Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

sirmanga wrote: »
    And it seems everyone, especially celebrities, are not allowed be aplotical on Twitter (and other social media platforms). Staying out of it even draws heat on you. If a celebrity says they don't want to talk politics, they are called a closested right winger. You can't win.

Jericho could interview Barrack Obama next week to balance things out and he would still never be forgiven by some of these Twitter people for having the President's son on his podcast.

Also, you have weirdos like Jim Cornette calling for a boycott on AEW because the Khan family donated money to Trump's campaign. Jeez, some people need to get a life.

Like I think the trumps are vile human beings but like it’s the shock from most people I mean I’d say most of the wrestlers are republicans but they did the same with that picture the mcmahons had with trump

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »

Don't you stalk wrestlers at their hotels though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't you stalk wrestlers at their hotels though!?

I had nothing to do and was young at the time ha. I'm not the only person to do that and theres far worse people than me

Nowadays **** that its see them at the show and pints before and after ha

Going to be a long night Friday with the double tapings in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

montyrebel wrote: »
    not sure whether it was utv or itv but remember watching wcw on sat afternoons after knightrider and baywatch and before watching the footy scores coming in

This is what I'm wondering about, ITV was divided into regions in those days and my local cable TV provider, CMI, aired UTV as opposed to any of the English regional versions of ITV.

I remember being surprised a few years ago reading about WCW on ITV in the early 90s because I don't remember WCW in the early 90s at all and I didn't even know WCW existed until the latter half of 1998 when I got Sky Digital on the week of King of the Ring. Sometime after Royal Rumble 1994, my Sky Sports 1 became unwatchable and Sky Sports 3 never worked for me when it launched in 1996, so King of the Ring 1998 was the first PPV I had watched in 4 years and the go-home Raw for that PPV was the first-ever episode of Raw I had ever watched.

Fast forward to a few weeks after the start of school and I have vague a memory of a conversation with a classmate of mine in primary school, where he told me there's another wrestling show on after Cartoon Network and I acknowledged its existence because I think I discovered WCW just that weekend gone from the "WCW sucks" or "Nitro sucks" fan signs in the Raw audience.

My family moved back to Ireland at Christmas 1991 and I can remember WWF storylines from 1992 alright, so I just don't comprehend how I missed WCW, especially since it aired at a child-friendly hour on a popular channel. The only plausble explanation I could think of was that UTV didn't pick up WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I can confirm UTV did infact show WCW back in the mid-90s. It was in between the usual afternoon shows like Baywatch. Did not last long tho.

Used to watch it before Superstars on SKY :) Ah man, Superstars was great.

• Advertisement

yea i defintley remember seeing sting and being instantly hooked as a fan of his

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

With NXT wargames happening this month I will suggest that people watch the 1992 Wargames from wrestlewar 1992. It's the best Wargames match I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    With NXT wargames happening this month I will suggest that people watch the 1992 Wargames from wrestlewar 1992. It's the best Wargames match I've seen.

This will be sacrilege to many as it’s a really popular match but I watched it a couple years back and don’t get the hype. It was like watching old Royal Rumbles, for me, where you can tell it’s probably special for people who’ve never seen anything like it before but doesn’t hold up once you’ve seen them evolve. I much prefer the more recent matches they’ve done over the past couple of years tbh.

leggo wrote: »
    This will be sacrilege to many as it’s a really popular match but I watched it a couple years back and don’t get the hype. It was like watching old Royal Rumbles, for me, where you can tell it’s probably special for people who’ve never seen anything like it before but doesn’t hold up once you’ve seen them evolve. I much prefer the more recent matches they’ve done over the past couple of years tbh.

Well leggo if it wasn't yourself or the vast majority of posters on the pro wrestling forum it probably be sacrilege as yes it's over 27 years since the match took place but to me personally I love the match. I'm only 34 but I just have a love for old school wrestling and stuff like that. I mean I'd watch the Flair vs steamboat trilogy of 1989 constantly and never get sick of it. I watch the wrestlemania VIII matches of ric flair vs savage title match and piper and Bret hart matches and still love them.

The only thing I'd love for the modern wargames to do it put the roof back on and because the cages they use are better than the ones WCW used we would avoid the double pilman mess from 1991. The cage roof would be higher now.

Apologies I didn’t mean you as in people who’ve never seen anything like it before, that read that way, I meant more at the time it was unlike what they’d seen before. Don’t get me wrong, I love a bit of 80’s myself, I’m an old school tag-team geek. But I could just never get into older War Games matches. I guess it’s because I grew up without them so the name never meant anything to me like, say, a Royal Rumble would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

sky88 wrote: »
    yea i defintley remember seeing sting and being instantly hooked as a fan of his

I remember that time well that's when I first got into wrestling, we didn't have Sky at the time. I loved Vader, and Flyin Brian Pillman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surfer Sting, Mean Mark, Stunning Steve Austin and Big Van Vader's debut with his big smoking mask

In the list of Irish wrestlers in WWE where will Becky rank when it's all said and done(and hopefully sheamus, Becky, and Finn aren't the end) ? It's just the WWE 24 on Becky is on the live channel of the network and the fact that a female Irish wrestler was given such a big push by WWE still blows me away at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sheamus will be tops. He has every single title and accolade besides the IC title. Just needs that for a complete clean sweep of everything. Multiple time world champ, multiple time US Champ, multiple time tag champ, KOTR, MITB, Royal Rumble winner.

With that said, fans have never been into him and neither have I. Becky will have had the most impact, Sheamus the most achievements and Finn....I'm sure Finn has sold a lot of t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Give me a Becky, Sheamus, Balor Table for 3 talking about the early days of the Irish indie scene please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

In the list of Irish wrestlers in WWE where will Becky rank when it's all said and done(and hopefully sheamus, Becky, and Finn aren't the end) ? It's just the WWE 24 on Becky is on the live channel of the network and the fact that a female Irish wrestler was given such a big push by WWE still blows me away at times.
    Good question. I'd say Sheamus is WWE's biggest Irish star ever. He was on top at a time when more people were watching wrestling than when Becky was on top. Becky was on top from November 2018 to WrestleMania 35. WWE stripped her of her magic between those months with their convoluted booking of the three way main event in the run up to Mania. Sheamus probably didn't reach the heights of Becky but he lasted longer in a prominent role in front of more eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not forgetting Sheamus was Rocksteady. :D

sirmanga wrote: »
    Good question. I'd say Sheamus is WWE's biggest Irish star ever. He was on top at a time when more people were watching wrestling than when Becky was on top. Becky was on top from November 2018 to WrestleMania 35. WWE stripped her of her magic between those months with their convoluted booking of the three way main event in the run up to Mania. Sheamus probably didn't reach the heights of Becky but he lasted longer in a prominent role in front of more eyeballs.

People don't consider week-to-week booking decisions when evaluating a wrestler, that's just recency bias. For example while you say that you're also not considering that, by and large, loads of people HATED when Sheamus was first pushed on top. Him beating Cena for the belt felt, for many, totally random like when Jinder won the title (although we obviously had a different response here). Remember everyone talking about how he was only getting pushed because he was Triple H's mate? He only started being accepted by fans after he changed up his look and turned heel, and in terms of titles etc that would be the less successful period of his career.

Love this topic though, loads to think about and discuss without being able to get a definitive answer. Becky's greatest achievement (being/winning in the Mania main event) absolutely dwarves everyone else's: you're talking about something even absolute legends never got to achieve (Flair, Dusty, Roberts etc). If she continues to stay on top then she'll be the easy answer to this question in a few years. Balor's biggest achievement (being the first champion of a legitimate World Title) also probably outdoes Sheamus, then you have to consider stuff outside WWE like creating the Bullet Club and the overall impact that had on the business. So I'd put Balor/Sheamus around even. If Devlin goes onto have a Balor/Becky-level run on the main roster, he'll have a case as regularly selling out stadiums over here, putting Irish wrestling on the world stage and being pivotal in the launch of the NXT UK brand are already big achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Don't think it's any major revelation to say Becky was the one with the odds most stacked against her the way she was booked. Shéamus and Becky will have a job for life shilling the E. Balor will as well if he wants to.

leggo wrote: »
    People don't consider week-to-week booking decisions when evaluating a wrestler, that's just recency bias. For example while you say that you're also not considering that, by and large, loads of people HATED when Sheamus was first pushed on top. Him beating Cena for the belt felt, for many, totally random like when Jinder won the title (although we obviously had a different response here). Remember everyone talking about how he was only getting pushed because he was Triple H's mate? He only started being accepted by fans after he changed up his look and turned heel, and in terms of titles etc that would be the less successful period of his career.

Love this topic though, loads to think about and discuss without being able to get a definitive answer. Becky's greatest achievement (being/winning in the Mania main event) absolutely dwarves everyone else's: you're talking about something even absolute legends never got to achieve (Flair, Dusty, Roberts etc). If she continues to stay on top then she'll be the easy answer to this question in a few years. Balor's biggest achievement (being the first champion of a legitimate World Title) also probably outdoes Sheamus, then you have to consider stuff outside WWE like creating the Bullet Club and the overall impact that had on the business. So I'd put Balor/Sheamus around even. If Devlin goes onto have a Balor/Becky-level run on the main roster, he'll have a case as regularly selling out stadiums over here, putting Irish wrestling on the world stage and being pivotal in the launch of the NXT UK brand are already big achievements.

It's amazing we as Irish wrestling fans are having this conversation about the huge success three wrestlers have had over the past ten years. I mean in my wildest dreams did I(and sure I'm not alone) think a Irish wretler would be world champion multiple times and that a female Irish wrestler would be part of the first women's main event at wrestle mania.

• Advertisement

Today is the 14th anniversary of the death of Eddie Guerrero. I remember the sunday night going onto the internet and and wwe.com and seeing that picture. And I know the WWE network has music edits and other edits. Some I understand but the fact that amazing tribute video was dubbed annoyed me.

Today is the 14th anniversary of the death of Eddie Guerrero. I remember the sunday night going onto the internet and and wwe.com and seeing that picture. And I know the WWE network has music edits and other edits. Some I understand but the fact that amazing tribute video was dubbed annoyed me.

i still remember being in my friends playing smackdown vs raw and my dad ringing me to tell me he seen it on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Funny enough I was watching old clips of Eddie Guerrero the other day from when he was with Chyna back in 2000. That was a fun little storyline he was in, and it got him over huge with the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think even to this day Eddie's death may be the only celebrity death that really crushed me...

LON5.gif

He was such an entertainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

20 years ? I feel bloody old and I'm not. I can still remember on the raw the next night the "cops" questioning the rock and he ripping the piss out of them as only 1999 rock could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

"I did it for The Rock"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Funny enough I was watching old clips of Eddie Guerrero the other day from when he was with Chyna back in 2000. That was a fun little storyline he was in, and it got him over huge with the fans.

I remember that storyline being great. Fu*king hell Chyna looked amazing around then. Her finest and I do belive her Backlash 2000 appearance was jaw dropping :pac:

Shame about Eddy tho. He'd only be 52. That would still be too young to die let alone 38!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Theres a wrestling action figures episode on netflix for season 3 of 'The toys that made us'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Theres a wrestling action figures episode on netflix for season 3 of 'The toys that made us'

Nothing to do with wrestling but the Turtles one is very interesting too. If your of a certain age I'd definitely recommend it.

Advertisement