Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Sirsok wrote: »
    In regards to these and male on female violence in wrestling. Why was the Osprey Bea thing controversial? Is it because within the context of that promotion that its not a done thing?

Intergender wrestling became a big talking point when Tessa won impact championship and reaction to that seemed positive.

In my opinion it was more because of the people involved in the angle (Ospreay/Bea), that there's a section on wrestling fans who are hyper sensitive to anything those two do and because of the profile of NJPW means there were a lot more eyes on it than ROH. On top of that, the talk coming out of it was that some veterans in the NJPW locker room didn't know it was going to happen and were far from happy with it. Personally I didn't mind the angle, it really didn't do anything hugely for me either positively or negatively.

Personally I'm not a big fan of intergender wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Personally I'm not a big fan of intergender wrestling.

Im in the same boat.

I'm hoping I never see it in AEW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Headshot wrote: »
    Im in the same boat.

I'm hoping I never see it in AEW

Same here. I dont mind mixed tags or the once off battle of the sexes as a special attraction depending on whos involved, but beyond that, its not my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Lithium93_ wrote: »

That will always be my favourite WM and easily the best build up video imo and the song just added to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The peak of pro wrestling for me. Once the event finished it wasn’t a dramatic drop but to me it was never the same and it’s been a steady decline with 2016 until now showing a further decline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So with lockdown this last 12+ months, I sorta re-discovered wrestling and spent time catching up with it. It occurred to me that I really need to go to more shows when everything starts back up again, so I'll be watching out for the OTT guys starting up again. But all that got me thinking about the last live wrasslin' event I went to and it was a taping of Impact the night Bully Ray married Brooke Hogan and the Aces and Eights ruined everything. I knew I was opposite the hard camera so I went looking on YouTube and I found myself over Bully Ray's head :D

548879.png

I was on holidays in Orlando with my mother and brother at the time and on a whim whilst wandering around Universal thought to check and see if they still filmed wrestling shows there (having previously been there in 2005 and getting tickets to the show from Jimmy Hart himself!) It was a good laugh, saw a lot of up and coming talent that night - AJ Styles definitely stuck out (of course he did!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Disappointed in the latest episode of MLW, the anticipated main event of Fatu defending against Tankman was a bit of a dud. The show is in desperate need of fresh talent.

However, they did run a segment saying that the partnership with Dragon Gate remains intact and more information will be announced very soon. Interesting stuff LOB!

Disappointed in the latest episode of MLW, the anticipated main event of Fatu defending against Tankman was a bit of a dud. The show is in desperate need of fresh talent.

However, they did run a segment saying that the partnership with Dragon Gate remains intact and more information will be announced very soon. Interesting stuff LOB!

Get some Dragon Gate guys on the roster and I'll watch it every week. As it is I only put it on if I've nothing else to watch.

The idea of Dragon Gate doing that RED/Masquerade 6 man tag in front of an American crowd has me excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't see ads on tv too often these days, but how long has Daniel Bryan been in a coke zero ad?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I don't see ads on tv too often these days, but how long has Daniel Bryan been in a coke zero ad?

News to me, linky?

Can't find it online but it was just a 1 second or so clip from one of the shows of him doin his "Yes!". So very brief part of the ad.
    Think it was on Rte as was watching LA Confidential when it came on

Popped into my head while watching Smackdown. We're like 10 years on from Steen/Excalibur doing shtick in PWG about Tamina Snuka, it's 2021 and she's still on WWE TV and she's still incredibly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Question

If a NXT wrestler gets promoted to the main rosters Raw or Smackdown, do they automatically get a new contract tying them down for a few more years?

Headshot wrote: »
    Question

If a NXT wrestler gets promoted to the main rosters Raw or Smackdown, do they automatically get a new contract tying them down for a few more years?

Im not too knowledgable but I have read that some recent promotees have not been given new terms until their contract is worth negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Can't find it online but it was just a 1 second or so clip from one of the shows of him doin his "Yes!". So very brief part of the ad.
    Think it was on Rte as was watching LA Confidential when it came on

Here's an international version of said ad, saw an American version doing the rounds on twitter. Wonder how Daniel Bryan feels about it tbh.

That's the one. Wonder if they needed permission or did it fall under fair use or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The absolute peak of wrestling right there. It will never ever get back to those heights again simply because they won't ever get stars like they had in the ring, they'll never again get a commentator who can add so much to a match like they had with JR, fans will never be as passionate again because unfortunately kids don't react like fellas my age did back then.

I'm so glad I was the perfect age for that era and got to enjoy it every single week. Every raw, smackdown and PPV were essential viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,837 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is probably the most random song that was ever played in wwe/wwf. U2 And Pro Wrestling in the same sentence something I'd never thought I'd ever see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This is probably the most random song that was ever played in wwe/wwf. U2 And Pro Wrestling in the same sentence something I'd never thought I'd never see

That return was just absolutely incredible. I think I've mentioned it here before but I was talking to a friend in the states through MSN messenger and he was describing it to me, I had goosebumps just reading what he was saying and going off his reaction. Those few days until Raw aired here on the Friday seemed to last much longer than a normal week.

Kids these days don't know how lucky they have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WTF I am getting an age verification to watch that YouTube video when did that become a thing?

WTF I am getting an age verification to watch that YouTube video when did that become a thing?

I think it’s happens when whoever uploads it puts an age restriction on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cultaholic have ranked all 383 Wrestlemania matches from worst to best...

Can't see myself sitting through the entire 5+ hours so I'll think skip ahead to the top 10 or 20.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cultaholic have ranked all 383 Wrestlemania matches from worst to best...

Can't see myself sitting through the entire 5+ hours so I'll think skip ahead to the top 10 or 20.

I won’t be doing it either but I can say with some certainty that the giant gonzalez vs undertaker match from WM 9 will be high on the list on the most godawful matches ever broadcast at wrestle mania. I know some matches probably seemed better on paper than in reality and at times guys didn’t click in the ring, but what was Vince thinking ? The giant was an awful wrestler and taker wasn’t going to get a good match out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jack Swagger and Zeb's We the People gimmick really was ahead of it's time.

If they were front and center over the previous 18 months leading up to the US election it might have been a gimmick that really hit home with the riots in DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jack Swagger and Zeb's We the People gimmick really was ahead of it's time.

If they were front and center over the previous 18 months leading up to the US election it might have been a gimmick that really hit home with the riots in DC.

It wouldn't be allowed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That graphic seems to clear up would nxt takeover be shown on the network given its also on BT sports and the answer is yes it’ll be on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,837 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That graphic seems to clear up would nxt takeover be shown on the network given its also on BT sports and the answer is yes it’ll be on the network.

I'll have to flip a coin on whether i'll watch it on the network or BT

Suppose paying for Sky costs more than the network

• Advertisement

Robert Roode only competing on Smackdown?

Advertisement