka as being in the top 5 even though I feel she is. They gave Nikki fcuking Bella more of an aura as champion than Asuka.

Asuka should be a top 5 talent at least, but ever since she lost to Charlotte a few years back she was criminally booked badly (no surprise there).

Bella was presented much better by WWE.

Make no mistake, Asuka is probably number 1 in terms of talent, but there are many more Id have ahead of her. Never felt like a main eventer unlike Charlotte, Becky or Ronda in recent times.

Shes just another name in botched use of talent. WWE used Asuka in a comparison to someone buying a remote control and using it as a paper weight. It works fine as a paper weight but you could get a hell of a lot more use out of it if you used it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ThePott

Ah yes the reverse Triple H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Probably the best booked rumble I have seen. Must of taken the dude days upon days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange they rank the Bellas as 1 person. Would be like ranking Edge & Christian in a single spot for the men.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Strange they rank the Bellas as 1 person. Would be like ranking Edge & Christian in a single spot for the men.

Tbh, Brie doesn't really deserve to be on the list imo. Nikki does mind.

Equally I'm wondering if they will do a top 50 male superstar list and what it would like beyond the top 15 or so....

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Twenty years ago tomorrow the last Monday nitro was broadcast.

Today 20 years ago. Crazy

The worst thing that could have happened to wrestling was WCW (and to a lesser extent ECW) going out of business. WWE was never the same after Wrestlemania 17.

Just on WCW. A friend of mine in school used to tape Nitro for me. It was so stupid though that you had no access to WCW PPVs over here. The only way was to buy the VHS by Mail order a few months later (and I think that was UK only). They should have showed the PPVs on the same channel that showed Nitro in the UK/Ireland. WCW was so slack when it came to stuff like that.

That's cos Edge is a bang average face and always was, he was always better as the manipulative heel. We've also had the "return" angle last year, in the feud with Orton.

There's no pop to this feud, no spark. Why would there be, neither guy has any history of animosity beyond Roman being the champ, nor have they tried to create any since the Rumble.

Here's what they should do, but won't.

Have Bryan BEAT Roman tomorrow night. It can be with Edge's assistance, doesn't have to be clean if they're obsessed with protecting the big dog (mind you, he's a heel and should be losing sometimes).

Bryan goes into Mania as Champ up against the Rumble winner Edge, with Reigns seemingly out of the picture.

Reigns demands his rematch and Bryan being a fighting champion gives it to him at Mania, we now have a triple threat match with Reigns super focused and determined to reclaim the gold along with the wildcard of Edge.

Already annoyed with Bryan trying (and succeeding) to jump the queue and getting to the main event of Mania, Edge snaps after Bryan gives Reigns what he wants as it decreases his chances. He beats the sh1t out of Bryan, possibly gives him a con-chair-to (but maybe not, might be too close to Mania for Bryan to sell that impact).

Boom you have deranged and obsessed Edge back as a heel alongside Reigns with both chasing a face champ in Bryan.

There's your Mania main event. And they can still do it.

But they won't, and we will get Edge VS Reigns and it will likely be grand, but sort of pointless and with no real pop or meaning to the feud.

Close enough... just erm... ignore the last bit :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've never liked brand exclusive Championships. When you have to call a championship the Raw Women's Championship or the Smackdown Women's Championship it kind've makes them feel less like a championship for women and more like a championship for the brand. The same goes for the tag team championships.

They should have one called the women's championship, or rename the other title to a more suitable name like how you have the WWE Championship and the Universal Championship.

The Tag Team Championships should be unified because there is barely a tag team division, to begin with.

Close enough... just erm... ignore the last bit :pac::pac:

Im shocked the they didnt press ahead with Edge v Roman.

Allegedly Edge is getting heat for looking old, which he does. Hes got that Mark Hammill Rise of the Skywalker look.

Bryan is the injection this feud needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Late to the discussion but Sasha should have been #1 in that wwe women's list. I'm not even her biggest fan but she has far and away the best collection of matches, the TakeOver series with Bayley in 10 years time will be viewed as iconic and a real moment when the perception of women's wrestling in WWE changed.

#2 could have been Bayley had they not ****ed her introduction to the main roster so badly and then proceeded to not have a fcking clue on how to market her inspite of it being a fcking OPEN GOAL!

The company stinks and the list is just a microcosm of all that is wrong in WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Late to the discussion but Sasha should have been #1 in that wwe women's list. I'm not even her biggest fan but she has far and away the best collection of matches, the TakeOver series with Bayley in 10 years time will be viewed as iconic and a real moment when the perception of women's wrestling in WWE changed.

#2 could have been Bayley had they not ****ed her introduction to the main roster so badly and then proceeded to not have a fcking clue on how to market her inspite of it being a fcking OPEN GOAL!

The company stinks and the list is just a microcosm of all that is wrong in WWE

I swear there's a collection of wrestlers in WWE who were open goal face stars that they've completely whiffed on and now they're heels.

It's not on WWE for Bayley flopping as a face on the main roster. She basically had stage fright for the longest time. Her character worked in the weird little box that is Full Sail but big arenas and crowds weren't her friends. Canada especially hates her for some reason (although they'll probably like her now she's heel). Emma was something similar in NXT, a quirky character who people thought would work on the main roster but her weird awkward dancing just got silence instead.

There was loads of instances of flubbed promos. The infamous Raw Talk segment with Booker T (which was just bad form on his part, in my opinion) and even her first heel promo she nervously tripped over lines. Bayley said it herself, no crowds have been the making of her...
    "It's helped me a lot because I don't really have to worry about the fan's approval or worry about fans believing in what I'm doing or not buying into what I'm saying in promos or anything like that," said Bayley. "I've found a certain annoyance in my character. I think that I can be very loud and it basically just echoes in the Performance Center because there's nobody there and I just think it's hilarious. So for me, I think it's benefited helping me find myself as this character."

The top 50 most-searched wrestling personalities (WWE and AEW) worldwide last week...

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1375895908831887365

- The top three aren't even there for wrestling-related reasons.

- Only two active wrestlers in the top 10.

- Seven in the top 20.

- Omega doesn't even crack the top 50.

- He said he forgot Paige and The Bellas who probably would've been high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The top 50 most-searched wrestling personalities (WWE and AEW) worldwide last week...

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1375895908831887365

- The top three aren't even there for wrestling-related reasons.

- Only two active wrestlers in the top 10.

- Seven in the top 20.

- Omega doesn't even crack the top 50.

- He said he forgot Paige and The Bellas who probably would've been high.

Meltzer will probably block him for that.

Advertisement