Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,165 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What t-shirt would've been the biggest waste of money, in the sense of a storyline change or title change? Maybe someone released a new title themed t-shirt just before losing the title.

There was a shirt released for the very short-lived Jericho and AJ tag team. They released a Y2AJ shirt and they lasted a week before Jericho turned on AJ.

Becky had a Becky two belts shirt not long before she lost one at MITB.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

I can't imagine Benoit merch being a huge draw prior to his murdering.

Never heard anything to that effect so I doubt it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

I think this is the worst state WWE has been in since I remember which is twenty years.

If RAW stays at is there in huge trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I think this is the worst state WWE has been in since I remember which is twenty years.

If RAW stays at is there in huge trouble.

Totally agree, worst it's been since the mid 90's for me. Despite that fact they have:

Biggest Talent Pool
    Most Money in the bank (pardon the pun)
    Highest profile advertisers
    Most lucrative TV deals

Boggles the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In my case social media is deff helping me keep up with this new wrestling war

In too young to remember the wwf vs wcw vs ECW stuff in the 90s but I imagine its was a little more difficult to follow with social media/internet not been what it is today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Do people here think the WWE women’s revolution was ever a sincere move by WWE or was it a marketing ploy by Stephanie amongst others in the company to help build the brand of WWE ?

Listen I’m delighted that the women in WWE were given the chance to show that in some cases they are as good as their male counterparts in the ring. Maybe it’s the way American company’s seem to be not be very subtle about it and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Do people here think the WWE women’s revolution was ever a sincere move by WWE or was it a marketing ploy by Stephanie amongst others in the company to help build the brand of WWE ?

Listen I’m delighted that the women in WWE were given the chance to show that in some cases they are as good as their male counterparts in the ring. Maybe it’s the way American company’s seem to be not be very subtle about it and obvious.

I'm leaning heavily towards Option #2.

If it was sincere, it would've come about without needing Stephanie's involvement, but alas it didn't.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm leaning heavily towards Option #2.

If it was sincere, it would've come about without needing Stephanie's involvement, but alas it didn't.

Yeah I hate to agree with you. It’s just there was a tweet about 185(I think) WWE female employees including wrestlers. And the phrase building your brand was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah I hate to agree with you. It’s just there was a tweet about 185(I think) WWE female employees including wrestlers. And the phrase building your brand was mentioned.

Plus it all ties back into what JR said when he fired back at Seth, the brand is more important. Or paraphrasing off the top of my head what he said anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well their all women PPV, to me, was both a vehicle for Ronda and a way to make up for the first Saudi PPV where no women were allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,561 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everything the WWE does is about marketing the Brand WWE and making money and very little to do with the actual wrestling product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Honestly I think the revolution was a bit of both a marketing ploy and then just realising that women a draws through ronda in the ufc

I also think that a big part of it was hhh having 3 girls and realising the potential impact of a revolution cause it all started in NXT and filtered through to wwe in time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably a bit of both. In this day and age a company will use anything as a marketing ploy. Women's revolution could have started off sincere until someone comes along and says we could use this to our advantage.

It's the same as the big companies being involved with charities. They make more money for charity with their names invovled and gives your brand name some brownie points for getting involved with charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Right around this time 10 years ago Hogan and Bischoff joined TNA Wrestling.

It really became the beginning of the end for old TNA. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It was starting too turn into WWE light before they came in and turned it up to 1000!

The nasty boys got deals and all.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In my case social media is deff helping me keep up with this new wrestling war

In too young to remember the wwf vs wcw vs ECW stuff in the 90s but I imagine its was a little more difficult to follow with social media/internet not been what it is today

If Twitter and Social Media was around 20 years ago I would safely guess the Monday Night Wars would not have happened as we know it.

The Curtain Call would have been all over the world in seconds and everyone would have known Hall and Nash were leaving.

Everyone would have know in seconds of Hall walking through the crowd that he wasn't still with the WWF and chants for Nash would have broken out.

That’s not something I would have thought. I thought he was that age as earthquake

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1187832193223188483?s=21

I wonder what Vince McMahon thinks is the reason that raw and smackdown are doing as bad as they are ratings wise ? I mean he’s not taking the blame obviously but I’d love to know what the yes people are blaming. I doubt Pritchard and the rest to the sycophants in WWE are blaming anything WWE related.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This new Chad Gable gimmick could be the best or worst thing for him. I think people will show support for him in spite of the gimmick, but WWE will take that as people liking the gimmick.

I knw its a while away but would love a new rumble winner, someone like Drew McIntyre

• Advertisement

I knw its a while away but would love a new rumble winner, someone like Drew McIntyre

What you mean new rumble winner? The last two winners were first time winners in Nakamura (don't think anyone saw that coming) and Rollins.

What you mean new rumble winner? The last two winners were first time winners in Nakamura (don't think anyone saw that coming) and Rollins.

Not a repeat winner like Roman or Orton again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

We've had 2 newbies in a row tbf, and the "proper" winner as well

I want one totally out of left field, can have the other title match be a proper marquee one (eg Rollins vs Reigns) and give someone a rocket boost by winning

Ricochet or Joe would be a good shout, or a main roster move for Adam Cole or Velveteen Dream

We've had 2 newbies in a row tbf, and the "proper" winner as well

I want one totally out of left field, can have the other title match be a proper marquee one (eg Rollins vs Reigns) and give someone a rocket boost by winning

Ricochet or Joe would be a good shout, or a main roster move for Adam Cole or Velveteen Dream

Could see it being Ali. Don't think there's many repeat winners who'd be up there as top picks unless they go for Randy, a push with his contract coming up for renewal but then again I'm sure a bumper new contract would suit him better than a Rumbe win or Reigns who has been kinda under the rader since his comeback that maybe they're waiting until the Rumble before strapping a rocket to him again.

He's on Smackdown so would have to win the rumble to face Seth.

Adam Cole is a great shout.

Number 30 entrant, "SHOCK THE SYSTEM!" It would be a fantastic moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Surprised there hasn't been a match involving the stoning of a homosexual in Saudi Arabia, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

sky88 wrote: »
    That’s not something I would have thought. I thought he was that age as earthquake

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1187832193223188483?s=21

Yeah, well Earthquake's look in WWF was thinning hair, beard and big belly. It's a look which tends to make one look older in years, so subconsciously we all probably thought that Earthquake was, like, 42 or something.

regardless of what we all think about hogan these photos are really cool to see

https://twitter.com/WWERomanReigns/status/1189887649378701312?s=20

Brock vs The Fiend to unify the titles at Survivor Series so Brock can work both Smackdown & RAW.

• Advertisement

What is with WWE's photo department? They blast everyone with airbrushing to a comical degree...

https://imgur.com/9QbyLkV

Why does Bayley have ice blue eyes?!

Advertisement