Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have no idea about memorabilia collecting but how do the props/gear etc end up going to fans instead of say the wrestler getting to keep them ?

I'm enjoying the most wanted treasures series and always wondering this

Very simple really the wrestlers sold them to the fans for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A forum member in very high standing J. Marston asked in the Bella twins autobiography thread why the AJ lee promo is held in such high regard, and I’ll try and answer why(I may fail in this attempt but **** it I’ll give it a go) and it’s because her promo didn’t sound like a ****ing hostage statement is the primary reason. The level of promos in the main wrestling companies is woeful IMO. If I wanted to watch awful stilted dialogue read with the passion of a funeral, I’d watch fair city.

I mean a more recent example of how bad it’s gotten is whatever fever dream Cody Rhodes was going through when he decided to go on that rambling promo on AEW which was awful. The focus group and then not a focus group crap just shows that he can’t take any criticism.

I’m mean promos in the old days were more believable because they weren’t overly complicated. They had a simple formula and they got the feuds over. Who, when, what, and where. Who is the person fighting, when is this taking place, what match type is it, and in west town is it in. It was simple.

To sum up yes I’m down on modern wrestling because it’s bad. The spontaneity and ability to suspend disbelief is more or less gone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    A forum member in very high standing J. Marston asked in the Bella twins autobiography thread why the AJ lee promo is held in such high regard, and I’ll try and answer why(I may fail in this attempt but **** it I’ll give it a go) and it’s because her promo didn’t sound like a ****ing hostage statement is the primary reason. The level of promos in the main wrestling companies is woeful IMO. If I wanted to watch awful stilted dialogue read with the passion of a funeral, I’d watch fair city.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched Kenny Omega vs Prince Devitt from 2011 (match is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyQSFoXo48 if anyone wants to see)

Kenny, at least at that point, was the greatest wrestler in the world. That's saying something as Fergal was the greatest wrestler in the world at one point too. Just everything Omega does is awesome. It's totally emphatic and crisp you could set your watch to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just watched Kenny Omega vs Prince Devitt from 2011 (match is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyQSFoXo48 if anyone wants to see)

Kenny, at least at that point, was the greatest wrestler in the world. That's saying something as Fergal was the greatest wrestler in the world at one point too. Just everything Omega does is awesome. It's totally emphatic and crisp you could set your watch to it :pac:

I like Balor , I do.... but hes IMO was never the greatest wrestler in the world. I enjoy some of his matches, hes no slouch in the ring but I never was blown away by him either.

Omega is on a another level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I like Balor , I do.... but hes IMO was never the greatest wrestler in the world. I enjoy some of his matches, hes no slouch in the ring but I never was blown away by him either.

Omega is on a another level.

I remember seeing him when he came over to OTT.

Everything he did seemed like it had purpose to it; even stuff like running the ropes and the shorter steps he took to make it look like he's moving faster.

Incredible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

is there anywhere that I can catch the A&E biographies on the WWE superstars? PM me if you need to drop me some links.. wink wink

After watching Collision in Korea it has me wondering does it hurt Vince that he doesn't hold the two biggest attendance records.

J. Marston wrote: »
    giphy.webp

Not a fan of getting praise ? I mean it was either that or call you some four letter words and I didn’t think that was the right way to go.

Not a fan of getting praise ? I mean it was either that or call you some four letter words and I didn’t think that was the right way to go.

Wasn't sure if it was praise or sarcasm, hence the gif!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Clearly Becky still needs to lose that baby weight.

https://twitter.com/WWEonFOX/status/1399477016542461954

Seriously though, she looks great!

If Vince sells even for a couple of billion does that mean Tony Khan won the wrestling war. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Khan family net worth eclipses the McMahon family net worth, so in probably the only way Vince understands, he's already lost it ;)

If Vince sells even for a couple of billion does that mean Tony Khan won the wrestling war. ;)

As I said in the spring cleaning thread I can’t see vince selling WWE while he is still alive. After he is gone, I could easily see it being sold but not before Vince is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

As I said in the spring cleaning thread I can’t see vince selling WWE while he is still alive. After he is gone, I could easily see it being sold but not before Vince is dead.

To come at your point from a different angle; could we theorize that this is Nick Khan's doing, albeit at Vince's instruction? Maybe he wants to cash out his chips now instead.

Khan vs Khan in The Wrath of Khans.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    To come at your point from a different angle; could we theorize that this is Nick Khan's doing, albeit at Vince's instruction? Maybe he wants to cash out his chips now instead.

Imagine lol... Behave yourself Lithium making me want to watch again :D

Why do wrestlers fight with unprotected jewelry?
    I see ones with wrapped rings which makes sense, but then see ones with chains which could be dangerous to both competitors and see others with piercings. Most recent example was this week's Dark, I know Cherry said it looked like Statlander lost some teeth but watching it, it looked like the piercing was ripped from her lip.
    Rhea had her ear ripped during her match with Io.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of but it just seems an unnecessary risk

• Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How come we barely hear anything about ROH these days? Is the product that bad?

Not sure who has the smaller roster between them and impact.
    Funny thing is when I watch they have those insurance ads which star Ric Flair and LA Knight. Think Austin was in one as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Giant Gonzales’ “look” was actually awesome.

Pairing him with the really small Whippleman was genius. The visuals of them both makes GG look about 20feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Giant Gonzales’ “look” was actually awesome.

Pairing him with the really small Whippleman was genius. The visuals of them both makes GG look about 20feet tall.

Having him wrestle was not such a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

ROH, IMPACT and MLW really aren't up to much these days, they'd put you to sleep most weeks, not must watch in anyway. Like Dark and Elevation are above them in the pecking order of what US shows to catch any particular week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

So in the Wrestlemania thread I said I was off shooting a music video on the Saturday, well tis finally released if anyone is interested & it certainly has a wrestling inspired feel to it.....

Beef Supreme - The Flair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sarah Michelle Gellar referenced Alexa Bliss on Instagram....hope the latter is overwhelmed by the honour of such a thing. :P

Seems they're friends.
    For one of us, this is a #flashbackfriday and one of us still looks likes this. They do say great minds think alike @alexa_bliss_wwe_ (or just like dogs...friends start to look alike too )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The developers of WWE 2k22 must be like god damn it every time they click on wrestling news lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone remember a programme they used to show on Bravo back in the late 90s called Bushido? It had bouts from the UWFI, a Japanese shoot-style promotion. I always remember the American wrestler Gary Albright on it. Maybe the first mayor of Suplex City, and his finisher, the full nelson suplex. Probably the only wrestling finisher that has ever made me genuinely wince. The thing looked utterly devastating, and there was no question of opponents getting up afterward. To this day, I do not understand how the move did not kill a couple of guys or at least leave them quadriplegics. I know the matches there were worked, but he plonked them right on their heads with ferocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Now that AEW has signed Andrade, do you think Jericho will stop it with that awful Judas Effect seeing as there is now someone there that can make the move not look like crap?

• Advertisement

Hangman Page is the most effortlessly cool guy in wrestling.

Advertisement