Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I love the little shade to Goldberg probably booked for next Saudi show

https://twitter.com/wweromanreigns/status/1218591092356067328?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Rather than taking the piss out of him cutting his head, surely he should have referenced the time he ruled himself out for months smashing the window with his bare hand no

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rather than taking the piss out of him cutting his head, surely he should have referenced the time he ruled himself out for months smashing the window with his bare hand no

Yeah that car window spot wasn't the brightest moment ever. I mean if you watch it it's clear fairly quickly that something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I really like how RVD has reinvented himself on Impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I really like how RVD has reinvented himself on Impact.

Don't watch Impact, how did he reinvent himself? All I got from Google is a heel turn and him on a bed with roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Adiboo wrote: »
    Don't watch Impact, how did he reinvent himself? All I got from Google is a heel turn and him on a bed with roses.

Hes basically a sleazy divorced Dad in midlife crisis gimmick. Hes making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Randomly popped in my head the other day that most wrestlers names fall into 4 categories.

- Using a word as a surname:
    Eg: Lance Storm, Roman Reigns, Kenny Omega, Randy Savage.

- Using two first names:
    Eg: Keith Lee, Daniel Bryan etc.
    An 's' can also be added: Mark Andrews, Kevin Owens and Shawn Michaels.

- One word names:
    Eg, Edge, Rhyno, Christian, Mankind etc. Can be prefaced with 'The' as well. Rock, Untertaker etc.

Normal first and second names:
    Obviously in recent years that's the case with most. Randy Orton... Seth Rollins, you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Randomly popped in my head the other day that most wrestlers names fall into 4 categories.

- Using two first names:

- One word names:
    Eg, Edge, Rhyno, Christian, Mankind etc. Can be prefaced with 'The' as well. Rock, Untertaker etc.

Obviously in recent years that's the case with most. Randy Orton... Seth Rollins, you get the idea.

Isn't that all names :-)

Isn't that all names :-)

Well I've never met anyone with just the one name in my life :pac:

"So mate what's your name?"
    - "Bridge"
    "Bridge what?"
    - just bridge man. Just bridge.

:pac:

- "Bridge"
    "Bridge what?"

Pele, Ronaldo....

I mean everything falls into those 4 categories

• Advertisement

Pele, Ronaldo....

You know they have surnames right?

You know they have surnames right?

So does Mick "mankind" Foley

Anyways I'm not looking for an arguement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Pele, Ronaldo....

Pele and Ronaldo have very long names they've shortened down significantly.

And Sting wasn't even really called Sting! And neither was the other Sting! He wasn't even really a cop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

- Using two first names:

- One word names:

Raven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another mania without taker is the rumour and he is basically only doing the Saudi events

He is major part of the deal cause hes old school

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How come no one did the obvious reply?

*Ahem*

- "Bridge"
    "Bridge what?"

Get over it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Another mania without taker is the rumour and he is basically only doing the Saudi events

He is major part of the deal cause hes old school

Good the sooner taker steps away completely the better. He was a disaster against Goldberg. Sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate those deep intakes of breath Becky Lynch does in her promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hoped those deep intakes of breath Becky Lynch does in her promos.

She's painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As far as wrestling-level acting goes, I think she's one of the most natural sounding promos.

Joe is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

David Starr or Eddie Kingston are probably the most natural promos in wrestling. Not that contrived wrestling-speak with over-acted facial expressions. You can totally buy into what they are saying as truth from their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

David Starr or Eddie Kingston are probably the most natural promos in wrestling. Not that contrived wrestling-speak with over-acted facial expressions. You can totally buy into what they are saying as truth from their perspective.

Yeh they are both excellent, I'd have Jericho, Nick Aldis and Jay White up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Yeh they are both excellent, I'd have Jericho, Nick Aldis and Jay White up there too.

Ye great promos, though I'd have Jericho/Aldis down as real "wrestling" type promos, it's tough to explain but their delivery is quintessential pro wrestler, rather than Starr or Kingston (and possibly White to an extent) who come across more like very articulate MMA fighters or particularly aggressive politicians :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As it's past midnight it's now the twentieth anniversary of the 2000 royal rumble which includes so many memorable moments including the tables tag match,the debut of Taz, mae young traumatising the live audience, taka michinoku taking a HOF hopper from the ring to the arena floor of MSG, the amazing WWE title street fight which made me apreciate HHH far more than I had before that and the rumble match itself even if the finish was a bit sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It’s one of those that’s better in your memory. Not a bad card by any means, Triple H/Cactus Jack is spectacular and holds up, but the Rumble match is a bit all over the place and the finish just confused everyone instead of being the payoff it should’ve been (Rock’s only ever Rumble win and when he was officially ‘taking over’ as the guy in WWE). But yeah, one more to remember fondly rather than risk it by watching the full PPV. Watch the Street Fight and the Hardyz/Dudleyz and you’re set.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tazz’s debut was one of the loudest pops I’ve heard. Absolutely unreal moment at the Garden. Angle deserves credit for his pre match promo too.

I have very fond memories of Royal Rumble 2000 (Stupid Channel 4 being on a delay!) I would go as far and say it is one of the greatest PPV's all of time as it had a lot going for it.

- That Tazz debut was amazing indeed. Probably second best WWE/F debut ever behind Jericho debuting months previous.
    - Hardys vs Dudley Boys basically set up the TLC from that match.
    - Cactus and Triple H was a great match.
    - I really liked the rumble. Had that great attitude era mixture of talent.
    - MSG looked great with that grafitti entrance.
    - Only 6 matches unlike todays big WWE shows where they seem to go hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think 2000 was best year of WWF. The only thing that sucked that year was WrestleMania. It was the year that I got into wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was that the table match where both members of the team had to be put through a table? And think it didn't count unless they were put through consecutively. Don't think they've used those rules since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was that the table match where both members of the team had to be put through a table? And think it didn't count unless they were put through consecutively. Don't think they've used those rules since

Loved those rules. Makes it like a cross between a sports match and video game: you can’t stop the tag partner from interfering anyway after they’ve been eliminated so the core of the match stays intact, but there’s a big bullseye on whoever hasn’t gone through a table yet. I love matches like that with (non-complicated) rules that keep me constantly thinking and engaged.

Advertisement