Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most wrestlers who end up getting strung out on drugs, it's usually considered a sad thing, but in the case of Iron Sheik, his various appetites were almost a source of comedy. Amazingly, he remains very much alive at the age of 80, despite his abuses (which I understand he has now mostly given up). Makes you wonder what kind of shape he could be in if he'd kept it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Sheik is the man. Met him a few years back and as soon as he learned I was Irish he just screamed "George Best, greatest **** footballer!"

27 days till one of the famous big 4 ppv's and absolutely no build to setting up the return of war games to main event ppv.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say they'll start building next week, once Crown Jewel is out of the way.

Now they just have to get Regal back to tell people they're going to be in a War Games match.

What happened to Tyler Bate?

• Advertisement

Probably just waiting for a good time to bring him back after losing the UK title.

While Crazzy Steve is the first legally blind wrestler I remember seeing, I meant to say that NXT has a deaf wrestler, Myles Borne, who has competed on Level Up a number of times.

As we know, wresting relies a lot on visual and audio cues so I wonder if some are reluctant to have matches with these guys. Not so much out of selfishness but just not wanting to be the guy that might make them look bad in some way. Like watching either of them in action you wouldn't think they had a disability and I only know of Steve because I read it.

But either way, fair play to them and others who overcome such things to perform at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fair play to the guys and all the best of luck to them

From a creative stand point it may be a bit challenging trying to write storylines for the guys not wanting to cause offence or uneasy moments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bobby fish and Chad Gable both wear hearing aids, but aren't fully deaf.

He wears a transmitter that allows him to focus on a particular source of sound so putting matches together wouldn't be an issue, it'd be any changes on the fly that could cause problems.

He was a decent amateur wrestler, and a lot of that is figuring out what your opponent is going for and reversing it in a split second, so the fairly obvious telegraphing that goes on in pro wrestling shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tonight is the 20th anniversary of the first elimination chamber at survivor series 2002. I remember wondering would it work as a concept and I think it’s fair to say it did and it’s not really been done to death either, and they upgraded it and made it easier to use and put padding outside the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Not sure if I would agree that it wasn't done to death. It was fine when they'd announce them for the odd PPV like they would a big match. They had it at Survivor Series 2002, then at Summerslam 2003, and they had one for New Years' Resolution 2005, and for a number of years booked them at No Way Out PPVs. But then they made it into a gimmick PPV thing and that kind've ruined them a little I think, just like it ruined a lot of matches for me.

That being said, I like the concept of the Elimination Chamber. It made for some very interesting storylines as it went on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Remember that mad Elimination Chamber where the fans got super behind Santino and he was within one second of being a world champ. Those were strange times.

Has any wrestler in the last 20 years taken the one last chance they had to make it and made as much of it as Eddie Kingston has when he got his one shot in AEW when Tony Khan was giving random non contracted talent a chance with Cody's open challenge during the pandemic.

Out of all the released talent that HHH has brought back so far, who turned out the best decision and who was the worst? I think Dexter is doing well. And from what we've seen of her so far, Emma would probably be the worst.

Not a fan of the OC but they've pretty much filled their needed role as Judgement Day opponents. Sarah Logan hasn't had much to do yet.

Others would be Gargano, Candice, Dakota, Bray, Braun, Hit Row and Kross/Scarlet. Pretty mixed impact so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hit Row and Kross seem doomed to fail for me. Not sure on Emma, the women's division on Smackdown is a complete dumpster fire at present so anyone involved looks bad by association.

The rest are all doing well with Lumis probably being the surprise stand out while the more established guys like Bray and Braun have done pretty much exactly how you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mandy Rose is one title defence away from equalling Asuka's 11 title defences as NXT champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Been a little over 9 months now since Tony Khan bought ROH.

Thoughts? Positive or Negative.

All they really needed was the Videotape library. Making it another brand and adding their titles was unnecessary and a distraction. It's like when TNA had those ECW tribute shows years ago. Sure it was nice for nostalgia but TNA had nothing to do with ECW so it just seemed like they trying to latch on to something that they really didn't have any business doing. AEW should just focus on building its brand and leave the Ring of Honor stuff in the past.

I hadn't really thought of this before but I saw a lot of people point out that even with video library there's a lot of work that has to go into making the library actually usable and that some of the quality isn't great. It is very niche and I really do wonder how much of a selling point it will be for a potential streamer if they get acquired.

Definitely agree that the titles and that was really unnecessary. I feel like their inclusion has really hurt my own investment in AEW and the booking in general. I had no idea Final Battle was this Saturday and so far the card looks a little rough IMO.

People mention how a streaming service would love that library.

I'd love to be in the room as they pitch a video library of 15-20 year old PPVs held in sports halls shot in glorious 360p that only the niche-st of wrestling fans would be interested in.

Sooner AEW phase out that rubbish, the better. Focus on belts that mean something.

• Advertisement

It looks like Honor Club is on the verge of relaunching, don't know how this would impact a streaming deal or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If they could tack on the ROH archives to whatever streaming service they end up using for the AEW library eventually then it could be a cool enough add on for fans, and keep their interest going. But on its own it's not worth much.

Agree, it's a good add on for fans but people suggesting this will massively boost the possibility or value of a streaming deal or that this will bring in some big fanbase is way off.

Is Angle during his peak years the most the well-rounded wrestler ever? Excellent in the ring. Brilliant range in every role; Comedic face/heel, intense face/heel. Never felt out of place in a spot on the card; Main eventer, upper mid-card, tag teams. Always made it work.

Will Edge leave WWE and join AEW ? , His contract is up this year apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Boggles the mind as to how that's not only possible, but done so flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Edge seems to be that type of guy that WWE will always offer him some contract in some sort of capacity. Personally I don't see him going but at the end of the day it's all about money. If wwe offered him a dime on the dollar for what AEW offers, then it's aew time.

That said he couldn't call himself edge and Adam copeland doesn't have the same ring to it lol.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

U2 won't be happy if he joins AEW and calls himself

Adam 'The Edge' Copeland

• Advertisement

I thought he said last year that he didn't think he would be wrestling for much longer. Seemed to indicate he would be retiring again so I wouldn't be surprised if he just retires, though I suppose he might have just been saying that and may continue to wrestle on occasion. WWE would most definitely offer him a new contract though.

Can't see him joining AEW either, he seems like a WWE lifer and tbh he's better off in WWE.

Advertisement