Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Indian Devils Advocate

That gimmick had so much promise for Sean O'Haire, I remember the promos were really good

A devil's advocate type gimmick could work for Seth Rollins esp now

Sean O`Haire was one of the coolest looking dudes ever and could of been a mega star but sadly never worked out for him and lost his battle with personal demons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Necro wrote: »
    That time of year again, usually kicked off by now.

Is there much appetite for the annual PW Draft folks? I'd be willing to run it if there was interest.

I think this may be the first year of the draft without the BWA :( don't expect to be as active at all for the next several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Even though Bret Hart was before my time, this was always a cool moment. I wish they left it at that instead of having a WM match between Bret and Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Im not an NJPW fan in any sense, but upon seeing them doing 2 days for their biggest event, will WWE follow suit and make Mania a 2 day event

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It kinda is a two day thing now with NXT and add in the Hall of Fame and you have a 3 day event.

I can't see them starting on a Thursday and making it a 4 day thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

With smackdown on Fridays that’ll stop that too

Even though Bret Hart was before my time, this was always a cool moment. I wish they left it at that instead of having a WM match between Bret and Vince.

That was a cool moment but my god that Vince match was a trainwreck

A lot of scores were settled behind closed doors that night I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Roughly a year ago Dean Ambrose was cutting promos in a gas mask and getting beaten in a very short match on Raw by EC3, while Hideo Itami was stuck in 205 Live purgatory.

Fast forward 12 months and Jon Moxley is one of the hottest acts in pro wrestling, set to challenge for the AEW championship and with a dream match against Minoru Suzuki on the horizon, while KENTA is one of the most hated figures in wrestling and set to challenge the first ever double IWGP champion. Not a bad turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Roughly a year ago Dean Ambrose was cutting promos in a gas mask and getting beaten in a very short match on Raw by EC3, while Hideo Itami was stuck in 205 Live purgatory.

Fast forward 12 months and Jon Moxley is one of the hottest acts in pro wrestling, set to challenge for the AEW championship and with a dream match against Minoru Suzuki on the horizon, while KENTA is one of the most hated figures in wrestling and set to challenge the first ever double IWGP champion. Not a bad turn around.

Moxley/Suzuki will be great, and it was such simple booking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

HHH's return from injury at Madison Square Garden was 18 years ago today. The idea of someone born that day being down the pub is freaking me out a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

cian68 wrote: »
    HHH's return from injury at Madison Square Garden was 18 years ago today. The idea of someone born that day being down the pub is freaking me out a bit

Ah well, at least they're not on the local green drinking cans like they've been doing for the last 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I don't know who's in the rumble but I'll be putting money on any and all giants to win it.

Take the Big Show for example, there's no way anybody could get a 500lb man over that top rope?!!

Could the Big Show take Brock in a real fight?

I don't know who's in the rumble but I'll be putting money on any and all giants to win it.

Take the Big Show for example, there's no way anybody could get a 500lb man over that top rope?!!

It's a disadvantage to be a 'big man' in the rumble cause they will all target you

If I remember correctly Undertaker was the only big man to win a rumble. Kane, Great Khali and Big Show never went on to win it. Mark Henry too

Yokozuna won he was probably the heaviest of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldn't be putting money on it anyway, but everyone has a punchers chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Big Show won in 2000, kind of. Led to the 4 way match at Mania with a McMahon in every corner

Big John Studd was the original, he won the Rumble before it was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Big Show won in 2000, kind of. Led to the 4 way match at Mania with a McMahon in every corner

remember Big Show got dropper from the No Mercy N64 game and his spot in the mania match went ot Stevie Richards haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Big John Studd was the original, he won the Rumble before it was cool.

Did Hacksaw Jim Duggan not win the first?

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did Hacksaw Jim Duggan not win the first?

Yeh Duggan 88, Studd 89, I meant the original big man to win. Studd won the first 30 man if we're getting technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Na. The Great Khali battered the Big Show in a real fight. And Khali could barely take a step without looking like he'd fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No, he'd destroy the Big Show in 30 seconds. Maybe 10 seconds.
    sirmanga wrote: »
    Na. The Great Khali battered the Big Show in a real fight. And Khali could barely take a step without looking like he'd fall over.

Nah that was a fumbling handbag fest that last 10 seconds which neither won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Yeh Duggan 88, Studd 89, I meant the original big man to win. Studd won the first 30 man if we're getting technical.

No no - no technicalities here! Just got confused over if you perhaps thought Studd one the first one.

How would Big John fare in today's WWE i wonder? He was a massive mountain of a man, was he 6' 10"" or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    No no - no technicalities here! Just got confused over if you perhaps thought Studd one the first one.

How would Big John fare in today's WWE i wonder? He was a massive mountain of a man, was he 6' 10"" or so?

To quote the late great gorilla monsoon, "somewhere in that neighbourhood yes."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sirmanga wrote: »

He did?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

From Jericho's Book

TL;DR, Big Show wasn't battered, he fell over on a chair
    “The Great Khali and The Big Show had been at odds for years, as they had what the boys called ‘Giant Heat,’ which meant they resented each other because they were both Brobdingnagian (best word in this book). They had spent their lives being the biggest person in the room, astonishing specimens that everybody stared at and instantly feared. Now, for the first time, they had to deal with competition for that honor and neither of them liked it. Khali was taller, Show was better in the ring, and each was jealous of the other as a result.

We were in Aricebo, Puerto Rico, having a tag match against Khali and Taker. It was the first time I’d ever wrestled Taker, and experiencing his ring entrance live was surreal. When the lights went out and that Taco Bell gong hit, there was no feeling like it. The crowd hushed in awe, then went bat**** when the blue lights pierced the veil of darkness, and Vince McMahon’s greatest creation slowly marched to the ring. He stalked his way up the ring stairs and took off his hat to expose the pure whites of his eyes as his tongue rolled out of his mouth. Creepy, classic, and exhilarating, all at the same time.

The match itself was nothing special, highlighted only by Khali stealing one of Show’s spots right in front of his face. Show had this trademark move where he took a guy into the corner, shhh’d the crowd with his finger, and delivered a BRUTAL overhand chop that sounded (and felt) like it had caved in his opponent’s chest. It hurt like a mutha, but always got a huge reaction, which made it a little more bearable. Khali had stolen it from Show and used it all the time during his matches, even though Show had asked him more than once not to. But who was going to stop him? Khali was seven feet tall and didn’t give a s**t what anybody thought, especially his nemesis, The Big Show. But even still, he had huevos El Gigante to do the chop right in front of Show’s face.

‘M**********r just stole my move,’ Show mumbled on the apron, and I knew something was gonna go down. He was mad as hell and wasn’t going to take it anymore.

We were in the dressing room after the match, and Show was still fuming, steam practically bellowing out of his ears. When Khali came in a few minutes later, the s**t was on.

‘Hey, m**********r, why do you keep stealing my spots, huh? That’s total bull**** and you need to stop it now!’

Let me say that I really like Khali and respect what he’s done because I know what it’s like to be the only foreigner in the locker room who doesn’t speak the native language. He still made every effort to fit in, despite the fact that his minimal knowledge of English, deep voice and heavy accent made it almost impossible to understand him at first. He peppered every sentence with liberal doses of bro and man, and they were the only words you could understand at times.

‘Wha’ you talkin’ ’bout, bro?’ Khali retorted, his accent as thick as his upper torso.

‘Don’t play that innocent bull**** with me! I’ve told you before to stop stealing my stuff. You can’t do any of it properly anyway because you’re the f****n’ ****s!’

Khali stared at him stoically and replied, ‘You’re the ****s too, bro.’

That made me laugh in spite of the tension; I thought it was great that Khali didn’t deny he was the ****s, but wanted to make it d**n clear that he felt the same way about Show . . . bro.

That pushed Show over the edge and he threw Khali’s bag in the corner, which was the equivalent of slapping him across the face with a glove and challenging him to a duel. Khali accepted and rose to his feet as quickly as he could (which took about five seconds).

The two biggest men in WWE history stood face-to-face and I’m not sure either of them knew what to do. Show had spent some time training as a boxer, and Khali had been a police officer in India (can you imagine running through a stop sign and seeing that monster walking up to your window?), but I wasn’t sure how many actual street fights either one of them had been in. I mean, they were giants; whoever messed with them in the schoolyard? I guessed that, due to the intimidation factor alone, they had avoided fisticuffs for most of their lives.

But this was different. This wasn’t just about stealing spots, this was years and years of “Giant Heat” coming to a head. It was the law of the jungle and only the biggest beast would survive. Plus there was going to be a fight no matter what; they had gone too far to back down now and the boys were watching. Taker, Kane, Regal, Punk, everyone was gathered around now, and to p***y out at this stage would be locker-room respect suicide.

A few seconds later, Show threw the first punch, which connected with a loud smack to Khali’s overdeveloped jaw. It rocked him backward, but he didn’t go down and Khali landed a punch of his own. With the opening shots fired, the floodgates opened and the two titans began swinging like Tiger Williams. I counted at least five more smacks and cracks as the blows connected with each other’s faces, shoulders, necks, and chests.

I had a front-row seat for King Kong vs. Godzilla and they were in a fight to the death. Nobody in the locker room was too keen to break them up either, and besides, how could we? Their fists were as big as my head! If I tried to intervene, I was going to get swatted away like a biplane trying to shoot Kong off of the Empire State Building. And I wasn’t the only one who felt that way. Cody Rhodes was hanging in the corner as far away from the melee as possible, and even though Kane had the size to intercede, he was wearing only a towel and I’m guessing he didn’t want to get involved in case it fell off and exposed his big red machine.

The battle raged on until finally Show took a wild swing and tripped over a chair, which caused him to crash onto the floor with Khali on top of him. The boys waded in at that point to pry them apart and the fight was over. The brawl was fairly even, but Show still insists he lost because Khali landed on top.

Now, if we were judging by the rules of a hockey fight, then yes, Show lost, but from where I was standing, it was an impressive back-and-forth scrap. Show might not have lost the battle, but he definitely lost the war when Vince made him apologize to Khali for throwing the first punch, during a closed-door meeting a few days later.

Show apparently told Khali that he was out of line and shouldn’t have swung first (although in the George Lucas rerelease, it was Khali who swung first) and that it wouldn’t happen again. Khali nodded his head and said, ‘No problem, bro.'”

Big show comes across as a gentle giant but I imagine behind closed doors and out of the public he may not be so gentle

Oddly enough, I met Big Show at Dublinia! He was having a smoke out the back so I didn't ask for a picture! Cigarette looked like a matchstick in a pack of sausages!

• Advertisement

Advertisement