Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah it's pretty bad. I don't know what happened to wwe.

I think the last great year that company had was 2000 - a rather mad thing to say. Looking back I think wwf was like a rocket on the way to the moon in the attitude era. Once they messed up the invasion angle the rocket ran out of fuel and over the last twenty years it was just a slow decent back to earth. Getting worse as each year went by. That's not to say there wasn't any good matches or ppvs since but over all.

I remember hearing that Backlash 2002 ppv numbers were down half from the previous year. They were doing something wrong back then. Then the whole pg era was in total effect come 2005. Raw was the triple h show for many years. Sure now wrestlers are handed a script to hit word for word. Wrestlers are told to go out there and wrestle a style. Can you imagine someone like Austin trying to get past being the ringmaster today? He'd be given a total new gimmick with no input and you wouldn't have the Austin we know. Things were more organic back then.

Here's a question for everybody....

If you were a wrestler, say a top level indy name, and you had several deals on the table offered to you... be it from wwe, aew, njpw - you name it. Which promotion would you sign with?

Would you choose wwe? - the biggest ballgame in town. But risk being lost in the shuffle? Probably being put on nxt (if you are lucky)

Or perhaps take a shot with aew? See if you can make a name for yourself and hey, who knows, maybe go to wwe down the line signing as a star. Maybe you'd go to njpw to make a name for yourself there?

Which would you choose. I'd probably go with aew myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WWE but just about over AEW. I’m personally not a fan of stuff both companies have done but WWE has been around longer and as stupid as it might be, it’s the dream place to go.

If AEW had been around longer than maybe that would tip it towards them but I have this worry about everyone who’s leaving WWE going to AEW and they can’t sign everyone and I don’t see how they can keep everyone happy and it could get messy. I hope I'm wrong but I just don’t see how that can work going forward.

Interesting points Itssoeasy.

Wwe has always been the biggest promotion there ever was. How could you not sign with them. Also good points about aew.... as time goes by other wwe stars departing is going to take someone's spot.

It's a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Whoever offered the most money and benefits. It's a dangerous job with a limited window if opportunity that, regardless of how well you do it and how good you are, damages your body permanently.

You can get lost in the shuffle in WWE or not get on with the right folk in AEW or NJPW. it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day your position on the card means sh1t as long as you are getting well paid and you are getting to do what you love in front of decent crowds (even if they are on dark or main event). If you go into it with a huge ego thinking you are the best and deserve a main event spot then you are already shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It would depend on the schedule and the money. AEW seems to have a decent balance and is less annoying from a creative perspective. But I'd try NJPW for a bit too for the experience of living over there for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If I had a few friends in AEW then I'd go there and enjoy the TV time and exposure being part of some faction with them for a year or so..

Unless the WWE money is amazing, which it would really need to be because of the risk that they devalue your future earning power with some terrible gimmick or having you do nothing till they cut you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember Sasha looking miserable going to the ring before losing her title. Are there any other times wrestlers didn't look happy knowing the result when going to the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nikki Bella was the OG for RBF when she was gonna lose.

• Advertisement

Just a headsup in case anyone didn't know, looks like every Dark Side of the Ring episode is on All 4. Handy for a marathon before heading back to work next week! :D

I always remember what Al Snow said in a video once. Its on YouTube but too lazy to find it. The jist is:

In wwe, you're miserable because you are on the road so much living out of hotels. The hassle of having to get rent a cars, traveling, trying to find a place to eat and work out. But when you get to a show everyone else is miserable cause they are going through the same. So you work the show, say a raw, you won't get back to your hotel room until 1am. But you have to call your significant other now and they can be complaining that you are never home and then you go to sleep and do it all over again.

Really takes the glitz and glamour out of it lol. Least with AEW you work the lighter schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Talking about The Wrestling channel with a few mates and got me thinking about the old FWA. Remember loving this show and a few of the matches still hold up

Loved Burchill from FWA he teams up with terry funk here

Hade Vansen had a great last man standing match

Styles has an Ironman v James Tighe

In 2005 Punk and Joe had a cracker of a match

MISAWA has an appearance

Styles has a solid match with Daniels

Ahhhhh memories, some solid cards

Imo if booked right Indi hartwell could be a star on the main roster(well a non horsewoman star) as she has everything.

Random thought: Paul Burchill got screwed over.

From being one of the best up and coming British wrestlers, to getting signed to wwe (back in 2005 when it was much much harder to) then to getting jobbed out and thrown a pirate gimmick. Oh, of course that's after he was shagging his "sister" too. World class gimmick that will get you over there.

The funny thing is the chap is only 42. Yet is gone from any major wrestling promotion for years. Wwe gave him that 'jobber stink' and he couldn't wash it off. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Really sad, I remember watching him do some astonishing things in FWA, they treated him like Goldberg and I was very excited when he signed.

Apparently he went onto be a fire fighter after his debacle in WWE.

Such a shame, was a fantastic talent and jaw dropping to watch at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I always liked his finisher when I played SVR 2007.

Muhammed Ali is the original promo king who influenced wrestlers after this.

watch from 1:10 but especially from 1:41.

(This was a 1974 bbc interview)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ali spoke often and openly about being inspired by an being in total awe of Gorgeous George who he has credited for giving him his swagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Was gonna say, Ali credited Gorgeous George but of course Ali probably inspired way more considering his platform.

• Advertisement

Twenty three years ago tonight both WCW and WWF aired(because one was taped and one was live) what are now famous moments and not both good.

WCW

WWF

Now many have said that the finger poke of doom is what turned them off watching WCW and because Tony Schiavone revealed the result of the title match on raw(to be fair he was instructed to do so) which when you look at the ratings thousands of people switched to raw and many never came back.

BTW, that pop for Austin is god like.

Very interesting Itssoeasy. I know both moments very well but didn't know they aired the same night.

But, as you say, wcw revealing mankind won has gone down in history to be one of the dumbest things ever haha. Like, they thought people would continue to watch nitro. But it had to complete opposite effect because, again as you say, thousands switched to witness that moment. Lol.

20 years ago today on January 7th,2002 at MSG triple H returned after tearing his quad in May 2001 during a tag match. That response from the crowd is up there with the best there’s ever been. Also, it helps that JR is on commentary to tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When the wrestling wars eventually end Impact will be the last company standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

JBL, The Wrestling Gaaawd, was a great gimmick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Replace Wings with Raw/NXT/Smackdown and that sums up my interest in WWE these days. Even the Rumble does nothing for me.

I'll watch it because it's on a Saturday this year otherwise I probably wouldn't bother. Also I keep forgetting to cancel the Network so I may as well get some use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

I actually think the card looks really solid this year. Granted I always get excited for the Rumble even if it often disappoints, it being on a Saturday is a definite plus though haven't stayed up for a wrestling PPV in a long time.

• Advertisement

It's weird the way certain wrestlers use religious terminology. Like jbl saying God, but more so triple h being the king of Kings. I know they're just names and it's not like I am overly religious. Just an odd choice.

Isn't it egotistical to call yourself after jesus lol.

Advertisement