Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Have listened to a number of shoot interviews about Cowboy Bill Watts. That guy must have the worst reputation in wrestling. Everybody seems to hate him.

Also Ole Anderson and Gene Anderson were nasty pieces of work too.

Everyone bar jim Ross who thinks "the cowboy" walks on water.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad or good about gene Anderson, but Ole is known for being a mean spirited bastard who may at one time have liked people in wreslting but at this point seems to hate everyone. He's the end form of jim cornette if jim isn't careful.

Ole was a very good promo though and his lengendary feud with dusty Rhodes is one for the ages with him turning on dusty in the cage at the Omni.You don't get fans climbing a cage nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 60,563 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Becky's promo's and her cadence and annunciation of words really does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Becky's promo's and her cadence and annunciation of words really does my head in.

its an Americanized irish accent mcgregor did the same but it happens a lot of actors too not just irish christian bale even does it for example

hell listen to regal talk normal to his nxt voice very different

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The hybrid accent has to be done I guess. if she spoke like this...

She'd probably need subtitles for the American audience. I do want to hear her call someone a knacker though.

Jesus yeah I’d say she probably does still talk like that when she’s at home in Ireland. I think martina or session moth martina has a much more pleasant Dublin accent that Becky does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Session Moth should have a rougher accent for her character. She's meant to be from ''da flats'' but she's not got the voice down at all. Small nit pick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I’m already of the ratings talk the nxt/aew fans or stans as the kids call them anazlying everything too much and making excuses for whoever wins in demos blah whatever

There both great shows can’t we just enjoy wrestling without having to pick a side

sky88 wrote: »
    There both great shows can’t we just enjoy wrestling without having to pick a side

We can! That's exactly what I do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Omackeral wrote: »
    Session Moth should have a rougher accent for her character. She's meant to be from ''da flats'' but she's not got the voice down at all. Small nit pick though.

She did when she first started with the gimmick, or at least tried to. But to be fair the gimmicks taken off to a level where just being irish or a dub is enough. Doubt anyone in roppongi knows the difference between Dundrum and inchicore..... She could probably skanger it up a bit for ott but that would be confusing for people who subscribe to multiple vod services.....

If we swapped the accents the characters would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Just bought tickets for smackdown, survivor series(ring side), Raw and AEW.

Please let them be good shows!!! And CM Punk show up lol.

It's a lot of wrestling for one week!!

Chicago crowd going to be nuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don’t think she’d have caught on as much everywhere else if she had roughed it up to the points that, say, The Lads From The Flats did. Their accents and mannerisms were absolutely spot on but it also made the gimmick very regional, I mean if you’re even outside Dublin you might struggle to connect or appreciate it.

I think what she’s done is genius tbh: do a gimmick that resonates but in a way you can take it anywhere and people just translate it to their country’s equivalent (while also being able to understand what you’re saying). Sure even look at how the real life version, Conor McGregor, has to change his accent and cadence in interviews to be able to connect internationally. As Hynesie said, she tried it the other way and made adjustments to suit as she goes and you can’t argue with the success, I think a lot of us would’ve thought that gimmick would never translate internationally but she’s made it so. Even the way she just switches to just ‘Martina’ for more serious matches, it gives promoters multiple ways of using her to fit any situation which is ideal to make it on the indies.

I personally found it quite jarring when I heard her doing the promo for the Meiko match, took me right out of the character and kinda took away the suspension of disbelief in a sense. But I take those points certainly, well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I do get that, like it was a total character shift. But I think it was just one of those things where OTT don’t have a set grounding in reality and can go meta when it needs to. For that match she was essentially Karen wrestling an idol on a big stage, but we all know she’s Karen anyway (and she sells merch with that too) so everyone goes with it because we want to see it. It’s fair if it jars and doesn’t click too though, it is a risk on their part to take someone so established out of character for a big match and that’s bound to happen for some.

If you like that obsessive, kinda nerdy consistency with character (like I do) and don’t already follow it, NJPW are great to follow. It can be tough to get into because it can be so detailed with years of history often weighing over one match, but there are explainers out there to help and it rewards you the more you follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

2pacshakur wrote: »
    Just bought tickets for smackdown, survivor series(ring side), Raw and AEW.

Please let them be good shows!!! And CM Punk show up lol.

It's a lot of wrestling for one week!!

Chicago crowd going to be nuts!!

Enjoy brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We're just going to have constant CM Punk chants in Chicago now, aren't we? It's WWE's job to make sure they don't get to that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

CastorTroy wrote: »
    We're just going to have constant CM Punk chants in Chicago now, aren't we? It's WWE's job to make sure they don't get to that point.

I'll shout out "hes a prick" in tune with the chants, ke4p a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So, uhhh...anyone want to explain to me why the darts are on instead of AEW tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

It ain't too late to submit a name if you haven't already: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023811

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

So, uhhh...anyone want to explain to me why the darts are on instead of AEW tonight?

because they are better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

montyrebel wrote: »
    because they are better?
    Hmmm?

Pete Dunne is the English version of Shorty G.

Pete Dunne is the English version of Shorty G.

Jesus does Pete Dunne owe you money ?

The undertaker interview with Austin that aired last night in honestly some of the best stuff they've put up on the WWE network in the over five years of it being around. Everyone should watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭ThePott

Watching it now. It's surreal hearing the Undertaker out of character this much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

That interview could of gone a few more hours. They should try and get The Rock on Austin show.

That interview could of gone a few more hours. They should try and get The Rock on Austin show.

I read that we got 1hr 40 minutes of a total of 3 hours in total.

The story around the wrestlemania 30 brock match and the concussion was scary. He said he doesn't remember past 3:30pm the day of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The SquaredCircle subreddit is one poisonous Meltzer echo chamber shìthole. Unfortunately it's generally the best place for highlights and news links.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The SquaredCircle subreddit is one poisonous Meltzer echo chamber shìthole. Unfortunately it's generally the best place for highlights and news links.

I think I've been on there twice ever. Reddit in general can be a weird part of the internet. Did metlzer say something about Corey graves today ? I ask because Corey replied back strongly at meltzer.

• Advertisement

That Broken Skull Session with Austin and Taker was brilliant the best thing the WWE have done in years.

I could have watched and listened to them talk for another couple of hours.

Advertisement