Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

20 years ago today we had the fall out from stone cold locking triple h into a room with a rattlesnake. Tonight twenty years ago triple H would appear on smackdown doing his best Mikhail Gorbachev impression on the side of his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

as a life long fan of wwe, id never abandon them entirely, but right now i feel i need a prolonged break for at least a couple of weeks... this is supposed to be an exciting time for wrestling fans, but given the nonsense of smackdown (the draft is a farce), the disaster of hiac, underwhelming raws, shorty gable, cuck storylines etc etc i just cant watch at this moment... the next few weeks are going to be painful as they drum up interest for crown jewel before banging on about supremecy for survivor series... and its all meaningless short term planning and bollocks...

from listening to various wrestling pods on a regular basis, a big problem stems from us as fans fantasy booking scenarios, feuds and matches and then we get frustrated when they fail to deliver any of these.. they simply dont care about what the fans want and are VERY reluctant to give us what we want. they ruin any thing that's promising (hello wyatt) and feed us the same ****e over and over.

we are severly over saturated with content and its difficult for even the most hard core fan to consume everything every week. but this would be a lot easier if the product, for the most, wasnt absolute crap. ill keep an eye on nxt and aew deserves a look in, but for the next few weeks, while ill read smackdown and raw results, i simply cannot watch for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

If anyone hasn't read/ listened to Justin Roberts book, Best Seat in the House, highly recommended! One of the best wrestling books I've read in ages!

Nice insight on working backstage in WWE and the insane workload and travel schedule.

Also he was there for some huge moments, the Network launch, Benoit's death, Punk leaving etc

Plus his story on the Connors Cure thing is very interesting and equally disheartening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

brianblaze wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't read/ listened to Justin Roberts book, Best Seat in the House, highly recommended! One of the best wrestling books I've read in ages!

Nice insight on working backstage in WWE and the insane workload and travel schedule.

Also he was there for some huge moments, the Network launch, Benoit's death, Punk leaving etc

Plus his story on the Connors Cure thing is very interesting and equally disheartening

I don’t know why but I could never stand Justin Roberts and still can’t

sky88 wrote: »
    I don’t know why but I could never stand Justin Roberts and still can’t

Did you read the book? Might change your mind and explain why you didn't like him!

• Advertisement

Did you read the book? Might change your mind and explain why you didn't like him!

No never as the dislike was there he’s kinda like Matt striker I just instantly dislike there announcing/commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Because he was the reason Daniel Bryan got fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What was said ?

sky88 wrote: »
    No never as the dislike was there he’s kinda like Matt striker I just instantly dislike there announcing/commentary

He's just a big wrestling fan, but nowhere near as grating as Striker. He goes big into the bullying in WWE and the 'only push the ones you like' culture. Kinda dismantles Triple H's new carefully crafted 'saviour of the business' persona too, highly recommended

Is the wwe backstage show on tv at all??

• Advertisement

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Is the wwe backstage show on tv at all??

It's on FS1 in America but I don't think it's on here at all.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What was said ?

Roberts was the guy who brought Conor backstage in the first place, the one who his family always got in touch with and one of the first people they told when the kid passed away.

WWE whitewashed him from the story completely to push Stephanie's public image as a charitable soul and WWE as a company being so great. Even Daniel Bryan only met Conor a few times

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Because he was the reason Daniel Bryan got fired?
    no Daniel Bryan got himself fired by acting the gowl by deciding to choke the ring announcer on camera with the guys own tie.

Is it not a bit weird that some dork is nicknamed The Architect but he’s also obsessed with burning stuff down

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Is it not a bit weird that some dork is nicknamed The Architect but he’s also obsessed with burning stuff down

The Architect is dead, now he's the beast/monster/fiend slayer.

The word gowl was used above and it's very apt for Rollins. Never has there been a bigger gowl as the guy in WWE. Even Roman at his worst had a fraction of sympathy to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The CM punk comeback rumours are gone very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Roberts was the guy who brought Conor backstage in the first place, the one who his family always got in touch with and one of the first people they told when the kid passed away.

WWE whitewashed him from the story completely to push Stephanie's public image as a charitable soul and WWE as a company being so great. Even Daniel Bryan only met Conor a few times

That's just wrong. So wrong.

That's just wrong. So wrong.

Yep, they also had a Conors cure video, folowed by a text to donate numberbefore every show, which wsa just a constant reminder that they'd removed him from the story... Not a big deal, just a kick in the teeth. UNTIL Conors family were in the crowd and he told the video guys not to play the video, as it would obviously upset them, but they did it anyway. Apparently he couldn't even get the words out so just left the ring when the video started

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I haven’t read the book so I’m asking more than commenting here, but is he mad because he didn’t get credit for bringing Connor’s case to light? I’m not sure I understand the reason he’s angry. Did he want them to not have Connor do all that cool stuff? Or to have Connor do it but have commentary say “Oh, Justin Daniels is the guy who knew the family” every time he was shown on screen or what?

It all seems very petty and I doubt the family would like to have their deceased son constantly brought up in an ex-employee/employer dispute. Even now, we’re not talking about what a great kid Connor was or how awful cancer is and what we can do to help kids/families like his, his situation is being used as a stick to beat Stephanie McMahon with. I doubt that’s what his family would like his legacy to be but it’s how he gets brought up now because of this book.

Not at all, he's mad they turned it into PR. He mentioned Stephanie's tweet from years ago mentioning that charity was the new marketing.

He wrote a blog about it

• Advertisement

The charity stuff for any company is mostly for pr but if it’s helping sick children who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I read that there and I’m still not sure it’s not petty. It seems his issue is that he wasn’t a part of Connor’s in-ring deal when it was his idea, which doesn’t really matter because the end result was that Connor still got to have his moment right? Like if that was really what Justin wanted because he was so benevolent, he got it, so what’s the issue exactly? The only thread remaining is that he’s unhappy he wasn’t a central part.

Like his story essentially goes “I’m not a bitter ex-employee but...” (“I’m not a racist but...”), then goes into how WWE doesn’t appreciate good employees that do stuff behind the scenes like Mark Yeaton, then describes how he did everything behind the scenes with Connor, then the emotional gut punch is supposed to be how Triple H was in the ring instead of him when Connor had his moment, which was Justin’s idea. But that’s only a gut punch if you view it from the lense where Justin is the main focus. If Connor is, and he should be, again he still got to have his moment. And he seems oblivious to the fact that he’s guilty of the same thing he’s accusing WWE of: he’s invoking Connor’s name to generate interest in this blog and take shots at WWE, and later to sell books. Even people here are invoking his name as a stick to beat WWE with. At least when they invoked his name, the end result was money going to charity. None of it is a good look for anyone involved, but WWE has a good end result at least.

The Stephanie quote is poor form, no doubt. But it’s more naive of her to admit it, when in truth all big corporations like WWE use charity as a way to build their brand (many use it as a tax write-off too). AEW are guilty of this too: remember Kenny Omega tried to use the victims of gun violence as a reason people should watch AEW’s charity show over Evolve? That was pretty disgusting, but he gets a pass because he’s ‘cool’ and does flips and ****.

All we’re getting here is a bunch of self-obsessed narcissists arguing, “No, these horrific things should benefit ME and make ME look good.” Nobody here looks good, Justin included, it’s just a petty mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Isn't that what happens when anyone in the entertainment industry writes a book (though I'm sure there are many who write one with honorable intentions especially if they've led an interesting enough career) spin it from their POV to make them look good, better than usual,everyone else be damned. It is show business after all.

20 years ago tonight the hardy boys and edge and Christian had the now famous ladder match in the best of five T.I.T(Terri invatarional tournament btw) at no mercy 1999. I did tape this and watched it live and compared to today where the fans will pop on anything ladder related, the crowd in the arena and probably those of us who watched it at the time took a bit of time to work out what we were mean to do doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Daniel Bryan is like this every week on the Bella's podcast, I'd probably listen to it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/diva6p/daniel_bryan_hilarious_promolike_debate_on_women/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    20 years ago tonight the hardy boys and edge and Christian had the now famous ladder match in the best of five T.I.T(Terri invatarional tournament btw) at no mercy 1999. I did tape this and watched it live and compared to today where the fans will pop on anything ladder related, the crowd in the arena and probably those of us who watched it at the time took a bit of time to work out what we were mean to do doing.

You could say that match was the precursor for the TLC matches. From that match, we later got the Triangle Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 2000 with The Dudleys, The Hardy and Edge and Christian, then we got the TLC matches at Summerslam 2000 and Wresltmania 17. Was a beautiful time for the tag team division.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You could say that match was the precursor for the TLC matches. From that match, we later got the Triangle Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 2000 with The Dudleys, The Hardy and Edge and Christian, then we got the TLC matches at Summerslam 2000 and Wresltmania 17. Was a beautiful time for the tag team division.

Not to mention the Tables Match in between at Royal Rumble 2000 between Hardys and Dudleys when Jeff swanton bombed off the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Omackeral wrote:
    Not to mention the Tables Match in between at Royal Rumble 2000 between Hardys and Dudleys when Jeff swanton bombed off the balcony.

Definitely fair to say! Come to think of it I can't think of any other teams in WWE's late '90s to early '00s outside of that trio besides Too Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Omackeral wrote: »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Very interesting how everything seemed to build to the TLC Matches. They really build those feuds up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On that note: I guess The Dudley Boys are the greatest tag team in history. When you look at what they've done.

Advertisement