Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Jesus lads, trying to book a very low card AEW wrestler for a show and the pricing is INSANE! 3k plus flights and hotels, plus the agent wants his flights and hotels paid for also. Mad old business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

A podcast I have been enjoying lately is Rene Dupree (Cafe De Rene) seems like a chilled guy nowadays and he is great with guests especially from his era.

Post edited by Blue_Dabadee on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

.....I need to get into being a pro-wrestler 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭briany

Would Vince not get himself a bitta Immac. Get rid of that aul' ronnie he's cultivating?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The dusty rhodes documentary on A&E was superb. Best one they’ve done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mental alright.

Whats the average ticket of an indy over here? FFPW is 20 and OTT is 24 / 34 euro, right? So let's just say 20 euro per ticket and let's forget flights and hotel (for just an example) If an indy paid someone 3 grand they would need to sell 150 tickets at that price to cover his pay. Sure OTT only gets, what, 400 people in the complex? That 3 grand payday would be 37.5% of the house. Which is also forgetting about paying the venue etc.

All for some low card guy...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder is that due to Tony giving everyone pretty good contracts. There was a report a while ago that everyone there is on 6 figures, so assuming a min of 100k for doing f-all most of the time, you're going to want a good paycheck to do anything outside of that

Indies here vary greatly - for example at Defy here in Seattle it's 100 front row and VIP, 60 for anything else seated and 30 for standing room only. Seattle is a pretty wealthy city with all the tech workers here and the shows are always sold out as the cards are usually nicely stacked.

PWG is about the same running in LA. We're doing $35 for standard entry and $55 with VIP - private balcony, private bar and some M&G opportunities. I've been brought in to basically monetize it better through merch and other opportunities like paid meet and greets where possible and sponsorships with different brands. Our capacity in the current venue with ring is 400 also - the factor that makes it a little more difficult in our sense is we're managing both wrestlers and bands also - lots of people to be paid, time cues/set up times need to be tight also but it's good fun and the first show was a blast!

As for the AEW wrestlers, at first I was taking that as more a "politely declining" deal but the agent is very interested as they have bands under contract as well as other wrestlers so we're gonna try work out a bulk deal for a future show. Most of the AEW crew are on 100k or so yes, but it really depends on the persons desire to take outside bookings - Uno, Reynolds, Brody King, Ortiz even are cheaper than what I was quoted on the wrestler referenced.

One thing I'm excited about is getting Brody and his band on a future show. As we grow it we'll look to expand it more out of the NW and get some more marquee names also - in talks with a few already for shows later in the year. It's my first official foray into wrestling from this stand point but it's been a great experience so far and looking forward to seeing what we can do with it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Been listening to that lately myself. The Tank Toland interview as well as Chad Wicks interview has been the most interesting by far I think. The hazing Chad received from the lockerroom was mental. They really had it out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

i wonder what age do kids start watching wrestling these days,

U haven't watched since the very early 00's but my son might start giving it a go,

I think i'll start him off on the early 90's stuff first but what age is ok to start ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My eldest is 9 now and he's been mad into it for about two and a bit years. Brock and Braun were his favorites for a long time but now Cody is the main man for him. He also has a visceral hatred for Roman and the Bloodline😂

Have a 6 year old then who is starting to follow it but mainly cos his big brother is such a fan. Taking the two of them to the live show in Dublin in June and they're absolutely buzzing about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omos Rollins added to backlash and I put it here as it’s the most random matchup ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How is the XFL getting on under the stewardship of the Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's getting on, they'll make it to the finals and almost certainly have a second season. I'd much prefer if they ran may-july next time, I'm burned out on football post superb owl and a July finish would help the players in the free agency window, but it's a perfectly watchable league that will probably see NFL sponsorship at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How are the TV ratings and crowd sizes?

In Seattle at least you can get the tickets free for all the games pretty much. Front row seats were going for like $16 too which is unheard of in that stadium so not sure how much of a financial success it is just yet, will def take some time to catch on.

The WWE championship was created 60 years ago today with the inaugural champion being Buddy Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Not sure if this is of use to anyone but if you're using Peacock for WWE or have interest in giving it a go (need a VPN of course).

Using this promo code N2TEWDZZ you can get a year for $20. It does have ads but I think it's a decent streamer at that price and getting WWE PPVs live and all that content as well is just gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My Nephew whos 9 been watching for a few years now and loves it. Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Bray Wyatt are his favourites

Were going to the Dublin Live Event in June (day before i fly out for MITB) and he cant wait for it. Seen at a lot live events where some kids get tired near the end. Its great nowadays the amount of Wrestling tours that tour globbaly and gives fans of all ages the chance to see it live,When i was a kid in the mid-late 90s 'Touring in Ireland for the WWF/WCW' wasnt a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Amazingly we could have 3 WWE world titles if they decides to resplit the WWE Championship and Universal title. Sounds farcical in itself

So is the WWE Championship the oldest out of them all or is the New World Heavyweight Championship the oldest ie is a resurrection of the big gold WCW belt ?

Had about 1.5 million viewers on relaunch in February but was averaging under half of that halfway through the season. Average attendance is about 18k but St Louis alone is double that and a real outlier. Without St Louis, the average is about 11-12k.

I think their choice of cities has held them back quite a bit.

DC, Seattle, Houston & Vegas all have NFL teams. Orlando have three Florida teams they can follow and San Antonio have two Texas teams. Virginia is essentially a suburb of DC. No surprise seeing St. Louis having by far and away the highest attendance after losing the Rams.

I think they could have tapped into other areas of the country. Plenty of states without any major sport team, much less a football team.

I understand wanting to target larger markets but those markets are saturated.

I think they'd have been better off sticking to the flyover/more rural, states. The likes of Kentucky (Louisville/Lexington), Nebraska (Omaha/Lincoln), New Mexico (Albuquerque/Santa Fé) just off the top of my head would all be ideal locations. All sizeable markets without a single major sports team.

It might be a slow burner but The Rock is a savvy businessman and he loves American Football so I think they'll be around a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are the WWE writers now on strike or are they scabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

WWE writers are non union.

I suppose if they don't want unionised wrestlers, they definitely wouldn't allow unionised writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Might be a tricky one for them... there's a lot of word that the WGA will make life hard for non-union TV writers that keep working, stopping them from joining the union in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would probably a bit of a catch 22 then. They can't work with WWE if they're Union and can't join the union if they worked for WWE.

It's not like they can walk out and just leave their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've since gotten clarification on this - it's non-union writers who do any work for any WGA signatory companies (so with companies who ever use guild writers) that are getting blacklisted from ever joining the union. I'd guess the WWE is not a signatory, so their writers shouldn't be under pressure.

He's in a different company but I still stand by this 3 years later 😂

• Advertisement

Watched Flair vs Funk from '89 tonight. Amazing match. As much as I try to like modern wrestling it's not the same anymore.

Advertisement