Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

If you were broke in your 20s because you were spending your income, then that's why you're the target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well typically speaking, more 18 to 34 year olds today have more money to waste and prone to impulse buying, where as those older have more expenses and are wiser to blow their money frivolously.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Braun Strowman looks like he will work under the name The Titan in Impact.

How long before they get another giant guy in and tag him with The Titan and call them The Titan Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

The Wrestling Channel was really hidden gem of a channel back in the day on Sky.

You had soo much access to wrestling outside WWE.

I always found it so stupid though that the TNA episodes were like 6 months behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved the wrestling channel back in the day for and a company that probably only about a budget of €100 a week and running at a loss from the very start they did a great job getting shows from around the world and lasting as long as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The guy who owned the wrestling channel posts on UKFF and gives some great insight to it all. There's a thread on there now regarding the Cultaholic piece on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I used to watch the The Wrestling Channel back in the day myself. Only my opinion... but TWC launched at the right and wrong time if that makes sense.

What I mean is that Sky started to offer free satellites and installation for TV in 2000/2001 if you signed up to a years contract. Suddenly you had thousands of people watching Sky digital. So more and more budget channels popped up (Gaming network, Heck even babestation started in 2001)

So you can imagine by 2004 alot of people in the UK and Ireland would have access to watch the newly established TWC. This is also before the advent of streaming and YouTube in 2006 so they started before all that. Problem is wrestling was no longer hot 2005ish.

A lot of people stopped watching WWE late 2001/2002 onwards. Wwe is not the be all end all, but if their business was going down subsequent other smaller promotions in the western world were drawing smaller too. Less fans watching overall.

You could argue that if TWC launched in the height of the wrestling boom it may have faired better (sky digital launched 1998) but am sure the cost of launching a channel would have been soooo much more then than that of 2004.

Even if the channel launched 2000 say, sure Bravo had a deal to show ECW. Then they dropped them for WCW. But both would be gone by March 2001 even if the wrestling channel got both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Noam Dar is very entertaining. Had me cracking up calling Bate wee man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The iron man match at judgement day 2000 is the best iron match wwe have ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Their match at Backlash 2000 was also great. Probably up there as one of the best singles matches in both men's careers.

It was a good match but I was referring a specific type of match. I mean bar wrestle mania that year which was a bit off, the wwe in 2000 were sucking diesel.

I thought there used to be a Wrestling book thread but couldn't find it.

Anyway looking forward to picking up Moxley's book. It's not out in paper form over here until December but the Kindle version can be bought from Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Here ya go. Since the search here isn't great it's usually better to just use google with the query

site:boards.ie <search term>

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055408420/wrestling-books

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the freebird rule only for the tag titles?

Obviously Woods would not be able to defend the World Title for Big E

God wwe needs a few new factions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Morrison dressed as Meltzer for Halloween...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Random but I've been on the sesh with Homicide in Seattle Friday night, and tonight I was VIP at a Danzig show in Hollywood and was seated next to Josh Barnett for the night. Talked all about Bloodsport and metal and was a great time. Homicide gave some interesting insights into the business too which I'll share if anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Share away, LAX were one of my favourite tag teams

• Advertisement

Are WWE tables extra-gimmicked these days? In the last month or so I noticed how they split precisely down the middle with someone going through one and last night the table T-Bar went through basically exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Wrestling Channel was brilliant, imo, but I didn't watch it for indy wrestling - I watched it for the RF shoots. I don't really watch current wrestling anymore, but I do love me some shoot interviews - old RF stuff, Kayfabe Commentaries, Hannibal TV etc. It's miles more interesting than what actually gets put in front of the camera, based on what little I do see of the current product.

You're actually right briany. A shoot interview can often be way more entertaining compared to WWE's current output.

Upon further reflection of TWC I feel that it was destined to fail. Which is a bold statement to make but what I mean is if you go back 15 years ago the average casual wrestling fan believed that if it wasn't wwe then it wasn't wrestling and not worth watching. TWC could never ink a deal over Sky to show wwe, so the masses would never watch the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What makes you think the 'average casual wrestling fan' has changed in that belief?

I think the NBA fans reaction to Chris Jericho when they NBA led into dynamite shows that the average casual wrestling fan still thinks WWE is pro wrestling. AEW hasn't gotten the mainstream reach yet and tbh as long as they only produce content for their key demo they won't get there.

Which for the non-casual wrestling fan is probably a good thing because the stuff that appeals to the casual is the much that WWE churns out by the boatload.

I get what you are saying. It's just not as bad as it once was with the existence of AEW today. There's an alternative that people are watching.

I remember in the early to mid-90s UTV would show WCW and that couldn't find an audience as it stopped pretty quick. Even eurosport showed NJPW at one point. Same deal - if it aint WWE it aint wrestling was the mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Eurosports NJPW was eye opening to me as a kid. I think CMLL was on one of the other obscure satellite channels but fcuks sake the NJPW junior heavyweights obliterated everything WWF and WCW were doing. I mean what compete with the in ring action of the Pegasus kid, Jushin Thunder Liger, the Guerreros etc.....

Remember WCW bouncing from Saturday afternoon to some weeknight at 10 and then finally ending up in a 2 am slot.

NJPW was pure class. Still is! But I never knew that about WCW UTV time slot change. Interesting.

Speaking of WCW back in the day I just happened to see this come up in my youtube feed:

Hogan is something else isn't he? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was it Batista that refused to sell the leg drop and Flair knew it so was able to distract Hogan away the pin before Dave kicked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I loved Vader when I was a kid watching WCW on a Saturday, the first wrestling I ever watched. He was so cool.

• Advertisement

Roman has surpassed Punk's 434 day title reign. Someone on Reddit punched the numbers and found that they've both defended the title 12 times over 14 PPVs as Champion...

Cena and Bryan being the only crossover opponents.

Advertisement