Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think going to enjoy this YouTube series especially with Meltzer bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Big show comes across as a gentle giant but I imagine behind closed doors and out of the public he may not be so gentle

I met him before. Lovely fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Definitely wouldn't be in their interest to discredit him alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I’ve only watched about a minute of that and it’s pure fluff. Wrestlers will confirm the flattering stuff and deny the unflattering stuff, with the odd confirmation of something that’s public knowledge thrown in now and then to make the thing seem ‘credible’.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭BurnUp78

The Nal wrote: »
    No, he'd destroy the Big Show in 30 seconds. Maybe 10 seconds.

Nah that was a fumbling handbag fest that last 10 seconds which neither won.

How does the fight go down? Brock shoots for a take down? What if he slips and big show pummels the back of his head with his ham sized fist with 400 pounds of weight behind it? To say Brock beats him in 30 seconds is silly when there's a 100 pound weight disparity and almost a foot height difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watching the latest NXT and have to say this about Finn Balor... He is a wrestler and not a 'sports entertainer' if you get me?

His wrestling ability is a worth a million dollars. Good looking guy. Great body (not gay for the record lol) but he really doesn't have much charisma does he?

Not knocking the guy. He is a millionaire. Seen the world. Lived his life. More than me. Just an observation. But you would think being in WWE the last few years after honing his craft he would just expand on the ol' charisma.

Just watching the latest NXT and have to say this about Finn Balor... He is a wrestler and not a 'sports entertainer' if you get me?

His wrestling ability is a worth a million dollars. Good looking guy. Great body (not gay for the record lol) but he really doesn't have much charisma does he?

Not knocking the guy. He is a millionaire. Seen the world. Lived his life. More than me. Just an observation. But you would think being in WWE the last few years after honing his craft he would just expand on the ol' charisma.

He was very charismatic in NJPW

Was he?
    I know what you mean. A heel apart of the bullet club. Maybe being a heel suits him better but the man is a charismatic vacuum.
    But at the same time one of the most successful wrestlers of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

But at the same time one of the most successful wrestlers of all time.

By what metric?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭ThePott

cian68 wrote: »
    By what metric?
    Two-time winner of the BOSJ, Three time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion, Six Time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Champion.

Longest Reigning NXT Champion, First Ever WWE Universal Champion.

Founder of the Bullet Club one of the biggest stables of all-time which you could argue about being on of the driving influences in NJPW's expansion in the West and even potentially AEW.

Whether you're a fan or not the guy's had a pretty successful career and is definitely up there in more modern times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ThePott wrote: »
    Two-time winner of the BOSJ, Three time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion, Six Time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Champion.

Longest Reigning NXT Champion, First Ever WWE Universal Champion.

Founder of the Bullet Club one of the biggest stables of all-time which you could argue about being on of the driving influences in NJPW's expansion in the West and even potentially AEW.

Whether you're a fan or not the guy's had a pretty successful career and is definitely up there in more modern times.

Also one of the driving forces of helping NXT grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

ad201cae63268286482e37204500c36a.jpg

Steampunk Becky was the best

MMyers wrote: »
    ad201cae63268286482e37204500c36a.jpg

Steampunk Becky was the best

Knacker Knox was the biz

brianblaze wrote: »

Knacker Knox was the biz

Knacker Knox was great, but steampunk was loveable and looked great

I guess that's true. Being steampunk didn't get Becky to the top, infact she was constantly screwed in title matches

I guess that's true. Being steampunk didn't get Becky to the top, infact she was constantly screwed in title matches

Probably the one time not 'turning your personality to 11' has worked. She's too funny and pun loving to be main event, but a bad ass hybrid of the Lass Kicker worked wonders. Apparently HBK was the one who gave her the inspiration to do it when they shot a movie together

Probably the one time not 'turning your personality to 11' has worked. She's too funny and pun loving to be main event, but a bad ass hybrid of the Lass Kicker worked wonders. Apparently HBK was the one who gave her the inspiration to do it when they shot a movie together

I would've liked to see how she would've faired in the Attitude or RA era. Imagine her vs Trish or Lita

I would've liked to see how she would've faired in the Attitude or RA era. Imagine her vs Trish or Lita

In the Attitude Era, they were still just T&A to be honest. Now is the best time to be a female wrestler. She'd have been called Becky Holly or been a valet for the APA or something!

In the Attitude Era, they were still just T&A to be honest. Now is the best time to be a female wrestler. She'd have been called Becky Holly or been a valet for the APA or something!

True. I'm glad i'm getting to see her in her prime

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    Also one of the driving forces of helping NXT grow
    I was thinking this exact thing just after I posted. He really was the face of NXT when it became massive.

Weird thought today!

You know how fans are always sad for wrestlers when they're 'not pushed enough' like EC3 or whatever and feel like they should leave and go somewhere they'll get pushed?

For me, whe I was working office jobs and all, my goal was to work as little as possible and get paid for it! These lads know what they're doing!

Weird thought today!

You know how fans are always sad for wrestlers when they're 'not pushed enough' like EC3 or whatever and feel like they should leave and go somewhere they'll get pushed?

For me, whe I was working office jobs and all, my goal was to work as little as possible and get paid for it! These lads know what they're doing!

This. This is why WWE are by far the best company for wrestlers to work for on paper: you get guaranteed (decent) money, even if you’re injured or not being used. You get the most amount of exposure that you can use to maximise earnings elsewhere (see Sheamus with his YouTube channel now for example, he probably gets the equivalent of a second full-time wage just from that). And, if you play it smart, you can use your time there to parlay it into a decent living afterwards from so many different angles, or you can get a job for life within the company too once you retire.

For all the legitimate injustices in wrestling, people getting mad about someone not being used well by WWE Creative is among the most pointless, yet it’s the one you arguably see the most! They get portrayed by fans as victims or hostages and they’re probably laughing every day while getting a 6-figure salary to stay healthy, work out and spend time with their family.

cian68 wrote: »
    By what metric?

His bank balance.

On a sidenote, Bobby Heenan said it best. Which I do believe was in the self destruction of the ultimate warrior DVD (I could be wrong but almost sure) and that was "It's all about the money"

Personal achievements in wrestling are fine. Achieving goals in wrestling are fine. But it's all about the money at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

But it's all about the money at the end of the day.
    We've found the third man of Money Inc.

We've found the third man of Money Inc.

:pac:

It's true tho. Everything in life is all about the money :p
    Let alone in a predetermined sport.

It’s a job like. It’s not ALL about the money, which is why even though WWE are the best place to work on paper you’ll have people with valid issues opting out and people still there vociferously defending them. But it’s about evaluating things in the way you’d evaluate any job: does it pay enough to give you and your family the life you want? Do you get on with the bosses? Does it leave you creatively fulfilled? And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Yeah I thibk the creative thing and job satisfaction can't be understated, I'm sure some love the general security, like Mojo Rawley and Jinder Mahal. All though not doing anything of note but still making a fantastic wage. But someone like Dean Ambrose has an ambition to create art.

Bit like Jason Newsted, loved playing in Metallica making butt loads of cash, but had a creative itch that he needed scratched away from Metallica and he needed to fulfil that.

I made great money in the bank for years, had a very healthy job trajectory planned, but decided I needed to fulfil some dreams and aspirations, I left and it has paid off, I've never looked back despite a bit of initial financial insecurity. It's great collecting a paycheck, but better collecting it doing something you love. Austin said on tough enough , if you don't come into this business wanting to be the heavyweight champion, you shouldn't be in the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

WWE held a PPV called Great Balls of Fire less than 3 years ago.

Although I'm sure I thought it was a rubbish name at the time, I must have blocked it out. What the hell was going on!?

• Advertisement

Was definitely a weird one-off PPV. Totally baffling they named it that and then nearly got into legal trouble with Jerry Lee Lewis. Vince really catering to the young demographic with a 50s Themed PPV in 2017 complete with a music theme as old as most of the roster's parents.

Remember it being a half decent PPV probably mostly remembered for Joe vs. Lesnar

Advertisement