Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i'll never forget how shocked i was when Vader beat sting, or when he put him in the scorpion deathlock....good times

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll always remember being there when Vader won the title from Sting on St Patrick's night in Dublin.

They had switched the title earlier in London while on a European tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not that I’ve noticed. I mean even in the attitude era the tables broke fairly easily and would break up into the bits if landed on the right way.

He’s something alright but I’m sure the rules of boards.ie prevent me from expressing them fully. I’d forgotten he’d worked with Vader because I can remember something about hogan getting Vader to sign something to stop him from working stiff. I hated how hogan would kick out almost at the same time as the three count so he’d lose but it was never clean, and it was always as if the opponent get lucky. You can see why piper never agreed to put him over clean in WWE, because didn’t trust him to do the favour in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Piper would be right not to put Hogan over, but Piper never liked doing jobs as it was too it has to be said lol. IIRC Piper never did jobs on tv. Which is mental to think about in todays WWE product. Like him loosing to Bret via pin fall at wm8 was unheard of.

On that subject, Piper was probably right not to looking back. Hogan didn't want to do jobs. Warrior didn't want to as well and you have to figure along the totem pole everyone was using whatever political pull they had to get their way. Sure didn't Honky Tonk refuse to lose to Randy Savage as well?

Of course, todays WWE is different. The brand is bigger than the star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

As far as modern day factions in WWE went, The Shield are the bar to beat. Sadly on the 9 year anniversary of their debut they've never come close to replicating them.. Even Seth on Instagram summed it up with this extract from Moxley's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With the final big 4 wwe ppv tonight it's time to think about the rumble and who the winners might be

Women's- tough one to call but me thinks they might go with a big name this year and Sasha Banks or a returning Bayley fits that bill

Men's- again tough one to call and they can litterly go any direction. Cesaro or Finn Balor would be great victors. Hope they don't go with Seth Rollins or Orton again

A big name for the women as opposed to the ham and eggers who’ve won it since it’s been done. Bayley isn’t meant to be back until after mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seeing the lineup for the next NWA PPV and I see Kylie Rae. Thought she retired again. Or is it a planned retirement for end of year or sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Have a feeling they may be building Liv towards a Rumble win. Men's one is harder to call. My money's on Lesnar or Lashley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Didn't know where to put this but was at AIW in Cleveland the other night and it was a great time. I noticed Miz's dad front row across the way and met him outside in the car park and he chatted away for ages, absolutely loves wrestling and goes to as many local shows as he can apparently. A complete gent and he would have stayed talking for ages only the snow started pelting down. Very random encounter indeed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"and you step up and if you dont think I'm big enough brother, then you grab a hold of me and you'll know I'm growing my man, within your hands I will get as big as I need to be, as big as I need to be to do the job on you. Now it doesn't take a very big snake to do the job.."

Wrestling out of context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQExBPos_0

That's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That's funny as feck. Who says wrestling can be homoerotic?!

How do people feel about wrestlers having different roles on different brands? Like Chelsea Green on Impact is Chelsea Green which in NWA she's more of the Hot Mess. Then at NWA Hard Times last night

Matt Cardona showed up as heel even though he's a face on Impact.

While I know there's little overlap between some companies with regard stories, we've had a lot of overlap with NWA and Impact lately.

Speaking of Hard Times, I was wondering recently where Austin Aries went and then he turned up for a match there. Looking him up, it seems it's his first match in over 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wasn't he a big covid denier , warning fans not to show up to autograph signings in masks and such , can't imagine that got him many bookings

Twenty years ago tonight vengeance 2001 happened in which Chris Jericho beat the rock and Austin in one night to become the undisputed world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I remember this vividly. 12-13 year old me considered Jericho to be a nobody compared to Rock and Austin and I was completely undecided on who was going to win the Undisputed title between Rock and Austin because it was never gonna be Jericho.

The next day in school someone told me Jericho won and I was "Shut up, no way." It was only the following Saturday watching Smackdown on Sky One did I believe it.

Haha. Yeah and then he was like a spare at a wedding for the triple h and Stephanie storyline for wrestle mania 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I remember being disappointed about Chris Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship, but for a good reason because I was a kid at the time and I always sided with the babyfaces over the heel. So when I found out Jericho defeated both The Rock and Austin I was totally surprised by it. However looking back on it now, I'm happy he won the Undisputed Championship. It was completely unexpected and would have been too obvious having Rock and Austin win it since they were already multiple-time world champions. I just hated how they handled his championship reign and made him into a joke during his feud with Triple H.

I still wonder to this day if HHH tried to sabotage Jericho's title reign because it seems like HHH disliked Jericho back then. At least according to Jericho's book anyway. If HHH was against Kurt Angle holding the world championship then imagine how he felt about Jericho.

• Advertisement

I mean it has to be either Jericho or angle winning because by them winning they’d get the rub of beating the rock or Austin. But whoever it was the wwf knew HHH was returning soon(he’s in the ppv poster ffs) and it was a given he was getting a monster push and getting the title at mania. So, if angle had won, then Jericho would have been in the rumble and had the match at no way out at triple h I suppose. Was the HHH heat towards Jericho from the chyna stuff ? I can’t remember what Jericho says about that time but hardcore holly doesn’t have fond memories of that rumble 2000 match.

With the amount of free agents available atm (I did think a few months ago when Punk and Danielson were available was the best time to strike though) it's such a good time for another new company to jump into the mix with a big financial backer.

New or one of the existing like GCW or MLW?

Impact and NWA seem destined to remain lower key.

I know ones here have said GCW is probably the number 3 company, but I find MLW seems to have better production and look a bit more professional, though I only started watching recently.

Another Tony Khan is basically what I was thinking. All that money, TV connections and all that.

Can't ever see Impact going any further with their TV, 100 People max in attendance etc.

I also hate that Impact copy WWEs camera cuts, camera shakes and all that ****. Makes it unwatchable for me.

How long before the WWE actual stop hiring and using real human talent and just start using augmented reality CAW's that they can control every aspect of?

They then can create a "live" augmented reality crowd as well and have them cheer and boo whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally I hate WWE's camera cuts. It's totally unwatchable.

Ironically enough I was watching a video about Jackie Chan earlier on YouTube. It talked about Jackie's Chinese movies that he directed and compared it to his later Hollywood movies which of course he didn't direct. Specifically the fight scenes. Like, you would see the kick / punch / whatever connect. But in Hollywood you never see a punch / kick / whatever connect - they'd cut away and it is often a sign that an actor can't throw realistic strikes - but you still see those annoying cuts today. They are the same as WWE today.

For a laugh, as I write this, I searched up WWF 1994 and switched on a video. They never did the quick cuts on connection. Same goes for the 90s, 80s and 2000s. I was at a WWE show in Dublin a few years ago and the lads were barely touching each other (fair enough, who wants to get injured on a random house show) But I did question to myself how can they be laying it more on TV if there is a cut to hide how soft they hit. They dont. It's all light these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Anyone remember this pic from 10 years ago?

The only person left is Kofi Kingston now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shawn Michaels, The undertaker and Bret hart all held titles in 2010. Last time before that all three held titles in the same year was 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Conrad Thompson should get The Sandman to do a ECW podcast.

He definitely the type that I like to listen from two hours on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement

I know it's been discussed at length but just flicking around the channels there and happened across Raw on BT and yeah, it's unwatchable with the camera cuts. It's bad on more than one level too. It's just so obviously bad that I can't believe they're still doing it.

Advertisement