Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

leggo wrote: »
    Are you trying to Black Scorpion me now?! “Remember 1982 on the beach? I’m coming for you Sting!” I swear to god, some of the weird stuff like this on here I’ve gotten over the years... :pac:

Almost as weird as reading the mystery method right? Lol.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm 32 man. I'm not going to beef with you, I'm sorry. Find another way to kill time if you're bored.

leggo wrote: »
    I'm 32 man. I'm not going to beef with you, I'm sorry. Find another way to kill time if you're bored.

Lol.
    That's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

La Parka seems like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't even know who he is now.
    There is La Parka, L.A. Park, Hijo De L.A. Park and La Parka Jr.
    L.A. Park is technically the second one (who was also in WCW) his son is Hijo De L.A. Park. La Parka is the third one & I presume the father of La Parka Jr.
    If anyone can understand that - fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,877 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ERG89 wrote: »

I don't even know who he is now.
    There is La Parka, L.A. Park, Hijo De L.A. Park and La Parka Jr.
    L.A. Park is technically the second one (who was also in WCW) his son is Hijo De L.A. Park. La Parka is the third one & I presume the father of La Parka Jr.
    If anyone can understand that - fair play

I was under the impression that LA park was called that because MLW couldnt use LA parka.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Never been a big fan of Daniel Bryan but cant understand how far down the pecking order he has fallen.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was under the impression that LA park was called that because MLW couldnt use LA parka.

He had to change it as AAA own the rights to the name La Parka & when he left to go to WCW they put a new guy in the gimmick.
    Everything was ok until he went to work with CMLL then he had to legally change it.
    L.A. Park won the rights in a match but the result got overturned.
    On a search on wikipedia there is La Parka Negra who was the current La Parka's rival in disguise & also Super Parka (he copyrighted the gimmick except as a orange skeleton) he is also L.A. Park's uncle.
    Right carny move to copy your nephews gimmick & trademark it in such a lame way.

I can't search deeper as this is getting crazy. There are more Parka's than Dudley's, Harts or Von Erich's at this stage.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He had to change it as AAA own the rights to the name La Parka & when he left to go to WCW they put a new guy in the gimmick.
    Everything was ok until he went to work with CMLL then he had to legally change it.
    L.A. Park won the rights in a match but the result got overturned.
    On a search on wikipedia there is La Parka Negra who was the current La Parka's rival in disguise & also Super Parka (he copyrighted the gimmick except as a orange skeleton) he is also L.A. Park's uncle.
    Right carny move to copy your nephews gimmick & trademark it in such a lame way.

I can't search deeper as this is getting crazy. There are more Parka's than Dudley's, Harts or Von Erich's at this stage.

Yeah it seems to be the ultimate carny move alright. It's not the first wrestler to fall victim to someone else trademarking a name they were using and cut their feet out from under them.

Handsome Jimmy Valliant is the good kind of nuts. I'm watching a July 21st, 1979 episode of All star Wrestling on the WWE Network and Vince McMahon is actually brilliant on commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Random thought but something as big as wwe/pro wrestling in the entertainment world is not mentioned much in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. Bret Hart is the only wrestler in my memory of ever appearing in an episode of the simpsons ?

South Park of course done a wrestling themed episode a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Random thought but something as big as wwe/pro wrestling in the entertainment world is not mentioned much in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. Bret Hart is the only wrestler in my memory of ever appearing in an episode of the simpsons ?

The Simpsons did a Gorgeous George type thing with Grandpa. They also made a Rowdy Roddy "Peeper" joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NITRO95

The HBO series Billions has wrestling references dating back to the early 80s every couple of episodes. The Rock is the biggest movie star in the world. John Cena is on a different talk show every other week. Wrestling is well represented constantly in the wider entertainment world, more so now than ever before

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pretty sure there was a wrestling event in an episode of That 70s Show. Might have even featured The Rock himself, iirc.

Pretty sure there was a wrestling event in an episode of That 70s Show. Might have even featured The Rock himself, iirc.
    Yeah it was the rock playing his dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah both the Hardy's and Ken Shamrock were also in it.

I'd still say that wrestling is not as pop culture now as it once was in the 90s.
    It was crazy looking back. You had the rock on star trek voyager. You even had a Simpsons wrestling game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭764dak

Adiboo wrote: »
    The Simpsons did a Gorgeous George type thing with Grandpa. They also made a Rowdy Roddy "Peeper" joke.

That episode has a great song:

One thing I didn't like in the Gorgeous George Grandpa episode was when mr burns looks directly into the "camera" and says "then that means all wrestling fans are idiots" (to that effect, for it being fake) :pac:

Ah I could watch the world title match from Wrestlemania 8 between flair and savage all the time. I love everything about it and it’s not perfect but in wwe Wrestlemania terms it’s a close as you can get. Magical stuff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Has Dolph Ziggler always called his Superkick the Sweet Chin Music or did they he just name it that recently? Unless they're trying to set up a feud between Ziggler and Michaels, it's cringeworthy seeing him call it the Sweet Chin Music which is the name of HBK's finisher. It's like if Kevin Owens started calling his Stunner, the Stone Cold Stunner. It's just makes WWE look bad as they can't see to let go of the past.

I'm just watching the Becky Lynch documentary on the WWE network and maybe I missed it the first time around but she seems genuinely pissed off about the poster on the front of the staples centre for survivor series after she can't compete in the match with Ronda. I mean she was probably still dealing with the affects of the concussion but she wasn't a happy bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah she was. She said the poster would've been done up before her concussion so the concussion wasn't the reason. Same way she was pissed off about Sasha and Charlotte getting the Wrestlemania figures.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah she was. She said the poster would've been done up before her concussion so the concussion wasn't the reason. Same way she was pissed off about Sasha and Charlotte getting the Wrestlemania figures.
    Ah that presentation of the figures to Sasha and Charlotte and Becky sitting there like a spare at a wedding was unbelievable awkward.

Von Erich or hart family ???

Who was ultimate wrestling family ?

Von Erich family history is crazy and very sad. Same with harts with Owen and another son (cant think of the name) dying young

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Von Erich or hart family ???

Who was ultimate wrestling family ?

Von Erich family history is crazy and very sad. Same with harts with Owen and another son (cant think of the name) dying young

Depends really. The Von Erich's legacy in Texas is pretty legendary and they were big draws there. The Hart family would probably be more well known to mainstream fans because of the Hart Foundation.

As far as who the ultimate wrestling family was? I only know a little bit about the Von Erich family so I can't judge objectively. All I'll say is, it's a shame we never got a feud between the two families. I feel like it might have been a huge storyline in the 80's if it were done in their territories. The Von Erichs would be the babyfaces in Texas Versus the Heel Hart Family, but in Calgary the Hart family would be the babyfaces and the Von Erich's would be the heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Guerreros have some pedigree as well. As do the Anoa'i family.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And don't forget the Dudleys...

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/JazzOOSoto_WWE/status/1157858805423771648?s=19

Never expected Cain Velasquez to be able to do this without turning into dust

Advertisement